PDA

View Full Version : HMF jetting

dannyboy20
04-30-2004, 12:21 PM
ok my cousin and i just installed s new hmf slipon on his 03 Z400. We removed the snorkle and installed a 170 main. When riding it seamed like it wasnt to powerful at all. Im guessing the main is too big. We live in massachusetts about sea level and was wondering what everyeon uses for a main jet and if this could be the problem ?

suzukitony64
04-30-2004, 09:30 PM
i use a 160 main in the summer and a 165 in the winter but ive also raised the pilot two sizes up and that made a huge difference so much so ive done 2 other z's. I have a muzzy pipe no snorkle,drilled out lidd and a k&n pro-flow filter kit it runs awsome with no flat spots :D
Try a 155 first, alot of guys look at the plug for indication of lean or rich i find that cleaning the baffle tip and then after runnin i use my finger to look at the carbon deposit , real black to rich grey or nothin to lean it should be a light sooty deposit and when not sure check the plug always check the plug i only use the exhaust for a quik analisis

spincr4hire
05-05-2004, 07:05 AM
I have the HMF slip-on.
I run a K&N filter w/Outerwear (with NossMac adaptor). Modified lid with Outerwear lid cover, 165 main jet. Had to adjust the air-mix screw out a turn or two also.

z400ACDC
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I have the same setup as spinc with a 160 Mikuni main and I think it is 3 turns out on the air screw. It ran great on the 165, but was just a tad on the rich side.

nemesis
05-25-2004, 07:04 AM
How do you change the jets? I am new to quads so I am new to this stuff.

Does anyone have a link on some installation instructions?

Ericthered rdr
05-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by nemesis
How do you change the jets? I am new to quads so I am new to this stuff.

Does anyone have a link on some installation instructions?

Go to z400central.com and do a search. That site is loaded with instructions on jetting. I highly recomend the kit from Alba (http://alba.buyol.com/Item/LTZ%2DJKIT.htm)

I installed this kit and it was super easy and dead on for my mods! (W/B Eseries full pipe, noss machine airfilter adapter w/ uni filter, EHS airbox lid, removed the snorkel, stage 3 jett kit)if you have any probs at all send me a PM. I will be glad to help and if you need more help I'll give you my Phone #

Eric

nemesis
05-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks