PDA

View Full Version : Oil?

YFZdave450
04-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Someone told me that Yamalube wasnt good for the motor. I think it would be good since its from the factory that makes YFZs. If someone knows anything about this or what a better kind of oil to use is then let me know.

thomez
04-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Yamalube should be fine but if you want the best you will have to get something on the level of Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Maxima, etc... - the top synthetics.

5valves
05-01-2004, 02:27 AM
break in with Yamalube is fine. dont run synthetic until after breakin.
I run Mobil 1 red cap

YFZ420
05-01-2004, 08:55 AM
HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH KLOTZ 10-40. I HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE JULY LAST YEAR JUST AFTER BREAK IN, AND WOULDNT USE ANYTHING ELSE.

powerstroke
05-01-2004, 09:28 AM
oil........now you have opened a can of worms..........lol. you will get 100 opinions from 100 different people. I only have one strong opinion when it comes to oil. run the viscosity that the manufacture tells you to run! A lot of people run thicker oil based on the theory that thicker oil offers better protection. All recent studies have pointed to the fact that 90% of engine wear occurs at startup. That is why most engine manufactures are recommending a slighter "thinner" oil these days. All the top companies have extremely high paid engineers that design these motors and recommend the oil the goes into them. If they say 10-30 I run 10-30....... I personally buy the cheap stuff. I go to walmart and buy the gallon jugs of penzoil or valvoline for about 8 bucks. I change my oil after every race or about 2 play rides. I change the oil filter every other oil change. I have been doing this for years and have never had an oil related problem. I race xc so i feel that it is necessary to change oil every race in order to rid the motor of the dirt , dust, gear shavings etc.. that contaminate the oil. Anyway just my 2 cents....... happy riding. Matt

yfzmike
05-06-2004, 06:23 AM
I run yamalube 4-r oil in my yfz . A friend of mine who races recommended it and no complaints here. He use to work for a dealer so I trust his advise.