PDA

View Full Version : anyone running the fcr 40mm??

cals400ex
04-28-2004, 12:34 PM
i have talked to a few people who are getting the fcr 40mm carb. i was just wondering how everyone likes it? also, what intake boots did you have to buy for the carb to fit? any help would be great. cal

woprs50
04-28-2004, 09:07 PM
ok my cable is in my timing key is in also im going to pick them up tomarrow the flywheel puller should be here friday and hopefully my new head studs come tomarrow so maybe it will run this weekend

but i put the carb on the bike the 40mm is 2 inches shorter than the stock carb so i used a 1 1/2 inch long piece of 2 1/4 exhaust pipe and clamped it in the tube going into the air box and a piece of rubber hose to connect the carb to the pipe it turned out really good and i just boiled the boot that goes into the head then the carb slipped right in it so far so good hopefully ill be able to let you know how it runs in a few days :devil:

cals400ex
04-28-2004, 11:56 PM
well crap. i think i rather have an air boot that fits instead of making my own. you don't know of any boot that would be longer than stock so i wouldn't have to rig anything up do you?

yeah, write up a review and let us know how it works out for you.

Quadzilla
04-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Easy fix would be to move your airbox 2" forward and make a little bracket for where it bolts to the frame in the back. 15 min proceedure...

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
Easy fix would be to move your airbox 2" forward and make a little bracket for where it bolts to the frame in the back. 15 min proceedure...

yes, i was thinking about this. i just rather buy something custom rather than me messing around with it. however, i will try this out probably and see how it turns out in a couple weeks. if i don't like it, i can try to find a boot that fits. i know rocky ridge may be able to help me out.

F-16Guy
04-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
yes, i was thinking about this. i just rather buy something custom rather than me messing around with it. however, i will try this out probably and see how it turns out in a couple weeks. if i don't like it, i can try to find a boot that fits. i know rocky ridge may be able to help me out.
This is what you're looking for:
http://www.nossmachine.com/honda_quad_parts.htm :cool:

Quadzilla
04-30-2004, 03:39 PM
I saw this about a month ago and emailed the guy for a price and got no response. Seems to me, making a small bracket for the airbox would prob be less effort (and certainly less$$) than filing off the lip on the carb and epoxing the adaptor on. Just my opinion though....

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 06:06 PM
that is an option. i will see if i can rig something to work properly and if not, i may try it out.

woprs50
04-30-2004, 06:19 PM
just do what i did i worked perfectly its not restrictive it was free it looks fine and it took about 5 minutes :huh

oh i picked up the YFZ cable yesterday it works awesome it couldnt have fit any better

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by woprs50
just do what i did i worked perfectly its not restrictive it was free it looks fine and it took about 5 minutes :huh

oh i picked up the YFZ cable yesterday it works awesome it couldnt have fit any better

that sounds good. i will probably try that cable then too. hey, what is the purpose for the two holes for a cable to go into the carb? i would think the cable would go in the bottom hole in the carb. what is the top one for then?

woprs50
04-30-2004, 06:27 PM
the second hole is for the return cable on the CRF i looked at a YFZ while i was at the yamaha dealer and the cable goes in the bottom hole and the top one was just open

(it might have had some kind of plug or something in it but i didnt look real close i just wanted to know which hole they used on that thing )

Quadzilla
04-30-2004, 06:48 PM
I put a motion pro twist (push pull) on mine. I swtiched over to twist years ago and never looked back! This carb is designed for a push-pull setup (two cabels). Works best that way, but will work with one cable. Too bad nobody makes a push-pull thumb throttle.... If you do go with a twist, I'm told that a stock CRF cables and throttle works like a champ. Service Honda prob has em for cheap.

cals400ex
04-30-2004, 07:24 PM
oh, if i got a twist throttle, i know i would be laying on my back more times than one.

worps, did you get to drive the bike yet?

woprs50
05-01-2004, 01:57 AM
i put the new timing chain in tonight and got the flywheel back on so the bottom end is done im just waiting for my head studs from service honda they were supposed to be here today dammit :mad:

so i guess ill get to ride it monday or whenever my studs get here this thing should be mean :devil:

cals400ex
05-01-2004, 12:42 PM
well let us know how it turns out.