PDA

View Full Version : Racing Pipes

300EX-Man
03-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Please help me, i wanna get a better full exhaust. i am gonna use the new pipe to race, so it doesn't matter if it is spark arrested or the noise level. i was wondering about the LRD pipe but in the reviews section one guy said he lost on the bottom end. i don't want that, has anyone esle, experienced a lose in bottom who has the LRD race pipe???

what are some other good pipes, LRD is like $340, and about the same for DMC.

any suggestitions, price is a factor, but not over qualty and performance!!

crouse267
03-17-2002, 04:01 PM
whats wrong with the white bros that u have everyone i have talked to that has one loves it?

300EX-Man
03-17-2002, 04:16 PM
oh yea don't get me wrong the white bro. pro meg is a great pipe, for traill riding. it is the same reason dirt wheels didn't put any race pipes in on there rapter test. it wouldn't be fair to take a non-spark arrested race pipe and put it against spark arrested ones.

i want a full race pipe with half an airbox=most power

crouse267
03-17-2002, 04:22 PM
have u tryed running it without the sparkarestor? if u reomve it you would think that it would flow better wouldent it? plus that way if u wanted to quiet it back down all u would have to do is put it back in.

300EX-Man
03-17-2002, 04:55 PM
yea i have tried taking out the falt disk it sounded and ran like crap, possibly cause i didn't rejet, didn't notice any power either. plus my whi. bro. is old and beat. cause i got it off a friend.

aliright i know i have a good pipe but i want a race pipe any info on any top of the line closed course racing pipes please.

330exracer
03-17-2002, 05:19 PM
get a curtis spark pipe prolly x4, im gettin the x6 soon.

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 07:21 PM
Sparks, TC, Duncan, any of the Engine Builders Pipes.

300EX-Man
03-17-2002, 07:44 PM
The Sparks Pipes what is the difference between the x4 or x6. how much do they run in price. does any one have the website

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 07:46 PM
The X-4 is for Stock Bore Engines and the X-6 for for a Big Bore Engine. Go to www.SparksRacing.com

300EX-Man
03-17-2002, 07:54 PM
i just looked in the links section thanks anyway. would it be a bad idea to get an x6 for a stock bore. i was wonderin cause, what if i decide to put a 330 in it, i will have to get the better pipe. why not get the better one in the beginning?????

or is there a reason not to run the x-6 without a bore????

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 07:57 PM
I`m not really sure on that. Email or Call Sparks and tell them some day you would like a 330 and ask what Pipe you should get now for a Stock Motor.

300EX-Man
03-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Warriorman how do u like your TC racing pipe. how much did it cost and does it look anything like CT's pipe. and does anyone have any info on CT's pipe, i checked out their "high-out put race pipe" on their website it looks sweet.

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 04:07 PM
I like my TC Pipe a lot. It added Good Bottom End. The TC Pipe is a Modified SuperTrapp Pipe. It`s really short. Doug Gust runs a TC Pipe. My TC Pipe was $319. Yours might be more if it`s a Full Pipe. A Kid at my school just got a CT Slip-On put on his 400ex. I`ll let you know how he likes it if you want to know.

mopar 400
03-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Check out the new duncan Racing pipe, It is supposed to kick some real A##. I have their old double barrel, and it rocks, I will put it up against any pipe out there. Just my .02.:D

300EX-Man
03-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have the Duncan Racing website. it is not in the links section???

so far i like CT's pipe the best, but i haven't seen a Duncan or know the price

thanks for any info

ChadEXer
03-18-2002, 06:49 PM
The CT and TC pipes are almost the same. 300EX-Man, Dirt wheels did put a race pipe in there Raptor test. im pretty sure there was a Trinity pipe in there and another one too I cant remember. At least Im pretty sure there was!!

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 07:24 PM
I really Like the Duncan Racing Pipe. If I didn`t have a TC it would be a Sparks or Duncan on My 400EX. Go to WWW.DuncanRacing.com You will Like Duncan`s Pipe.

