PDA

View Full Version : How is 450R in the woods?

mascman
04-30-2004, 03:07 PM
I am loking at the new 450. It will be used for balls out, rock bashing, PA woods riding.

How does it handle the roots and rocks? Is it more suited to the MX track...I'm not into that.

Our group consists of 3 ex hare-scramblers. We try to take an easy ride, and then before you know it we're screaming through the woods...I know alot of you guys know what I'm talking about!

How easy does it kickstart...is it tempermental when it gets hot?

Any info is appreciated.

MX#9
04-30-2004, 03:11 PM
I think it is an awsome quad for the riding you describe. Not as friendly as the 400ex for when you slow it down a bit, but still a whole lot of fun. Piece of cake to start,hot or cold,and no battery to think about. You will need to back all the preload off of your shocks and then start tuning it.

kazpr
04-30-2004, 04:27 PM
MX#9 summed it up!!

Pappy
04-30-2004, 04:29 PM
if i was going to build a quad for the woods it would be the 400ex, not the 450R. dont get me wrong I love my R but a kick *** built 400 will be with a R in the woods and the biggest benefit is that it has the E-Start and parts are a dime a dozen

Out_Sider
04-30-2004, 07:09 PM
aight, Pappy, he's one for you. what would be better to have for mx racing, a 450r or a race ready 400ex? i've been trying to decide this for some time now, and just cant made a decision.

Pappy
04-30-2004, 08:14 PM
well, here is my 1.4 cents:p

if you are riding a built 400ex now, then i think the 450R will be the ticket. with similiar mods to the R as a mx ready 400ex and the rider being able to use what more the R offers it would be my pick.

now, if your just starting out in mx, and have a 400, stay with it. nothing beats expierence and you get that by riding and racing and as long as you arent "out riding" the quad its more then enough.

a built 440 or highly pissed off 416 with proper suspension and equal riders will not have much trouble staying with any stock R or YFZ on the mx track or in the tree's. However, as the rider skill level increases so will the distance between that 400 and the 450's.

lilredridenwood
04-30-2004, 10:05 PM
:D i love my 450R in the woodsafter Iput a 13t front sprocket on. As far as starting after it is warmed up one kick is all you need, when I havent run it in acouple weeks it is tempermental getting it fired.

sparky450AR
05-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Ill do a repeat post, 13T front sprocket, awesome torque. And one thing i really like is how well they are holding up in GNCC with a small amount of upgrades. You will love this bike.

lukester720
05-01-2004, 01:16 AM
I really like the feel of the R in the woods. I traded off with one of my friends back and forth yesterday who has a z400 with stock shocks and it made me appericate my R a lot more. I have a 39 tooth on the rear and it feels just right for what I like. You can't put around a whole lot which I like because it makes me ride harder. IMO it would take a good size amount of money to get a stock 400ex or a z400 up to par with the R in the woods. My 1 complaint about the R in the woods is the stock skid plate. If you get stuck in the mud that plate is like an anchor on there, it digs in like a shovel or something. Also IMO the kickstart is great on the R. The only time it gets hard to start is if you flip it on its top for a minute other than that its great. I know the magic button on my 400ex has left me stranded in the wood a time or 2.

sparky450AR
05-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by lukester720
I really like the feel of the R in the woods. I traded off with one of my friends back and forth yesterday who has a z400 with stock shocks and it made me appericate my R a lot more. I have a 39 tooth on the rear and it feels just right for what I like. You can't put around a whole lot which I like because it makes me ride harder. IMO it would take a good size amount of money to get a stock 400ex or a z400 up to par with the R in the woods. My 1 complaint about the R in the woods is the stock skid plate. If you get stuck in the mud that plate is like an anchor on there, it digs in like a shovel or something. Also IMO the kickstart is great on the R. The only time it gets hard to start is if you flip it on its top for a minute other than that its great. I know the magic button on my 400ex has left me stranded in the wood a time or 2.

I agree, it would take some money to get a 400 up to par. The axis shocks I have on the 416 are better dont get me wrong. But for this bike being stock, the shocks are excelent when setup right.I was thinking about cutting that lip off of the rear skidplate so it wouldnt dig...but besides that, i actually really like the stock skidplate.

