PDA

View Full Version : warm engine tick

Alberta_Qaudin
04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
k, i posted this in another forun 2 but ya seem to get more replys here.
i got a tick in my engine after rollin my quad about a week and a half ago, that comes and goes when the bike is warm, what might it be and should a get it into the shop while its still under warrenty?

James Parent
04-29-2004, 09:11 PM
could be valves, or your cam chain is knocking, acutally i think you can adjust the tensioner or something, not 100% sure

cals400ex
04-29-2004, 10:04 PM
actually, we have a self-adjusting tensioner. however, it isn't uncommon for them to go bad.

the valves may need adjusted too.

mcmike
04-30-2004, 07:59 AM
If your quad is still under warranty, take it to the shop and ask them to listen to it run. It will have an automatic chain tensioner, they do go bad, but unlikely on a newer quad. Rolling your quad shouldn't have damaged the motor, make sure it's not something like your exhaust pipe guard rattling.

Alberta_Qaudin
04-30-2004, 09:27 AM
i checked for anything loose already...its kind of a high pitch ping/tick....i'de say it was normal but i can actually hear it come and go....when i'm runnin high rpms there times its loud enough to hear over my exaust.

exatak199
04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
it could be low octane gas what are you running now? try 94oct. that started to happen on mine and it went right away but it could be the valves too hard to say..... :confused:

foleyit
04-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Just another thing to think about. Had a tick in mine and ended up being an exhaust leak at the head.