PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! chain snapped and is stuck.............

theTman
04-28-2004, 03:39 PM
i was ridin today.. and i hit my jump landed and it all grinded.. i jumped off and looked and the chain is on the sprocket ( the fron ) on the teeth..then at the top it bends bck and starts to go the other way ON TOP of the chain on the teeth.. then goes down and is stuck bewteen the frame and chain... my question is.. should i replace all sprockets and chain? should i go to a 14T sprocket? what about rear??? thanks!!

ill get a pic on a min

theTman
04-28-2004, 03:53 PM
heres 2 pics

how it is stuck

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-cr80-83-bikepics-142149.jpg

where it broke ( sry so blurry)

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-cr80-83-bikepics-142150.jpg

SHANE03EX
04-28-2004, 04:22 PM
I had that happen to me on an lt500 one time. I couldnt even get the chain unstuck until I took the whole sprocket off, but the sprocket was still good. Just replace the chain unless it took some teeth off of the sprocket.

theTman
04-28-2004, 04:27 PM
well i wanna go with a 14T sprockets anyways.. so should i just replace everything?? also do i measue the lenght of the chain to figure out the size of a new one?!?!

theTman
04-28-2004, 04:57 PM
BUMP!!! cmon guys i need help here.. i tried to take the sprocket off but i cant get it off... HELP!!!!!!!!!

wantinga400ex
04-28-2004, 05:07 PM
I would replace the chain, and both sprokets....by doing that, everything will wear about the same time

thumper250x
04-28-2004, 06:52 PM
That happend to my friends 400, he just took a crow bar and about 10 mins and it came unstuck...hope that helps

markeg192
04-28-2004, 06:59 PM
If you start prying on it be careful not to break a case. A small grinder might do the trick.

TheFontMaster
04-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Try cutting it off with some bolt cutters.

shamisc
04-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Luckily you had no case damage. 'Dem damn case saver are worth the money!:D I would alway replace the sprockets and chains at the same time. A new chain won't last long on old worn sprockets.;)

nojoke4stroke
04-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Man this has happened to me twice in the past 2 years or so,mostly due to my negligence,except my chain didnt snap.Actually the last time was about 2 weeks ago and we managed to fix it on the trail with just miscellaneous tools one of the older guys had in his toolbox.First,remove the case saver and all the hardware that keeps the front sprocket on.Next cut the chain guide across the thinnest part (not top or bottom where the chain rides,right where its being pinched by the chain)so you can still use it when this is over,then,pry it out from between your chain and swingarm.Now all you have to do is tap the chain up or down until the middle of a link,outer link,between the pins where it dips in,lines up with the rounded part of the swingarm(hard to explain,hope that makes sense).On second thought it might be better to line it up between links,may give you more freeplay,we didnt do it that way but it might work better.Either way you'll know when you get to the right spot cuz it will move a few millimeters in either direction fairly easy.Now have a buddy pry on the one side with a big screwdriver or other such implement while you come from the other side of the bike with a stick and a hammer.If you have the chain in the right spot on the swingarm and cut the chain guide it should pop right out.This was the only way i could get mine free.Good Luck

04-29-2004, 02:54 PM
First off pray your case isn't broke which I don't think it is with that case saver you have. Your gonna need lots of leverage to brake it loose, good luck.

Also Go ahead and buy a complet chain an sprocket kit..:cool:

Bill Fuller
04-29-2004, 05:17 PM
I agree with Rico.Maybe use a die grinder or a Dremel tool and cut the chain out.Do yourself a favor and buy a new chain and sprockets.Yes them case savers are worth every penny!!!

theTman
04-29-2004, 05:25 PM
yup im brinign it to the sop since i cant get it off whatsoever.... we ordered new chain and sprockets..i think they are regima or sumthing... sposed to be strongest availible

jhr400EX
04-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Just pull the swingarm bolt like halfway out and pull the swingarm back some and it will come right out.

04-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by jhr400EX
Just pull the swingarm bolt like halfway out and pull the swingarm back some and it will come right out.

If he's never pulled it out since it was new I doubt it would come out anyway...:o

Tman I HIGHLY suggest you try pulling the pivot bolt out while you have it at the shop and have the heavy tools including cutting tools handy....:eek2:

promisc
04-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Simply try to remove the front sproket or use a grinder to cut the chain. Be carefull to not buff the case :)