ChadEXer
03-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey Warriorman. Did you have to cut some of your headpipe to make the TC pipe fit???? Thats what somebody told me!!

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Yes you have to Cut your Stock Headpipe. I think it`s 5-1/2 Inches. Let me Look. Yeah it`s 5-1/2 Inches.

300EX-Man
03-18-2002, 08:29 PM
Yea the Duncan Racing exhaust is sweet i am gonna buy that or the Ct pipe don't know which one yet, between the two, i think the deciding factor will be price. considering they are both excellent pipes and are both from highly respected builders.

thanxs

300EX-Man
03-18-2002, 08:35 PM
Yea the Duncan Racing exhaust is sweet i am gonna buy that or the Ct pipe don't know which one yet, between the two, i think the deciding factor will be price. considering they are both excellent pipes and are both from highly respected builders.

thanxs

ChadEXer
03-19-2002, 07:59 AM
Man Im glad I still have my stock headers. I bought my 400 used and it had a Big Gun pipe on it when I bought it, but the dealer gave me the stock pipe too.
Warriorman, did you gring the welds out of the inside of your stockers?? I wonder if the TC pipe will fit with aftermarket headers. Did Tom say the stockers are the best??

Dave400ex
03-19-2002, 04:50 PM
I didn`t Grind Mine. I didn`t know about the Grinding the Header until a Couple Months ago. If I would have known about it I would of done it though. I don`t know on the Aftermarket Headers. TC told me the Stock Headers add the Best Torque. Tom likes Torque.

ChadEXer
03-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Im going to run my header up to my buddy at the machine shop today and have him do a little grinding on it.. Then I will have it Jet-Hot coated or something like that!! I wish I could powdercoat it but that wont work. Oh well,,,it will prolly look better shiny anyways

Dave400ex
03-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Grinding it will Help. I wouldn`t mind Sending my Header and TC Pipe to Jet-Hot. That would look Sweet.

ChadEXer
03-20-2002, 05:12 PM
Just got back from the machine shop. He grinded the welds for me. I also had him take the battery and tool box mounts off the subframe and smooth them out. The battery will be in the alum box he made me. The alum box he made me looks awesome. He said he will prolly only charge me like $60 for it. Hes wanting to trade my stock carb even for all the work hes done for me. I will prolly do it. Hes done over $150 worth of stuff for me!!
FST Oil Cooler was $117 in my door!!

Dave400ex
03-20-2002, 05:26 PM
Sounds Good. Your 505EX is going to be Fast, and Look Sweet. I can`t Wait to see the Final Product.

ChadEXer
03-20-2002, 05:40 PM
I just got off the phone with Fullbore and they are considering sponsoring me. He is going to call me back in 30 minutes. I will let you know. that would be awesome. He said if I wanted him to he could even make me a set of that clear plastic that the LRD bike had on it at the show. He said he might even be able to do a see thru color for me. I cant wait till he calls me back so we can finish talking!!!

RoostinOna400ex
03-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Chad you got any pics of that aluminum air box?? You think you could hook me up with one for $60 too??:D

Dave400ex
03-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Fullbore would be a Good Sponsor to have. That is Cool they could make you all that Stuff. Which Plastic would you choose to?

I would also like to see the AirBox. If I could get a Lid Built I would think about Buying One.

