PDA

View Full Version : trx-450 loses again

southbeach14
04-27-2004, 07:30 PM
did anyone see the shoot out in the new dirt wheels mag? they had the yfz-450 vs. trx-450 and both were built up the same. the yfz won. and the yfz only had a slip-on and the honda had a full exhaust.

meangreen400ex
04-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Who Cares there both sweet quads

southbeach14
04-27-2004, 07:51 PM
yes, but the yfz is sweeter

Shawn H
04-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I disagree I like my 450r better even no it maybe a little slower,and besides I know how to ride.Its mostly rider Ya know

jmoney45
04-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by southbeach14
yes, but the yfz is sweeter

Have you ridden both? I have and can say they are nearly identical in power and once you adjust the shocks on the honda nearly identical in handling. Go back to bluetraxx...

southbeach14
04-27-2004, 08:25 PM
i have ridden both and i like the yfz the best, thats just what i think, i also don't like bluetraxx

skidaddyjr
04-27-2004, 08:30 PM
TRX's rule! 400ex's are way behind the perfomance of about all, but they are still racing them why, because 400's are RED!I've beat a (stock yamaha YZF450),banshee,about 9 KFX's,and 2 V-forces in the woods on a bone stock 400ex with tires and front bumper on it!YZF's might be faster but the turtle passed the rabbit when the rabbit's nards got hung on a rock,You know what I mean !

2qk4u
04-27-2004, 09:22 PM
skidaddyjr, so you didnt race a yfz450, that explains it all. let us know when you do and let us know the outcome

skidaddyjr
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
2qk4u did you not see the first bike I mentioned outrunning in the woods.That YZF450r YAMAHAMMER was stock.Those bikes do run about better than anythingelse!I have run three of them two had sparks exhaust with my 250R, but the facts are A 250R WILL STILL BEAT A YZF450R YAMAHAMMER!I DO BELIEVE YAMAHA HAS COME OUT WITH BETTER DESIGN BUT YOU HAVE TO FACE IT ,ITS A YAMAHAMMER!

Not trying to make yzf owner mad ,but all this hype about these new machines is killing us old school now 2stroke fans,Now R's next is Banshees yes its comin to make no mistake.

hondakiller
04-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Its called Evolution.

I have ridden both and own a YFZ. Both are very nice quads and in the hands of a skilled rider able to beat out the other. But Yamaha has come to the plate with a better quad this time. Handling, power, all around performance. Its all there. I'm not taking anything away from the 450R, but the YFZ is just a little better all around.

jmoney45
04-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by hondakiller
Its called Evolution.

I have ridden both and own a YFZ. Both are very nice quads and in the hands of a skilled rider able to beat out the other. But Yamaha has come to the plate with a better quad this time. Handling, power, all around performance. Its all there. I'm not taking anything away from the 450R, but the YFZ is just a little better all around.

You are correct in that each can beat the other in the hands of a skilled rider. They are both worlds ahead of what we had a couple years ago and I am thankful for that. I'm very happy with my trx and sounds like you're happy with the yfz. I know my friends who have yfz's are happy and they are awesome machines.

Jonas
04-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Can you guys just stop arguing and go over to YFZ central and help these guys figure out the problems they are having with their quads.

spincr4hire
04-28-2004, 10:12 AM
nice R, jmoney..:cool:

PEPwalshZ440
04-28-2004, 01:54 PM
umm you suck i'll whoop u on the track with my 450r so shut it

ex kid
04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
that clown makes me laugh.

southbeach14
04-28-2004, 02:09 PM
did anyone see the shoot out in the new dirt wheels mag? they had the yfz-450 vs. trx-450 and both were built up the same. the yfz won. and the yfz only had a slip-on and the honda had a full exhaust.

i thought i would repost this so people know what we are supposed to be talking about, people seem to go off in all directions on this website, so did one even read the new dirt wheels??????

