PDA

View Full Version : 416 kit...gotta have a pipe??

03-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Ok,
The other day I asked about a 416 kit and i learned that i can get everyhting I want for $275..well, I think im gona get this stuff. I dont have a pipe thugh and realy dont want one because I dont wanna be too loud. MY question is will this even help w/out an aftermarkey pipe and how much will it help me??
Thanks

PS....where do you get your cylinder bored?

VegasEx'r
03-17-2002, 05:34 PM
I'd say you'd be beter off with a pipe. I know there are quiet aftermarket ones out there, but I am not sure which ones they are. I have a Big Bun race exhaust, and if quiet is what you want, you don't want a Big Gun. One thing you could try is remove the weld slop from the inside of the stock header, then do the "Gabe mod" to your stock silencer. I haven't done these, but it's obvious how they would help. As far as where to bore the cylinder I would ask around at the parts stores or dealerships where you live, they should be able to help. If you are getting the kit from Marcum's, (at $275 it sounds like it) Terry will do it for you for a good price, but the downside is you have to wait to for 7-10 days to get it back (once you factor in shipping time, Terry has a one day turnaround time on that stuff). expect to pay $50-75 eleswhere to get the cylinder bored (and make sure you have the piston for the machine shop to match the bore to).

Tommy 17
03-17-2002, 07:32 PM
i have a stock pipe with my 406 and man its a great power increase... its a way better increase then just puttin on a pipe alone... what u can do is grind out the welds in ur head pipe and knock the spark arrestor outta ur silencer and trust me u will love the power increase u have... u won't regret it...