300EX-Man
03-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Hey Chadexer that is one hot bike. how much power do u think u will get out of it.

that is cool that u can get all that stuff, but i don't know about the clear plastic, all those visable wires wouldn't look to pretty, but that is just my opinion

ChadEXer
03-21-2002, 08:14 AM
All the visible wires will be wrapped in red electrical tape and put in red wire loom:D I still havent decided on red or white Fullbore. I dont care for the clear. I dont know how much power it will have but it better have enough to slay every craptor in site:D TC said the only bike that will even get close to beating it is another one that he has done!! He said he has ran one of his 490's against the sparks 465 and beat it by 5 quad lengths. That is bad arse:p I will ask my friend at the machine shop about making some more boxes for you guys but he may not because thats probably pretty close to what its costing him in materials. He is putting a hole with a grommet for the wires to go through, making a place to mount the voltage regulator in the box, making a little braket to hold up the K&N to keep it from bouncing around in the box, and making another braket to hold that little cylinder looking thing that mounts beside the battery(not sure what its called) Its gonna be SWEET!!! Its just as nice as those pingrys but for 1/3 of the price. Plus Im going to have it powdercoated red!!! I need to get me a digital camera real soon so I can get some pics of this stuff. I keep telling my wife to get one when she goes to WalMart but she still hasnt. I might have to beat her:D Warriorman, have you considered getting an aluminum box and just putting an outerwears cover over it. Or do you get in the real sloppy stuff?? My bike will never see mud again:D

jcv400ex
03-21-2002, 10:44 AM
Guys,

THere's going to be a full out pipe war coming up with all the aftermarket racing pipes. THey're going to put them on 416's, 425's 440's, everything. With different cam setups, different head porting and carbs. From runs on the dyno, timed drags, and laps on the track. Of course, a test of this caliper is going to take some time.

It's gonna be sweet! I hope they go public with it.

That is all I know, nothing else. And it came from an engine builder. If I find out the results, I'll let everyone know.

Dave400ex
03-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Those Wires are going to Look Sweet. Go with the Red Plastic. White is hard to keep Clean. That thing better have all the Power you will ever want. He has a 490 Kit too? Sparks had a 505, but he`s not selling the Kit anymore. Sparks 465 is Fast. I can`t even imagine a TC 505. That AirBox is going to be Sweet. It sounds really nice. I want to see a Picture. If he would make me one I might have to Buy it. I don`t know, I`m saving for Shocks right now. I heard those Outerwear Covers are Horrible. I want a Lid. I Ride where ever. Mud won`t Stop Me. I wouldn`t want to Ride your Quad in the Mud either. It`s going to be to Nice.

JCV400EX, I can`t Wait to see the Results. Is it Hetrick`s doing the Shootout?

jcv400ex
03-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Yeah, TC, Curtis, LRD, Sparks, etc. All the big guys! I'm sure it's gonna be released. But if not, I'll keep everyone posted.

Dave400ex
03-21-2002, 05:51 PM
I want to Know how the TC, Sparks, and Hetricks Pipes do.

Chef
03-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Hey chad, I've been thinkin. I think your gonna be gettin 70+ horse out of that thing! I think I'm getting around 60-62 with mine on alky, so you should be getting even more!!!!!!

Dave400ex
03-21-2002, 07:30 PM
70+ Horse? Holy Crap. That is a lot of Power.

Chad, Are you going to Run Alky?

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 07:55 AM
I probably wont run alky. I asked Tom about it and he said he will set it up that way if I want but he doesnt really reccomend. He said alky is more high maintenance and has an acidic feature and after a while can even begin to rust your throttle and stuff. He said alky used to be a big boost over gas but with the high tech race fuel we have today it only makes about a 10% or less boost. I will run C14 in mine probably. I hope it pushes 70 ponies. That would be great:D
I got my Sidewinder chain and sprockets late yesterday.. Very nice stuff. The rear aircraft billet sprocket is so light you cant even tell its in your hand!! The front sprocket is quite a bit lighter than stock to. Very high quality stuff!! Also a while back I had a guy wreck into me and bend my AC pegs and my subframe. I called AC and told them what happened and how I was building my bike and he said if I will run his stickers he will send my the left side(side that was bent) out to me free. Well he did and I told him my bike would be black and red and he sent me some black\red nets. He sewed the black and red together. Looks really trick!! One thing though is the one he sent me is the polished and looks just like chrome and the one I have I think is burnished and its not near as shiny. Im gonna call him today and see if I cant talk the right side out of him too:D I called Tom and im going to send him my FST oil cooler because you have to tap into the motor somewhere and I dont want to do that. Ill let him do it. I got my Pingry's ordered also so i am just about done other than plastic and a few other dress up items and whatever else I can think of!!

