PDA

View Full Version : timing chain tensioner

ridesa02400EX
04-28-2004, 09:55 PM
ok i started hearing some really loud tapping comin from the engine so first i adjusted the valves and that didnt fix it so then i took out the timing chain tensioner and the manual says when the shaft is all the way out you shouldnt be able to push it back in with your finger. well i can easily push it back in. so im guessing the sound coming from the engine is the cam chain rattling around in there. the question is should i get a new cam chain after i replace the tensioner? its the stock cam chain and its been in there since 02.

cals400ex
04-28-2004, 11:52 PM
i would probably put the timing chain for added protection. you can get the heavy duty crf 450 timing chain for $35.
the tension isn't cheap. i would probably try and find a friends bike and borrow the tensioner and see if that fixes things before going out and buying a new one.

UglyMotha™
04-29-2004, 05:59 AM
yah your tensioner is shot there's a spring in there that goes, it's actually a common thing i had to replace mine just this past summer and i keep a spare one with me you can get them from service honda for 45 bucks, your timing chain is fine there's no damage that could have happend to it the noise you hear is the chain slider bouncing off the jug not the chain itself i wouldn't fool with changing the chain out with the crf one unless your running a worked motor and aftermarket cam

***edit*** i just seen that you have a 440 kit so if you don't already have an aftermarket chain it would be a wise investment there only 28 bucks from service honda, i'm in the middle of installing one in my bike right not, just a little fyi you have to pull the side case, clutch basket, and cam

04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Get that timin chain fixed!. My dads old xr 200's Tinming chain slip and it ceized his motor:(

cals400ex
04-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
yah your tensioner is shot there's a spring in there that goes, it's actually a common thing i had to replace mine just this past summer and i keep a spare one with me you can get them from service honda for 45 bucks, your timing chain is fine there's no damage that could have happend to it the noise you hear is the chain slider bouncing off the jug not the chain itself i wouldn't fool with changing the chain out with the crf one unless your running a worked motor and aftermarket cam

***edit*** i just seen that you have a 440 kit so if you don't already have an aftermarket chain it would be a wise investment there only 28 bucks from service honda, i'm in the middle of installing one in my bike right not, just a little fyi you have to pull the side case, clutch basket, and cam

yes, i was thinking the same thing with his 440. also, you will need to replace the nut that holds the basket on. it has a punch down locking piece on it that will more than likely bend or break when taking the bolt off. just letting you know ridesa02. the right side gasket will be needed along with new oil.

UglyMotha™
04-29-2004, 12:49 PM
no no no....... that's a nut and yes the service manual does say to grind the dimple out and replace the nut but you can take a center punch and tap the dimple out and the nut will come right off then you put her back on and take your center punch and put a dimple back in it ;)

cals400ex
04-29-2004, 01:10 PM
sorry about that. i will edit that. yes, it is a nut, not a BOLT. my friend did exactly what you are saying ugly. i assume it will be fine but everyone on here said don't do that and just replace it. i will probably do what you did on mine next week when i have mine apart. my friend didn't have a problem with his and i think if you don't crack it, you will be fine. thanks for the correction.