PDA

View Full Version : whats a better exhaust?

blasterrider123
04-28-2004, 11:14 AM
hey i was woundering what every one thinks is better for a 400ex exhaust system big gun, sparks x-6, hmf or fmf

EXDUNER127
04-28-2004, 11:58 AM
GO WITH THE BIGGUN OR SPARKS, NO OFFENSE TO HMF...BUT THEY ARE THE LEADERS OF THE PACK...SPARKS IS THE BEST TO ME!

cals400ex
04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
no big gun. the sparks puts out way more horse power than big gun. up top, a stock modded pipe will be as good and maybe even better than the big gun. however, if your not worried about high rpm power, the big gun is nice and torquey. hmf's are really nice and good quality. i would recommend them too.

quadmx7
04-28-2004, 03:10 PM
sparks, i chose sparks over hmf also, and i'll find out next week how much i like it.

hondarider2006
04-28-2004, 03:12 PM
HMF or Sparks;)

sniffthis400
04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
id say sparks or hmf

shamisc
04-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Sparks X-6 is AWESOME!!! I also like my new LTE Duals. :D :cool:

wvspeedfreak
04-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Any of 'em will do a better job than your stock exhaust.Sparks for high rpm power.I have a big gun full system and am quite happy with it.I am not sure what cals400ex means when he says the stock exhaust may flow better.The big gun is straight through like most any race exhaust so I dont see how it would be possible to flow worse???
As far as hmf goes I don't have any first hand experience with them but there are quite a few people on this board using them and they are happy.

wvspeedfreak
04-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Oops,sorry cals400ex,I just reread your post and you said a modded stock muffler.My mistake;)

04-28-2004, 07:56 PM
sparks x6 for sure dude...best of the best

cgarcia
05-13-2004, 12:18 AM
CT exhaust made the mosrt power in the pipe shootout in dirtwheels. I have a CT two stroke pipe on my 89 250r and its awesome. Definitely check them out before you make a final decision. Besides evryone else and there mothers are running the sparks. Be a little diferent and then when you dust em you can point them to the website www.ctracing.com:cool:

cals400ex
05-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Oops,sorry cals400ex,I just reread your post and you said a modded stock muffler.My mistake;)

i don't know if big gun has done some homework on their pipes since the last pipe shoot out, but the complete big gun only produced 0.3 more horsepower than the stock pipe. however, for torque and down low, they are nice. a while back i actually modded my stock pipe and i could actually get a little more flow at high speeds than my friends bike with a slip on silencer. well, it seemed as i would get more flow since i had a bit more up at higher rpms and our bikes had the same setup (tires, gearing, etc), including jetting.

cals400ex
05-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by cgarcia
CT exhaust made the mosrt power in the pipe shootout in dirtwheels. I have a CT two stroke pipe on my 89 250r and its awesome. Definitely check them out before you make a final decision. Besides evryone else and there mothers are running the sparks. Be a little diferent and then when you dust em you can point them to the website www.ctracing.com:cool:

these are great performers, but loud!!

04'400ex'er
05-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by cgarcia

The CT is a great, loud pipe. It did not out power the sparks at the time, though. I think they have a new model out now. The sparks is the best top end performer out that i am aware of. As for bottom, Which the ex has plenty of, I dont know what pipe would be the best. I reccomend the sparks because there is very little, if no loss of bottom end over stock and very big gains on mid and top. It does not come with a spark arrestor or quiet core, though, and it is pretty loud. This is the best dyno shootout i've found: http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=30961

outofsight
05-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Sparks for mid- topend and the bigun for low-mid. The biggun has more horsepower through the rpms up to peak and it adds alot of torque. Your choice

04'400ex'er
05-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by outofsight
Sparks for mid- topend and the bigun for low-mid. The biggun has more horsepower through the rpms up to peak and it adds alot of torque. Your choice

The biggun dosen't make more top-end hp. It makes torque; and noise. The sparks makes more topend HP than pretty much all the other pipes.

outofsight
05-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
The biggun dosen't make more top-end hp. It makes torque; and noise. The sparks makes more topend HP than pretty much all the other pipes.

I didnt say it made more top-end hp. I said it made more till your about to peak power.

Cripple
05-13-2004, 11:35 PM
i think CT is better than the older Sparks pipe but their newer X-6 is the best on the market

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by outofsight
I didnt say it made more top-end hp. I said it made more till your about to peak power.

The sparks has more mid to top HORSEPOWER than the biggun. The biggun might make more torque in the mid but not more HP.

TC426EX
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
NO QUESTION ABOUT IT GO WITH THE SPARKS!!!!!!!! IT IS THE BEST FOR SURE. THE OTHER ONES THAT ARE CLOSE ARE THE TC AND CT (both companies are great even though their names look similar). SPARKS ALL THE WAY MAN!!!

-Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-check it out on douggust.com