ex kid
04-28-2004, 02:15 PM
yea i read it,but what the hell are you trying to say? its dirtwheels dude. who are they, the authority on quads? i don't think so

southbeach14
04-28-2004, 02:20 PM
and you are? pretty easy to act tough on the computer, :devil:

04-28-2004, 02:22 PM
dirtwheels is very biased towards yamaha as they have more ads...i rode a yfz & thought it was awesome..havent ridden a 450r yet but im getting one anyway b/c I bleed red

Woody_YFZ
04-28-2004, 11:20 PM
I hate getting involved in these, but to answer your question, yes, I read the article. I own both quads and wish I could build them both up like they have. I agree with them all the way. They didn't say the Honda was a bad machine, the Yami was just a little better for MX. I ride my YFZ on MX tracks almost exclusively now because I think it handles better than my Honda.

Scottie Mac
04-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
dirtwheels is very biased towards yamaha as they have more ads...i rode a yfz & thought it was awesome..havent ridden a 450r yet but im getting one anyway b/c I bleed red

Jumbo,

I don't mean to bust on you, but, that is about the most ignorant thing I have ever read. You rode the YFZ and it was awesome, you haven't ridden a TRX, but you are going to get one because you bleed red?????

Here is a suggestion, ride the TRX first. Even though you are a Honda guy, you may very well not like the way the Honda rides, turns, comes on, etc.

I would ride a Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, Polaris or Yamaha whoever makes the best quad to suit my needs. Brand loyalty/biased makes no sence to me. When Honda starts paying me to ride Honda, then I will be brand loyal.

Scott

southbeach14
04-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Jumbo,

I don't mean to bust on you, but, that is about the most ignorant thing I have ever read. You rode the YFZ and it was awesome, you haven't ridden a TRX, but you are going to get one because you bleed red?????

Here is a suggestion, ride the TRX first. Even though you are a Honda guy, you may very well not like the way the Honda rides, turns, comes on, etc.

I would ride a Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, Polaris or Yamaha whoever makes the best quad to suit my needs. Brand loyalty/biased makes no sence to me. When Honda starts paying me to ride Honda, then I will be brand loyal.

Scott

scott has got a point, don't buy something just for the name, ride it first, do you but your cars that way???

jmoney45
04-29-2004, 11:02 AM
I definitely agree. Ride both first if you can before you buy. I did and felt I could literally have flipped a coin and been happy either way.

jmoney45
04-29-2004, 11:03 AM
and southbeach14, what are you still doing here? i thought i told you to go to bluetraxx...:D

southbeach14
04-29-2004, 11:07 AM
i don't like bluetraxx, if ex riders didn't want people to talk about the yfz-450 they would not have giving us a spot on this website, don't get me wrong, i like hondas thay make some of the best products in the world, i just like the yfz-450 over the 450r. i do give honda the fact that the 250r is the best quad ever made. if honda came out with a new version i would be the first in line to buy one.

jmoney45
04-29-2004, 02:06 PM
i don't like bluetraxx, if ex riders didn't want people to talk about the yfz-450 they would not have giving us a spot on this website, don't get me wrong, i like hondas thay make some of the best products in the world, i just like the yfz-450 over the 450r. i do give honda the fact that the 250r is the best quad ever made. if honda came out with a new version i would be the first in line to buy one.

I was just bustin on ya. Most of us here are open minded to all types of quads.

Syrus
04-29-2004, 02:42 PM
i thought i would repost this so people know what we are supposed to be talking about, people seem to go off in all directions on this website, so did one even read the new dirt wheels??????

Well smart guy, making a thread with the title "trx-450 loses again" and u wonder why people go off in directions on this website, ofcourse us loyal Honda buyers are going to talk **** back... think before you act :)

cletusEX
04-29-2004, 02:52 PM
I definitely wouldn't go by what some magazine said. Especially Dirtwheels, didn't they have the raptor winning a bunch of shootouts. You talk to people that have yfz's and they love them, you talk to people who have 450r's and they love them. It's all just preference.

