PDA

View Full Version : Humane Society warns of cicadas' danger to pets

04-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Read up on this pet owners..:cool:

HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) — This spring's crop of 17-year cicadas will seem like junk food to dogs and cats — and, like junk food, they can make pets sick, the Humane Society of the United States warns.
"Imagine a yard full of chicken nuggets — that's sort of what it's going to be like," Randall Lockwood, a Humane Society vice president and animal behaviorist, said Tuesday.

He said the insects are protein-rich but their exoskeletons are indigestible, so eating too many can cause vomiting or constipation.

Millions of the large, red-eyed insects are expected to emerge from the ground across the eastern United States within days or weeks for a once-every-17-years mating dance. Experts say the nymphs will climb into trees, shed their shells to reveal wings, and then go about their business, including loud buzzing by males to attract mates.

The Washington-based Humane Society advises keeping pets indoors, securing screens and holding tight to dog leashes outdoors.

The 1 1/2-inch-long bugs "combine all the stuff that particularly dogs like to chase," Lockwood said. "They're kind of flying pet toys: they are loud, slow-moving, often low-flying."

For most pets, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience — and almost irresistible, he said.

"They're just so abundant that this is kind of the canine equivalent of a bag of potato chips," he said.

The bugs have a nutty flavor, David George Gordon, author of "The Eat-A-Bug Cookbook," told The Washington Post.

Lockwood said cicadas are meaty, and eating a few won't hurt your pet. But too many can overload an animal's digestive tract with chitin, the hard substance of which insect shells are made. If a pet has more than two vomiting episodes or appears to be in pain, a trip to the veterinarian may needed, he said.

A little cicada chitin may be beneficial, according to the makers of Skin-eze, a product marketed by South Carolina-based AllergicPet.com to relieve skin itching in dogs and cats. The small amount of cicada chitin in Skin-eze "decreases nervous spasms," according to the company's Web site.

2001400ex
04-28-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm gonna be squashing them damn things left and right...:devil:

Jonesy
04-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I'm gonna be squashing them damn things left and right...:devil:

your going to be doing a lot of squashing then!:D

i wish they would get here already so that they can do whatever it is that they do and leave.

Gillbilly
04-28-2004, 12:59 PM
How dare you admit to squishing those helpless bugs.The humane society puts out these warnings so we can avoid confict,lol.Honestly I think we should have races where there is alot of them be kinda like ice racing in the summer.

2001400ex
04-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I was only joking. I would only kill one if it were in my house. They are going to be damn annoying though...

JDiablo
04-28-2004, 03:03 PM
i heard they are suppose to come in the middle of may!! and you know what that is....the rausch creek trip....may 15,16 :eek2:

JDiablo
04-28-2004, 03:04 PM
plus anyway i don't want to get roosted(or roost someone :p ) with a crap load of dead bug shell,and some still fresh ones:eek2:

blackraptor16
04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
well at least my dog won't be eating as much goose poop then, if shes eating cicadas ... try brushing her teeth after that. barf! :eek:

thanks for the info though !!

chucked
04-29-2004, 09:09 AM
When they all start to die they will be ankle deep.

xr50layke
04-29-2004, 10:07 AM
i found 2 like 4-6 years ago on a big tree in the front of my yard, the shell they leave behind is like a full body cast, wings included! LOL

Juggalo
04-29-2004, 11:13 AM
ugh i hate cicadas. they are absolutley disgusting and so annoying its not even funny. they don't get real bad here but they get bad enough were i wanna extinctify (i made that word up i think) all of those *******s!

chucked
04-29-2004, 11:16 AM
They get bad here every year. I know of a way where you can mess with their wings and then they can only fly straight. So you can kind of have a cicada missle.

JDiablo
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by chucked
They get bad here every year. I know of a way where you can mess with their wings and then they can only fly straight. So you can kind of have a cicada missle.

lol....thats funny.....they make that annoying sound too:grr:

xr50layke
04-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by chucked
So you can kind of have a cicada missle.

rotfl

Sportrax10
04-29-2004, 01:29 PM
This is gonna suck... when are they suppose to start showing up?

chucked
04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
beginning of may here.

PHIL_B54
04-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
extinctify

that is a horrible mis-use of your own made-up word.....haha i always forget what thats off of, simpsons i think