PDA

View Full Version : Air filter question.... all input welcome!

CAMPRO
04-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Okay.... I've got an 01' 400EX. Not much for mods other than a slip on Yosh. Unfortuantly I live at 10,500ft and the bike suffers from power lose. I don't want to do any type of modification to the air box, but rather get rid of the whole thing all together. I've found a bracket that mounts in the same location and hold a K&N filter. However, with the air box completely removed, the filter is now exposed to more elements like dust, water, dirt, and mud. The bracket comes with an outerwear cover for the K&N. My question is this... who's running a set up like this? I'd like details if you could please... like how it holds up to certain conditions, is it durable, will it fall off over bumps... stuff like that. Thanks for all the help guys.

-Drew

Gillbilly
04-28-2004, 12:48 PM
I have the K&N set ulike you desc. I run with the cover off most of the time,I ride alot of sandy roads and trails never had it fall off and most times when I remove outerwear the filter looks clean.I tend to clean the filter every 100miles but depends on conditions.

Gillbilly
04-28-2004, 12:49 PM
By cover I meant airbox lid.

04-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Airbox lid off will help you get more air , just watch out if you ride through mudd

CAMPRO
04-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Iwanna250R
Airbox lid off will help you get more air , just watch out if you ride through mudd

Understandable.... but I'm talking about a mounting braket that replaces the airbox all together. You remove the whole airbox, not just the lid. Anyone using this??

300exOH
04-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't do it for trail riding. If your motor takes even one drink of that mudhole it could be costly. If you ride dunes or on a mx track it would be okay.

blitzkreig05
04-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Maybe you should look into investing in a dynojet kit?, this would make your carb. to the right specifications for 10,500ft optimizing its performance.:)

skidaddyjr
04-30-2004, 08:37 PM
stick your gloved hand in mud then put your ungloved hand in mud!Yeah nasty,think your engine will like that!

Leave the box lose the lid!