PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of steering dampener

Florida400EX
04-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok guys, I'm not really too familiar with steering dampeners. I ride MX, and I would really like to know if it will help with handling, and fatigue. I don't want to dump a boatload of money on one, but if it helps that much, then I guess I will lay out the cash for one.
Thanks!

EvilJester400EX
04-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Steering dampers help with bumpsteer, basically, by getting one you will be able to go a lot faster than before only because you're not fighting the bars over the rough stuff. I noticed a nice improvement on my 400EX, but a huge one on my YFZ because I run 2 on the YFZ. I, personally, run Viper steering dampers.

muff
04-29-2004, 09:16 PM
I have a gibson (same as the denton, and others) it is really worth it and I'm glad i got it. i would definetly stay with the rebuildable one, i didnt install it right the first time and the shaft bent, luckily it only cost me $25 to get it fixed

QuadJunkies
04-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Ok guys, I'm not really too familiar with steering dampeners. I ride MX, and I would really like to know if it will help with handling, and fatigue. I don't want to dump a boatload of money on one, but if it helps that much, then I guess I will lay out the cash for one.
Thanks! I personally have Tendonitits all the way into my Elbows, I have rode mine for two years w/o one and could kick myself for not buying one sooner:grr: :o
I got a Denton rebuildable also, and tried it last week on the MX for the first time and all I can say is......WOW!!:eek2: HUGE difference in Fatigue and the wandering....Its worth every dime to buy one, I wont ride w/o one ever again........;) Tina

05-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Its worth every dime to buy one, I wont ride w/o one ever again........;) Tina

Yuuuuuuuup

thomez
05-01-2004, 09:02 AM
If your arms had voiceboxes, they would thank you.

Florida400EX
05-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah, but would it really help that much?!?!? I only have the mods listed in my sig, and I'm not gonna have my EX for much longer, so should I go ahead and buy one anyways?

JDiablo
05-01-2004, 11:23 AM
if your not going to have your EX for much longer then don't buy it then...just wasting your money....why are you selling if you don't mind me asking?

Florida400EX
05-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
if your not going to have your EX for much longer then don't buy it then...just wasting your money....why are you selling if you don't mind me asking?

YFZ450.

redroost85
05-01-2004, 01:37 PM
I got pretty 'nere a new PEP rebuildable one off a guy here for $75 shipped. It has been one the best things I have put on my ride. I don't know what the heck I did before without one!:confused: :)

sethg
05-01-2004, 03:49 PM
I dont know why but after a 2 hour race I could hardly push the bars because of the steering stabilizer, yes I had a denton...and it was on the lowest setting...too many turns in XC i guess.

thomez
05-01-2004, 03:58 PM
If it is noticeable just turning the bike normally, something is wrong... it is either setup wrong or installed wrong ... I don't know mine is there until I hit something like a tree root and the bars don't get jerked out of my hands...

JDiablo
05-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
YFZ450.

well get the dampner for that then;)

muff
05-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by sethg
I dont know why but after a 2 hour race I could hardly push the bars because of the steering stabilizer, yes I had a denton...and it was on the lowest setting...too many turns in XC i guess.

most likely you had it mounted wrong, and the shaft bent, causing steering to become very stiff...it happened to me once :o

sleestack68
05-03-2004, 08:42 AM
I've been thinking of getting one but I'm worried it will scratch up my chrome steering stem. How does it connect to the stem and will it scratch up the chrome?

05-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by sleestack68
I've been thinking of getting one but I'm worried it will scratch up my chrome steering stem. How does it connect to the stem and will it scratch up the chrome?

You won't see it if it scratches the stem because the part holding the stem will cover it up...:huh If that makes sense..:blah:

Doibugu2
05-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Rico
You won't see it if it scratches the stem because the part holding the stem will cover it up...:huh If that makes sense..:blah:

That's assuming you mount it properly the first time. I would buy some rubber and put it around your stem to stop the scratching.