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 06:06 PM
I don`t think I would Run Alky. Race Gas is Good enough. The Alky sounds like a Pain. You will have to Dyno the 505 some how. 70+ Horse. I would like to Ride that.

That Sidewinder Stuff sounds really Nice. How much was all the Stuff? Man I can`t believe AC Sent you a Nerf Bar. I have AC Stickers on my 400EX, but I haven`t gotten any Free Nerf Bars. The Nerfs would look weird if they didn`t match. You could have them Chromed. What did Tom say when you said I have a FST Oil Cooler? I would let him install it too. I have heard about it, it sounds like a Pain to install. You should keep a List of everything you Buy and what it all Costs. The Total would be Scary.

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Well I called AC today and they said I need to just polish the other one:( I put some elbow grease in it for about 3 hours today and it looks almost just like the new one now. They look good!! Those black\red nets are really cool. Mike,the owner of AC, said the only other person he made nets like that for is Dana Creech. Thats cool!! The sidewinder chain and sprocket set cost me $220.95 in my door. I think there definatley worth it!!
I do have a list of everything Ive bought and everything I am going to buy and it has already topped $6000:( That hurts. My wifes not so happy about it but she is getting over it:D

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Well that`s Cool. AC is really good to you. At least they look the Same Now. I want to see a Picture of the Nets. Man, only Dana Creech? You are getting up there. $221? Geez. That is a lot of Money.

$6000? Just in Parts? I wish I had that Kind of Money.

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 08:26 AM
Im going to try to go today and get me a digital camera. I would like to take pics as im putting it back together. Too bad I didnt get a before pic:( I have been polishing on my stuff almost all night. Did some more on the nerfs, Renthals, spindals, and wheels!! My hands hurt:( I hope I will get my swingarm back this week so I can put it back together. Then I will just be waiting on my motor! I still havent got my a-arms and shocks yet but those should be in early this week. i will prolly get to put it back together this weekend. if not it will be next weekend for sure. Well im gonna go get me a camera so i can post some pics when I put it back together!

Dave400ex
03-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Well you didn`t have to get a Camera today, but that`s Cool. I want to see Pictures of it. Don`t you have to have everything PowderCoated before you put it Back together? I can`t Wait to see some Pictures.

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 05:19 PM
I am guessing it will be not this weekend but next and i should have it ready to put back together. Hopefully the powdercoating wont take long! Hopefully i will get my swingarm later in this coming week or the beginning of the next. they got it Fri and said they will probably need 1 week. i didnt get to get a camera today:( I forgot I had to go to a wedding on my wifes side of the family. it really sucked because I didnt know anyone.

Dave400ex
03-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Well I can`t Wait to see the Final Product. It`s going to be Sweet. I always hate Weddings too.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Yeah I really hate them,,especially when you dont even know the people!! i got my swingarm extended at Mac Racing. They just called me and they are sending it back. he got it on Fri and was done on Mon. Thats great. he charged me $130 to do it. maybe I can get my a-arms and shocks before the end of the week and have enough time to get it powdercoated and put back together this weekend!!!

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 09:27 AM
You will be already to go. You will just be Waiting on that Huge Motor. You will have to take some Pictures of it without the Motor in the Frame.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 02:56 PM
My wife told me to just take pics with a regular camera and use the scanner. i just found out I have access to a scanner. i also just got a package in the mail from the CEO of my company,,,when he was down here he took a pics of my 400. Now I do have a before pic. i just wish i had the first before pic,,,when I first got it. The pic I got is with the new plastic,pipe and stuff. It will still look totally dofferent though. i will post before and after pics. i just hope this scanner will be quality!!