One time down at the hat/mccoy trails my 330's battery failed. I had to push start that bike all day long. I personally would rather kick it twice rather than that happening. and im not trying to sound like a prick, but if you think it would be too much of a hassle, or cant kick a bike once or twice to get it started you sholdnt be on a sport bike.

mascman
05-01-2004, 10:55 AM
All good info guys!

I have ridden dirt bikes all my life...kickstarting is not a bother to me. I've also had a Quadracer and that was a kicker, so it would be just like old times!

I'm going to check one out today...thanks again.

05-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by mascman

I'm going to check one out today...thanks again. the dealer is gonna talk you into buying one :blah:

mascman
05-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Actually, my buddy is the sales manager. He said I could have a Z400 for $5100.

If the 450 comes out to too much, then I'll probably go with one of those. He didn't try to steer me towards either...just mentioned the good points of both.

I talked myself into the 450!:devil:

sparky450AR
05-01-2004, 02:46 PM

I talked myself into the 450!:devil:

good boy:)

exridr420
05-01-2004, 04:53 PM
i basically only ride woods and i think it is an amazing quad all round. it takes a couple of days to get used to the gearing and i was thinkin of changing it to a 13t but now that im used to it, i dont need it at all.

05-01-2004, 10:58 PM
the engine noise scares me..expecially during lugging...it sounds nothing like my 400ex but im glad its normal...is it bad for the engine to lug it around?

mascman
05-02-2004, 08:33 AM
What is the story on the light front end? I read to put on a 13 tooth for better torque, then I read about the front end lifting too easily.

I am coming from a Warrior that is built to around 30 to 32 hp. On trails it is very difficult to pull the front end up at high speeds. I have to lean way back and pull as har as I can...of course at lower speeds, it's no problem.

My brother says that his 400ex is the same, so I'm guessing that it's just at very high speed everything is a little harder to pull up.

My built Warrior is faster than his piped Ex, but the Ex has more torque, so i figured he'd have an easier time than me.

I am going to run 23" Holeshots in the front and 22s in the rear...I'm thinking I'll need to re-gear anyway. Will the 13 be Ok?

sparky450AR
05-02-2004, 09:47 AM
What is the story on the light front end? I read to put on a 13 tooth for better torque, then I read about the front end lifting too easily.

I am coming from a Warrior that is built to around 30 to 32 hp. On trails it is very difficult to pull the front end up at high speeds. I have to lean way back and pull as har as I can...of course at lower speeds, it's no problem.

My brother says that his 400ex is the same, so I'm guessing that it's just at very high speed everything is a little harder to pull up.

My built Warrior is faster than his piped Ex, but the Ex has more torque, so i figured he'd have an easier time than me.

I am going to run 23" Holeshots in the front and 22s in the rear...I'm thinking I'll need to re-gear anyway. Will the 13 be Ok?

yes 13T will be ok, especially with the bigger tires. Let us know when you get the beast, and if you have anymore questions. You probably wont have anything to worry about, go have fun.

sethg
05-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Lugging sound is normal. Goes away if you put a pipe on it. I can lug in 3rd and be able to pull a wheelie without double clutching (I have a pipe on mine)

mascman
05-04-2004, 02:48 AM
The 450 is in my shed as I type! I like the quad, but it feels very tippy compared to my Warrior which was low and wide. It feels strange to me to be sitting on top like that. I guess I just got used to the feel of the old-style layout. Hopefully, it doesn't take too long to get accustomed to!

I'm going to get my Holeshots mounted today (Tuesday) hopefully. I picked up the 13 tooth and will change that too.

I also have a belly skidplate from my Warrior. A quick look seems like I can make it work on the 450.

Any suggestions on the shock settings for woods? It feels a little too stiff right now, but i realize it is right off the showroom floor. Has anyone noticed the shocks breaking in with a little bit of time on them?

sethg
05-04-2004, 05:46 AM
They were wayy too tight, back off all the springs all the way off.