05-03-2004, 11:06 AM
I also forgot to ask if this was on a big wheel or an actual ATV that goes off road:confused:

muff
05-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I also forgot to ask if this was on a big wheel or an actual ATV that goes off road:confused:

you wouldnt want to take it offroad you might scratch it :o

Live2Ride300
05-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by muff
you wouldnt want to take it offroad you might scratch it :o

LMAO

Out_Sider
05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
yea..scratching the chrome...lol....who cares if it stratches it, no one looks that close at it anyway, im buying the denton rebuildable probably soon, or either the PEP i cant make a decision.

sleestack68
05-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Hey, I just don't want my chome scratched. Does this make me less of a man?

batgeek
05-03-2004, 06:12 PM
yup. pretty much...

redrunner
05-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Just put on my denton, had to mill out bracket for the 300 frame. I think I might have scratched my serial number sticker though:eek2:
Just bustin' chops, The aluminum bracket probably wont do much to a hard chrome finish, not sure of the hardness of decorative chrome. I don't think rubber would be a good idea, you want a pretty secure and direct connection to make it really affective I think.

brazilian rider
05-06-2004, 04:44 AM
WHat about gncc?
Are they good for it?

05-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by brazilian rider
WHat about gncc?
Are they good for it?

Gonna have ta give that question a big ole HELL YEAH....:eek:

I crank mine on the stiffest setting there is for GNCC racing and the difference it makes is unreal..:cool: I"ll NEVER ride without a dampner ever again..

brazilian rider
05-06-2004, 07:03 PM
I don`t know how do you guys run/race with that thing!
I put mine on the lightest adjustment and it`s still the steering is so much harder than stock(without it)

I get arm pump very easily with it, can`t understand how people in MX can race with two!!!:huh

muff
05-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I put mine on the lightest adjustment and it`s still the steering is so much harder than stock(without it)

I get arm pump very easily with it, can`t understand how people in MX can race with two!!!:huh

you sure you mounted it correctly? :confused:

QuadJunkies
05-07-2004, 12:10 AM

I get arm pump very easily with it, can`t understand how people in MX can race with two!!!:huh my ole mans does that too,it an HPD one and its brand new, Im calling them this week to see WTF is up,its installed correctly too, but its rediciuosly STIFF:mad: Im guessing we got a bad one:confused:

cletusEX
05-07-2004, 12:26 AM
If your worried about it being to stiff then spend the money on one like a WER or a GPR. I ran a denton for a while and it stiffened up the steering on the highest setting. i switched to a WER and even on the highest setting it is still smooth and easy to turn the bars, but when I get into the rough stuff or clip a tree the bars are not yanked from my hands. The Denton style ones are better than nothing, but I won't run anything on my bike but a WER.

05-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by muff
you sure you mounted it correctly? :confused:

That's what I'm sayin...:confused:

brazilian rider
05-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I don't think it can be mounted wrong.
It' exactly how it's suposed to be on the manual.
Perhaos mine is broken like Quadjunkies

QuadJunkies
05-07-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't think it can be mounted wrong.
It' exactly how it's suposed to be on the manual.
Perhaos mine is broken like Quadjunkies Mine works great on my EX, can you get a pic up and let us see hows its mounted....They are right about not putting it on correctly can cause that too.....;)

brazilian rider
05-07-2004, 04:41 PM
sorry but I took off mine!!
I didn`t had a good experience with it

05-08-2004, 09:48 AM
sorry but I took off mine!!
I didn`t had a good experience with it

:( Return it if it's not operating correctly. If it is then it's not mounted up correctly. The stem should clank against the stops in the lower frame bushing. IF THEY DON"T then it's in a bind somewere. Trust me dude the things work great so don't give up on it yet.

muff
05-08-2004, 02:34 PM
if the damper is off the quad, on the lowest setting and you can barely push it or if there is uneven resistance on it then the shaft on it is bent!

only cost $25 to rebuild my gibson