Scottie Mac
04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
I definitely wouldn't go by what some magazine said. Especially Dirtwheels, didn't they have the raptor winning a bunch of shootouts. You talk to people that have yfz's and they love them, you talk to people who have 450r's and they love them. It's all just preference.

Well said CletusEX.

Scott

Blizzard24
04-29-2004, 07:54 PM
When I went to the dealer I jumped on both. Being on the shorter side, I chose the YFZ, the Honda fealt a little tall for me. Either quad would be a great choice. As for the 250R being the best quad ever... that all changed last June, these two new quads are the next generation of legendary quads.

southbeach14
04-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Well smart guy, making a thread with the title "trx-450 loses again" and u wonder why people go off in directions on this website, ofcourse us loyal Honda buyers are going to talk **** back... think before you act :)

i did that to get a reaction from people, i know people will defend their brands to their death, nascar is big where i live and i know some die hard ford guys that would not drive a new chevy even if it was given to them for free,

Scottie Mac
04-29-2004, 08:10 PM
nascar is big where i live and i know some die hard ford guys that would not drive a new chevy even if it was given to them for free,

LOL, I had to chuckle when I read this. Thankfully, I don't think we are THAT BAD here.......................yet. But some guys would at least consider it.

Scott

Out_Sider
04-30-2004, 07:27 PM
idc what i ride, or anything. as long as i like it, thats all that matters to me, i could care less what anybody says (dirtwheels, exrider members, anyone really) If i want it, i'll get it. That's just my attitude toward these kind of topics.

YFZ420
05-01-2004, 09:08 AM
THE YAMAHA AD IN ALL THE MAGAZINES SAYS IT BEST
FOUR SHOOTOUTS AND FOUR SHUTOUTS

Blown 331
05-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Jumbo,

Scott

I agree with Jumbo. I bought a new 400EX in April 2003. Yeah I could have gotten a Z/KFX or the YFZ might have even been out. I didn't even hear about the 450R at that time but I bought the Honda over the Z/KFX because it was Honda.

tkwarrior
05-01-2004, 01:14 PM
i do give honda the fact that the 250r is the best quad ever made. if honda came out with a new version i would be the first in line to buy one.

You do understand a stock 250R is crap when you put it against a stock YFZ/450R. ** Notice there isn't a question mark at the end because it's a rhetorical question ** :rolleyes:

Maybe for the mid 80's the 250R was the best thing made but still that's a long stretch. I've ridden the Tecate 4 & LT250R and don't agree with the 250R being the best.

southbeach14
05-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by tkwarrior
You do understand a stock 250R is crap when you put it against a stock YFZ/450R. ** Notice there isn't a question mark at the end because it's a rhetorical question ** :rolleyes:

Maybe for the mid 80's the 250R was the best thing made but still that's a long stretch. I've ridden the Tecate 4 & LT250R and don't agree with the 250R being the best.

yes you are right stock, but the aftermarket can really make it come alive, i would take a build up 250r to a trx 450r anyday

Ryanyfz450
05-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Well I own a YFZ and a 450R and STOCK the YFZ handles better in the woods and the 450R has a longer first gear and is really light in the front end which is great for doin wheelie's when i have drag raced them these two bikes are really close! I run the YFZ and my Girlfriends brother will run the 450R and we run side by side till were wide open in 5th! the the 450R has a lil more top end but the YFZ isnt completely broke in yet. but they are so close that I cant say one is faster than the other. I have not raced either of them yet but I can't wait to race them cause there both awesome bikes! I will most likely race the 450R on the ice and the YFZ in TT style events :D but that's just my opinion and im no Pro. I just ride for fun.

tkwarrior
05-01-2004, 08:47 PM
yes you are right stock, but the aftermarket can really make it come alive, i would take a build up 250r to a trx 450r anyday

Lets play fill in the blank. The 250 has had ____ years of aftermarket research. The 450 has had ____ months of research.