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 05:08 PM
That`s Cool. I`ll be Waiting for those Pictures. The Before and After will be Crazy I`m sure. If you figure out how that Scanner works maybe you can help me out.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Its my nephews scanner and his mom kicked him out of the house and made him move back to his dads. He used to work it for me. I will try to figure it out this afternoon and see If I can go ahead and show you the before pic

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 08:57 AM
I`m in no Hurry. I am trying to Figure out how to get our Scanner to Work. Everything just has to be so Hard.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 10:37 AM
I havent even had a chance to bring my nepwhews over here and try yet. I have been very busy at work today. my friend at the machine shop just called and wants me to come up there and bring him something to my battery so he can mount it in the box. i might not even get a chance!!!!

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Whenever you get a Chance.

RoostinOna400ex
03-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Chad what do you have problems with on the scanner?? I might be able to help you because im a small computer wize:D

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Roostin, Could you help me?

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 07:53 AM
I cant find whick one of my computer the damned software is on. my nephew used my main computer in my office the first time he done it but I cant find the software on it. he also has a digital camera but the software keeps giving us error messages when we try to transfer the pics to the puter. i am going to try to reinstall the software today and see if it will work then!!

zuLi0
03-27-2002, 11:41 AM
cant wait to see the bike, the bike is gonna be way nice if its anything like i think its gonna be. did you go with an oil cooler or a bigger oil tank to add another quart of oil. i heard if you run the combo. of the bigger tank and the cooler its the best way to go at it. the only bad thing about it is i think the tank was a hundred and the cooler was around a hundred? not sure about the cooler but the bigger tank alone is sposed to drop it roughly like 12 degrees. what pipe did you say you had on it. im looking at the ct racing pipe(unfinished finish) any comments on this pipe? :huh

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 11:45 AM
I have the Pingrys oil tank and FST oil cooler. The cooler was $117 in my door and the tank was,,,Over $200. Cant say how much cause Terry hooked me up for buying so much at once from him. i will also run a colder plug in it. This should keep it running cool:D

zuLi0
03-27-2002, 11:49 AM
will the colder plug perform as well as like the stock plug or a 1 step hotter stock plug. besides the fact of it running cooler are there any other benefits or reasons to run a cooler plug?

Dave400ex
03-27-2002, 04:49 PM
I would also like to know about that Plug Thing.

Chad, If you ever Figure the Scanner out, maybe you could Help me Figure mine out.

Chad and I have the TC Pipe. Chad doesn`t have his Yet, but will get it with his Motor. I really like my Pipe. A Kid at my School got a CT Slip-On. He is Happy with it. I would go with a Full CT though.

RoostinOna400ex
03-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Warrior man what is your problem?? Chad you might want to do taht first!!

RedRider300
03-27-2002, 09:55 PM
I always thought the hotter the plug the better off you were, but for cooling issues i can understand where that might be a little better but what about the performance?

zuLi0
03-27-2002, 11:13 PM
yea same here, what are the benefits. :huh

ChadEXer
03-28-2002, 08:24 AM
The plug on a 400 is very close to where the valves seat. Running a colder plug will help the motor last longer and keep the valves from warping as easy. Run a DP9EA instead of a DP8EA. A 9 is colder than a 8. I definately reccomend it! Especially if you have motor work done!

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Roostin, I know how to get the Picture to the Scanner Program, but after that I have no idea what to do. I need to figure out how to Email it so somebody can Post it on here or I need to figure out how to Post a Picture.

Chad, Will this Change performance any on a Stock Motor? I might have to get a Colder Plug.

Chef
03-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Isn't the stock plug a DPR8Z? Thats what mine was, I run a DPR9Z now anyways..

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 05:17 PM
Yeah Stock is DPR8Z. I think I will try a DPR9Z though.

ChadEXer
03-28-2002, 06:07 PM
The 9 is colder than the 8. I had to double check but its true. Warriorman, Tom said he will put a 38mm Lectron on it. he said the 38mm Lectron will outperform the 41mm FCR!!!! Thats is true to. i remeber reading that somewhere else too!!!

