PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 week review on my yfz

yellowrider
04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
first off i have to say i was a little scared buying a yamaha. cause the dealers around my area is not like the honda dealer they dont have commen sense they do anything that book tells them. lol

it climbs hills like no other.. i am very confident with it . it may get me hurt..

the only thing i could say about this bike compared to the honda is.. on the honda you expect the front end to come up a little so you are ready for it and you get better at it.. while on the yamaha 96% of the time it dont come up and when it did today i almost panic... luckly i still had some skills with the clutch :D and rode it out like i meant to do it :cool:

this 75 % of the reason i bought it over the honda (hill climbs)
15% because it had electric start
10% beacause it has more power then the honda and handle better than the 450r i tested. ( im sure they didnt have it set up like all you other people on here have it sit up.. and i heard that it was a good improvement.)

cons
tires do not last long on this bike
sucks alot of gas
i dont get to ride it enough
hard to keep the swingarm clean
hard to change spark plug
skid plate sucks!! but i got a prm now
--------------------------------
pros
lots of fun
made me a better rider somehow (i climb much smoother on the yfz then i did on my 400ex)
Lands better than my 400ex

well its not really a good review but i was bored and had nothing to do ..

if you have any questions you can ask.. and no i havent had any kind of problems with it knock on wood..

but as soon as i got it i ran with the lights on and when i get off on it for breaks to let it cool down and talk with my friends i jsut keep the key on and park it in neutral so their is always something on .. so my battery shouldnt over charge or do anything wacky ..
:D

tkwarrior
05-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Here is an objective opinion:

If I was going to buy a new quad based 75% on hill climbs I would look for the bike with the most torque. Don't know what torque is then look it up.

If I wanted to do hill climbs then I would have said screw the YFZ/R and give me a VForce 700 ** ahhh torque **

15% electric start ... Seriously do you stall alot? Or is it because you stop alot while out riding?

10% more horsepower ... .9 horsepower is the difference
Checkout this link for stock dyno testing done between the YFZ/R. http://www.xcracing.com/gabe/dyno.htm

To each his own and remember this is just an objective opinion of your review. Oh and I'm also bored cause I'm stuck inside while it rains.

SuzukiRacr07
05-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by tkwarrior
Here is an objective opinion:

If I was going to buy a new quad based 75% on hill climbs I would look for the bike with the most torque. Don't know what torque is then look it up.

If I wanted to do hill climbs then I would have said screw the YFZ/R and give me a VForce 700 ** ahhh torque **

15% electric start ... Seriously do you stall alot? Or is it because you stop alot while out riding?

10% more horsepower ... .9 horsepower is the difference
Checkout this link for stock dyno testing done between the YFZ/R. http://www.xcracing.com/gabe/dyno.htm

To each his own and remember this is just an objective opinion of your review. Oh and I'm also bored cause I'm stuck inside while it rains. hill climb is no doubt easier on the YFZ than the R because the R has a light front end.... sum people just get tired of kicking when they know tey could be starting their quad at the push of a button (with the same weight as the R), and the horsepower isnt much different, but once u drag them, the YFZ outruns it w/ ease

yellowrider
05-02-2004, 06:58 AM
v forces suck hill climbing or maybe its the rider around here its a automatic!!!

the yfz is by far the best hill climbing machine out there.. you hold it at half throttle and you stay their at half throttle.. it doesnt lug out... and the step banks the shocks absorb the lip at the top .. its so easy..

i think you are trying to tell me you suck at hill climbing so you have to have a auto??

i came off my 400ex and thats another hill climbing monkey .. its been everywhere and i rolled it over like 3-4 times in 2 1/2 years. which is not bad considering i climb just about anything ..

the only hills i am not great at is the ones with jumps right in the middle and then require alot of clutching to get to the top of the next hill i find myself spinning to much and just getting lucky..

but the ones that are steep at the top are no biggie..

yellowrider
05-02-2004, 07:01 AM
also with electric start, if you stall on a hill and if you work quick enough you can still save yourself, but with kick start you are just gonna kick it and roll down the hill probably... i belive pappy did that at a race.. i am not for sure but i am pretty sure it was him saying someething like that.

anyhow electric start is a big deal because one its convient
two because i paid 6000.00 and its gonna have electric start!
three because i think a 2004 quad looks junky without a electric button its stupid!!

tkwarrior
05-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by SuzukiRacr07
hill climb is no doubt easier on the YFZ than the R because the R has a light front end.... sum people just get tired of kicking when they know tey could be starting their quad at the push of a button (with the same weight as the R), and the horsepower isnt much different, but once u drag them, the YFZ outruns it w/ ease

:rolleyes: do you actually own a quad?

yellowrider you got a steal of a deal for 6000. I've ridden a YFZ and it didn't fit me at all.

Pappy
05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
i'd have to agree, the yfz instills confidence on the hills. im not a big hill climb rider but i wasnt scared to hit anything i came up on while riding or racing. my R will get light in the nose and makes me work harder and be more cautious when tackling a big hill

MX#9
05-04-2004, 02:23 PM
I agree you do need to pay attention when climbing with the R. I do not have a YFZ to compare it to though. I do want to say that you can bump start the R almost as easy as a 2-stroker,maybe the YFZ too,I don't know.

yellowrider
05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
aberanthysonline.com

is where i got mine. anyone can get one that price..