PDA

View Full Version : steps to polishing??

03-17-2002, 05:12 PM
How do you polisg something?? Like aluminem?
Thjanks

03-17-2002, 05:31 PM
first you have to remove any paint or finish on the material. The sand, sand and sand all the way up two 1500 grit or finer. then take some polish like Mothers alum/mag polish and buff the alumium to a nice finish. I have done a few street bikes and it is a lot of work but it looks great. The only thing that would hold me back about doing it on a quad is every time you get the polish job wet you will have to rebuff to bing out the shine again.

03-17-2002, 08:34 PM
I have done a few things on quad, i used a wire wheel from a grinder and get the metal aS shiny as i can then i take steel wool and work it and work it then i buy 99 cent can of clear coat for and spray it over so that i dont have to worry about rebuffing

mopar 400
03-18-2002, 05:52 PM
I have done the motor mounts and afew other small items on my quad. The first thing is to sand all the paint off, then i use a buffer wheel on the dremel. This works pretty good, then go to your local automotive store and buy Mothers, or even better a polish called Flitz, and use it to buff the metal nice and shiny.