PDA

View Full Version : Skyhawk 50 starts then stalls

mascman
04-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Did anyone have this problem?

When I start up our 50, it will fire and then die right away.
I put in a new plug. I made sure the gas was flowing since they have the automatic petcock thingy.

If i hold the starter, it will fire...die...fire...die sort of in a pattern. Could this be electrical?

The carb doesn't dump gas out the overflow so I don't think the floats asre stuck. Could it be that crappy electric choke? It won't run with it plugged or unplugged.

Anyone have suggestions before I start buying pieces that I don't need!

I'm going to put a 70 kit on it and figured I'd tear the carb apart then...anything to look for?

foleyit
05-01-2004, 11:51 PM
These are just guesses. I know on the Skyhawk 50s they have two kill switches the tether, and the lead line in the rear.

Eventhough you put in a new plug, make sure that your plug is getting a spark. My guess is that either one of those kill switches are not in place. If you removed them, it is possible that the rear lead kill switch the wires came loose.

My '04 Kasea had the tether switch on the left grip, and a lead tether switch on the rear. I removed the rear socket and needed to splice the wires; the front tether switch if you just cut the leads and cover them up with tape it should be fine.

But definitely, check your plug before you start buying parts.

mascman
05-02-2004, 05:56 AM
I removed the rear tether a long time ago, and the handlebar one is plugged in.

I checked the spark when I changed the plug. It looked weak to me, but I never saw how strong it was before so I can't really compare it to anything.

It is definitely not as strong as a big bike...should it be?

I thought maybe the coil was going bad, but the bike hasn't been ridden that much. I would be pretty disappointed if something electrical went bad already.

foleyit
05-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure how much how strong the spark is supposed to be. All I can say when I was checking for spark, I was holding the spark plug wire and socket 50/50 and hit the starter button, and I felt the shock and it was pretty strong in my hand up to my forearm.