:cool:

SuzukiRacr07
05-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Ryanyfz450
Well I own a YFZ and a 450R and STOCK the YFZ handles better in the woods and the 450R has a longer first gear and is really light in the front end which is great for doin wheelie's I have not raced either of them yet but I can't wait to race them cause there both awesome bikes! I will most likely race the 450R on the ice and the YFZ in TT style events :D but that's just my opinion and im no Pro. I just ride for fun. i dnt race ice or TT but i would probably do the same..... the long gears will be good for Ice Racing because the RPMs do not drop a ton, and the YFZ handles better and has more power therefore being better for TT.... im right w/ u!

Scottie Mac
05-02-2004, 07:06 PM

BUT, seeing that the sport is going to production rules, I would take a production ready YFZ or TRX over a production 250r (stock frame)

If we are talking aftermarket framed quads, I would take a CRF or YZ450 over a 250R. Apples to apples now!

Scott

jb500ex
05-02-2004, 08:31 PM
i agree scottie mac, all these people that keep saying their R's are so much better then the new 4 strokes have 12,000 to $15,000 into them and nothing on their bike is stock. when i got my 400ex in 99 my friend had a mint stock 250r and it wasn't any faster or better then a 400ex and we know how much better the yfz and 450r's are then an ex

BigThumper33
05-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Both are so close what does it even matter? There is always going to be someone down the rode faster than you and will pass you on either a yfz or trx... :blah:

If anyone wants to buy me either, I'd be happy to be that faster guy and pass you!! :devil:

xr50layke
05-03-2004, 11:53 AM
it all comes down to whose got more balls to keep on the gas in the turns and such :o

Goat397
05-05-2004, 07:27 PM
ya you guys are funny, the yzf has more hp (which means absolutly nothing) but the trx has more torque which is everything , in a year when your yamahdogs have had thousands put into them because everythings cracked out and broken on them just like everyother yamahdog you guys will be kickin yourselves in the ***** for buyin one of them blue things,

ive experienced with yamahas and i dont think this one will be any different

also for peopel talking sh1t aout the 250r, back when that machine came out it was $3000 . you add $4000 to an R and that yfz will be cryin

of coarse anyone with the yamaha is gunna say its better because why talk bad about yourself, same thing with the honda guys, dont worry about what the mags are saying try them out for yourself

southbeach14
05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
[also for peopel talking sh1t aout the 250r, back when that machine came out it was $3000 . you add $4000 to an R and that yfz will be cryin

amen brother

Scottie Mac
05-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Goat397
ya you guys are funny, the yzf has more hp (which means absolutly nothing) but the trx has more torque which is everything , in a year when your yamahdogs have had thousands put into them because everythings cracked out and broken on them just like everyother yamahdog you guys will be kickin yourselves in the ***** for buyin one of them blue things,

ive experienced with yamahas and i dont think this one will be any different

also for peopel talking sh1t aout the 250r, back when that machine came out it was $3000 . you add $4000 to an R and that yfz will be cryin

of coarse anyone with the yamaha is gunna say its better because why talk bad about yourself, same thing with the honda guys, dont worry about what the mags are saying try them out for yourself

Jeez, where do I start? HP means nothing, huh? Torque means everything? AHhhhh, no. It is the balance between the two that matters. If hp meant nothing, then you wouldn't constantly see YFZs pulling holeshot after holeshot on the tour, at regional races, etc. Once past the first turn, it is all rider, but you need a good motor to pull the "shot"

Both motors are fine motors, the article clearly says this. It just says the Yamaha handles better, which it should with a lower ride height and better steering. WHy is that so hard to understand?