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 06:37 PM
I am going to try the 9 then. Anything to make the 400EX run cooler is Good. I saw that Carb Shootout too. I would still rather have a 41mm FCR for the Easier Running and Stuff. The Lectron should be Ok once you get it Dialed in.

zuLi0
03-28-2002, 09:00 PM
im gonna haveta try that colder plug thing, why not all it costs is $2 bucks and maybe save some wear and tear thanks!

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 09:02 PM
Zulio, Let me know how it Works for You.

ChadEXer
03-29-2002, 07:24 AM
Tom said the Lectron will be dialed in when i get it! i hope so. if not my mechanic has experience with them. He said they are kind of hard to dial in but once you get it there is no better carb than the Lectron!! he is working an a Bashee with Lectrons on it and that sucka flies!!

Dave400ex
03-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Well I think TC wll have it Running Good. If your Mechanic knows how to Jet the Carb you will be Ok. I think the Lectron is a Good Carb once it is Dialed In, but it is a lot of Work.

RoostinOna400ex
03-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Where was there a carb shootout??

ChadEXer
03-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Somebody told me about the carb shootout but i dont know who did it!

Dave400ex
03-29-2002, 07:58 PM
It was in a ATV Action Issue.

RoostinOna400ex
03-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Which issue??

Dave400ex
03-29-2002, 08:30 PM
January 2002.

RoostinOna400ex
03-29-2002, 08:39 PM
what is the cover to that one ??

Dave400ex
03-29-2002, 08:44 PM
There is a New 2002 Raptor on the Cover.

zuLi0
03-29-2002, 09:02 PM
warriorman i will let you know how it works out. i would like to try it this week-weekend. i gotta find the right size allen wrench to take off my front fenders :\ i gotta go buy a set of metrics. bah:macho

Dave400ex
03-29-2002, 09:06 PM
What are you Taking the Front Fender off for?

zuLi0
04-02-2002, 12:00 PM
i want to clean the quad real good and i like to take the front fenders off to change spark plug so i can blow it out with air real good so that i dont get any dirt into the cylinder. the spark plug design is assinine and could be a very easy way to blow up the bike. :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Yeah the Sparks Plug is Nuts. Honda should have put it some where Else.

zuLi0
04-02-2002, 01:58 PM
im sure there was a reason for the spark plug to be so far down in, but if it was just a little more accessible or where your able to see if any dirt or anything was gonna get into the cylinder it would be alot better.

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Anything would be better then How it is Now. That is Crazy.

04-02-2002, 07:41 PM
I got a 400ex and have the CT pipe for it and its AWESOME, gave a noticable increase in power with new airfilter and jetting and the sound is unbeleivable!!! I didnt like their customer service tho they sent me a jet kit without any directions on what jet and needle setting to use, but if your racing the CT pipe is a good pipe to go with.:devil :devil

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 08:30 PM
My Friend has a CT. He is Happy with it. It took him a Month to get it though.

zuLi0
04-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Did you go with the mid-range pipe? From what I gathered on there site and from other people CT makes a low-mid-high range pipe. there site doesent say much. But i have heard that CT makes a few pipes. Do you have any other motor work, P&P or BB?

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 09:20 AM
I would Call CT and see what they Say. Ask them what Pipe you should get.

04-03-2002, 07:03 PM
no motor work........yet, but its just i bought the ct slip on and jet kit only, and about takin a month it only took me 4 days and i live in ohio and its sent from california. the pipe roars

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 07:27 PM
I couldn`t Believe it took a Month for his Pipe. He was going to get a TC but he didn`t want to be the same as Me. I think the CT is a very Good Pipe.

04-03-2002, 07:43 PM
get the tc. great scliencer youll love it.

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 08:07 PM
HondaQuadMan, Did you Grind in your Header?