PDA

View Full Version : elka shocks?

cals400ex
04-29-2004, 12:52 AM
i am kind of new to the whole aftermarket shocks. i am interested in the elka shocks from what i read. i have a few questions.

does elka make anything better than the dual rate, ssd, rezzy rears? are all of these adjustable with these options? i hear these are great shocks. i realize you can get the new spring and piece where you mount the shock to get more travel and better operation. i will worry about that later.

also, what is up with some rezzy's mounted on the shocks themselves and other rezzy's have the lines for front shocks? i do a little bit of everything as far as riding and i have been looking at tripple rate, ssd, with rezzy's. these sound good or is others better? i will end up getting new a arms, probably +1's or +2's at the most.

any advice or suggestions would be great. cal

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-29-2004, 09:37 AM
as for the rear shock it is fully adjustable with the ssd (can't get much better than that:). They say the linkage goes great with that shock (not a must but very benificial)

As for the fronts piggyback (mounted on the shock) or remote ressivor (has the lines) it is just personal preference on what style you like. I have the piggybacks they are pretty convenient when you take the shock off the bike.

The compression adj shock is nice to have if you do all types of riding. One day you trailride you can back the compression off for a smoother ride, next day you ride mx you can crank the compression back up for the jumps.

I started out with the economy no ressivor, they got the job done but now that I have compression adj ones I won't go back:)

hope this helps a little

Ex'r Marlin
04-29-2004, 11:02 AM
If you are thinking of getting a full set of aftermarket shocks, front and rear, and are thinking about the "Elka rear suspension link", I highly recommend getting it with your new shock order.

Elka will design the rear shock to accomodate the "Elka rear suspension link".

As for front shocks, I like the "piggy back" setup... Easier to install, easier to clean, easier to remove. Still a personal preference though...

Note: High recommendations here for Elka shocks and the rear suspension link... Wish I would have done it sooner!:D

Best wishes, and good luck!

cals400ex
04-29-2004, 12:51 PM
actually, i found a decent deal on a used rear elka that i just got. it doesn't have the rear linkage but i could always have that installed. personally, i would like the piggybacks too because they seem more convenient to me. as you can tell i don't know much on this subject. i may try to find some piggybacks and try them out. we'll see. thanks and other suggestions are welcome.

by the way, there is no performance difference between the piggybacks and the remote rezzy's?

Ex'r Marlin
04-29-2004, 01:16 PM
I do not believe there is any "performace differences" between the two.

As for the used rear Elka shock, does it have a red anodized collar/knob to adjustable rebound?

If yes... You may have a very difficult time getting the "Elka suspension link" on. I was unsuccessful in mounting it on. I ended up getting a new rear shock.

If no... And you have a round adjuster, like the one on our stock rear shock, you should have an easier time getting the link on.

Note: The red collar adjustable rebound style is the older design. The new design actually allows more travel than the old one. I believe you can get a new clevis (bottom) if you wish to update it.

Again, good luck!

Mikey
04-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Some people feel that remote rezzies cool better because of the oil in the lines. Is this a new style shock?

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/countypark/Shock%20001.jpg

cletusEX
04-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
Some people feel that remote rezzies cool better because of the oil in the lines. Is this a new style shock?

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/countypark/Shock%20001.jpg

They say that the remote reservoirs hold more oil due to the lines. I think this is why some say that they cool better. I personal run the piggybacks and love them.

Ex'r Marlin
04-29-2004, 02:50 PM
I too have heard that.

I willing to agree with that statement, but it would not change my mind on what style to get.

Yep... The rear shock picture has the newer style rebound adjustment that I stated earlier. It also has more travel than the older style.

400exBro
04-29-2004, 06:39 PM
if you are looking for a front set of elka shocks i have some for sale right now...
it is for a 400ex... if you are intersted please let me know...

LilDacktyle
04-29-2004, 07:33 PM
how do you want for the elka shocks

cals400ex
04-29-2004, 07:37 PM
400ex bro, pm me with the details on price, which ones, model, what valving, etc. thanks cal

by the way, the one i got is the older one. it has the red knob for rebound adjustment.

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 12:51 PM
what a-arms are needed to use long travel shocks?

i see many people who have long travel shocks. many of these people run +3 a-arms. are +3's required for some shocks or do you just need to revalve them to fit +2 or +1's?

muff
04-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
what a-arms are needed to use long travel shocks?

i see many people who have long travel shocks. many of these people run +3 a-arms. are +3's required for some shocks or do you just need to revalve them to fit +2 or +1's?

long travel shocks will not fit on standard travel a-arms. LT shocks are 19 1/4" eye to eye, standard are around 16.5" i believe

some companies make +1 LT a-arms for LT shocks for the XC guys but they are not as popular

Tommy 17
04-30-2004, 01:13 PM
i have long travel shocks (18 3/4 elkas) for arens +1 long travel a-arms... cost around 1700 - 1800$ for both

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 06:15 PM
will standard travel shocks fit +1's and +2's? what is the main benefit of long travel besides more travel? i assume it may make the bike sit lower.

well i am not into all out racing or anything. i am not sure what to get. i found some tripple rate, ssd, piggyback rezzy with comp adjustment. however there stardard travel and no rebound adjustment. would something like this be fine or how much difference do long travel ones make? how much difference does the rebound adjustment make?? thanks once again.

Tommy 17
04-30-2004, 06:30 PM
if ur just a weekend warrior and run B or C class those shocks will be perfectly fine for u!!!!

i had the exact same shocks before i switched to long travel (i only switched bc i got some extra money)

you really don't need rebound unless ur very good at setting shocks up... most poeple that have it don't know how to use it right and end up screwing it up worse...

std shocks will fit any +1 +2 +3 a-arms just as long as they are made for a 16 inch or std travel shocks...

the main benefit of long travel is not that u get more travel or sit any lower... its that since the shock is longer they can perfect the valving better... they have more valving to play with and that gives u a better ride... u may only have 1/2 inch more travel... but they can set the shock up better for u...

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 07:30 PM
what are something like used elka tripple rates, piggy back, ssd, compression adjustment, etc worth? consider them to be in average condition.

Tommy 17
04-30-2004, 10:12 PM
mine sold for 600$

i think the retail on them is 895$

cals400ex
05-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
mine sold for 600$

i think the retail on them is 895$

is that when they are new?

Tommy 17
05-01-2004, 08:14 AM
600$ they were 1 1/2 years old...

895$ is new!

cals400ex
05-01-2004, 12:43 PM
thanks a lot, you've been a really big help.