And you comment about our "Yamahdogs" is that how you put it, not being together a year from now? Well, it has been out for just about a year now, and continues to do well in the racing and rec riding scene. Yamaha has a history of building fine equipment. There are a ton of Warriors (most popular atv of all time) and banshees still running strong. The only real blemish on Yamaha's resume' is the tranny issues of the Raptor 660. And that model's transmission was redisgned to work on it's issues. Even with that in mind, they still sell a ton of them because of that big 660 sticker on the side.

Now, about the price thing, yes the 250R was $3000 bucks in 1986. And Corvettes were 28 grand, tickets to a movie were 3 bucks, etc. Comparing the prices of a late 80s model to that of a machine from today is ignorant. Or look at it this way, the service Honda 250R with the newer technology cr250 motor is more expensive than the YFZ or TRX450.

And I will stand by what I said earlier, if you did a shoot out with a new 250r, YFZ, TRX, Z400, Cannondale the 250r would come in last. SOrry, but true. The 250R is the greatest ATV the AFTERMARKET ever built.

Back to the topic, the Honda and Yamaha 450s are both great. One will suit some, the other will suit others. Pic one and enjoy.

Scott

yfzmike
05-06-2004, 06:14 AM
I have riden both quads and I own a yfz. I wouldnt hesitate to buy the honda. There are some subtle differences but they both are kick arse machines

Roostin250R
05-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Scottie Mac, I agree with much of what you are saying, however, if we are comparing a "new" 250R to the new quads available today, I would imagine a NEW 250R would be much more advanced in technology like the new 4 strokes are, such as a powervalved motor, suspension, etc. I'm assuming you mean how it was produced in the 80s. Yes the R is aging, I personally am saddened the manufactures gave up so easily on 2 strokes because of the dam tree huggers. Dollar for dollar they are much easier to coax power out of which is why I own and have owned several Rs.Like it or not, we have HONDA to thank for engineering a frame that everyone wanted to copy, even the aftermarket guys. They may have made slight improvements to it but its basically the same just stronger. Ok, I'll climb down off my 2stroke/250R soap box now:p . Sorry guys, I'm just old school, but its all good:D

Scottie Mac
05-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Roostin,

The Service Honda has a powervalve motor. And I must disagree with you analogy that it is easier to coax power out of a two stroke. Most (non pro types) can get a YFZ track ready with just a pipe, K&N and cam mod. You are talking about 500 bucks to get a motor ready. Now you can add the same mods to a two stroke, but you will be rebuilding it three times as much.
Most of the racers on tour who still run 250Rs are powervalve bikes and they hold there own, but with twice as much investment to do so.

I don't dislike the 250R, I have owned two and loved them, but the new generation four strokes are an advancement in just about every way.

Scott

Roostin250R
05-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I agree 2 strokes require more attention, to me its worth it. Maybe these new thumpers are different, I'm going back a few years now, but it was always a known fact that it was easier to hop up a 2 stroke same mod for same mod in horse power gain, I'm not talking MAX HP just what you gained in total increase per mod. And I'm sure, only time will tell, that even these newer hi- tech 4 strokes will require more rebuilds than the older designs. I'm aware of the Service Honda 2 stroke, I've seen it in person . Would I buy one? No! I would actually buy one of the new 4 strokes before paying that kind of money for a CR250 engine stuffed into a 400EX frame.and Yes I believe that quad would give these newer 4 strokes a run for their money, stock for stock in a drag only. Anything more than that and I think the newer quads would excel in all areas. I don't race anymore (too old well over 40 :( ), I'm just a weekend warrior as alot of us are, and in those circles my trusty ole 89 R (not stock mind you) still runs with and even outruns alot of new quads out today. I enjoy reading your posts Scottie Mac, very informative, Thanks!

