PDA

View Full Version : Carb leaking lots of gas in on Pos.

LynchmobR
04-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey i have a 86 250R, when i turn the gas to the on position it takes a minute then all the gas starts pooring out of the over flow lines not just one of them but all of them i think theres three. does anyone know what might be causing this

thanks mike

hondafox440
04-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Sounds like the float is stuck, or the little pin that holds it in place has come out. Remove the float bowl from the carb and check it out..

wilkin250r
04-30-2004, 02:33 PM
It could be a few different problems, but they all result in the same thing.

At the bottom of your carb, you have a bowl, often called the float bowl. This bowl fills up with gas, and there is a little tube that runs (through your main jet and needle jet) into your intake.

Your floats are sitting in this bowl. When the bowl fills up with gas, it causes the floats to, uhh.... float.

Attached to these floats is a little valve with a rubber tip. When the floats rise, it causes this little valve to rise also, and the rubber tip will seal off the incoming flow of fuel. This is often called the float valve.

Your problem is that the incoming fuel is not shut off. Obviously this little float valve is not closing properly. This can have a few different causes.

1. There is dirt or something in the way so that the float valve cannot close all the way, or the valve is sticking.

2. Your floats are not floating properly. They can be broken, disconnected, or just plain sticking.

Your only option is to take the carburetor off, take it apart, and inspect and clean it. Get a manual, a can of carb cleaner, and a couple hours. Beer helps also, but only if your over 21. ;)