Shuee_400
05-06-2004, 09:20 PM
this is really kind of funny to read.........but whoever wrote the on this forum the 450r loses again has some balls.........thats throwing alot out there for ppl to argue over

shaff107
05-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Dont know if these will help any but i no a man personally that owns 2 service honda 250R's they are 50.3 hps to the rear wheels! He races 265A and at one of the races he broke a chain and borich lapped and he passed borich back in the open and then let him back around because of borich being an extremely fast rider. but he continued to fallow borich through out a couple of miles. So me personally would say they are almost even.
the 265 A riders name is jeff breast

shaff107
05-06-2004, 09:46 PM
sorry on spelling it jeff brest

nifty450
05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
i wish i could buy a TRX, i really like them, and i think it would be cool to have both of the 450s. HONDA is great in reliability and good all around quads. personally i think they have better utility quads, while yamaha has better sport. i think yamaha will always be a little ahead, they always are, while honda sorta layes back and waits till the right moment to release a well rounded quad. both are great, YFZ just has the edge, a little bit more of everything than the TRX

southbeach14
05-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Shuee_400
this is really kind of funny to read.........but whoever wrote the on this forum the 450r loses again has some balls.........thats throwing alot out there for ppl to argue over

thats for saying that, is was my intention to get people fierd up, and guess what it worked, now i feel like i'm a part of this site

Scottie Mac
05-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Roostin250R
I agree 2 strokes require more attention, to me its worth it. Maybe these new thumpers are different, I'm going back a few years now, but it was always a known fact that it was easier to hop up a 2 stroke same mod for same mod in horse power gain, I'm not talking MAX HP just what you gained in total increase per mod. And I'm sure, only time will tell, that even these newer hi- tech 4 strokes will require more rebuilds than the older designs. I'm aware of the Service Honda 2 stroke, I've seen it in person . Would I buy one? No! I would actually buy one of the new 4 strokes before paying that kind of money for a CR250 engine stuffed into a 400EX frame.and Yes I believe that quad would give these newer 4 strokes a run for their money, stock for stock in a drag only. Anything more than that and I think the newer quads would excel in all areas. I don't race anymore (too old well over 40 :( ), I'm just a weekend warrior as alot of us are, and in those circles my trusty ole 89 R (not stock mind you) still runs with and even outruns alot of new quads out today. I enjoy reading your posts Scottie Mac, very informative, Thanks!

Roostin,

You are an old guy, too? I like you more than ever. :)

Yeah, I kinda thought Service Honda was asking a bit much for that quad. But, it was a good idea. I do agree with you about the rec riding. If I lived somewhere that had dunes I would build a high cc R to play with. Something like a 350R! If it wasn't for MX, I don't think I woudl have either of the 450s.

Scott

yfzboy450
05-22-2004, 01:59 AM
Have you guys noticed how many yamaha adds there are in DirtWheels? I have both quads and they are both sweet but i just think it is not cool to trash on the hondatrx450r. Seriously, Dirtwheels create shootouts and its always yamaha wining. Its ridiculous

SRH
05-22-2004, 10:25 AM
guys you just need to stop with the 250r stuff...its over there done there money pits, they can be competitive with alot fo $$ where as a yfz is basically stock, 450r is very good too im sure, , its personal preference what ever you like to build or ride is what youll own

Punk'd
05-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Hey southbeach14 look at this link in top speed http://www.freewebs.com/reconrider25/atvtopspeeds.htm and i believe there are 60 times as many yamaha adds than honda in Dirtwheels. What does that tell you? The Trx450r is a great quad weather you think so or not end of story.

NTPracing22
05-24-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm for either of them, I think they're sweet. But I think people should stop dissing honda or yamaha for 'sucking' or not winning when a suzuki is beating everyone:eek2:

southbeach14
05-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Hey southbeach14 look at this link in top speed http://www.freewebs.com/reconrider25/atvtopspeeds.htm and i believe there are 60 times as many yamaha adds than honda in Dirtwheels. What does that tell you? The Trx450r is a great quad weather you think so or not end of story.

i never said i didn't like the 450r, i just like my yfz better, its personal taste. i sure you like yours as much as i like mine. i bought the LE model, do you think honda will come out with a all black or a yellow 450r, i think both would look good.