PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 450?

04-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm running a cannondale now but am going to sell it to get one of the new 450's (honda or yamaha). The dales run great and pull hard when they are running (they have battery issues and have had a million updates that i had to make) but getting them started and having to charge a battery before I ride is not what I'm interested in anymore. I heard the YFZ's have battery issues and leaking problems and a numerous amout of things i read on this site is this and not sure it's going to be fixed on the new models. I dont' want to buy something i will have to fix as soon as I get it. I was wondering if the 450r has any consistant problems if any at all (not sure if it's just because it's new). I am trying to make up my mind on which to get that will be fast and trouble free. I am going to mod it so out of the box i dont care which is faster. I race XC and I am looking for the one best suited. I have heard the YFZ's are faster than the 450r and hit harder like a 2 stroke in an unbiased opinion what do you guys think? I dont' care red or blue I just want the best machine. Thx Guys

kssandduner
04-27-2004, 01:51 PM
If your not biased one way or the other, I would say ride them both, and then decide. Be sure to test ride a honda that has the suspension dialed in, the suspension is set crappy from the factory. Other than that, they're both awesome bikes. Good luck deciding.

Joe

lilredridenwood
04-27-2004, 08:47 PM
If you are going to mod it and you dont mind kick starting the honda would be agood choice, honda went the reliable route when they built the bike ther will be much room for improvement where the yamaha is close to the ragged edge already they already havea few issues. I saw a picture on another site where a yfz caught on fire because of the battery over charging. I also saw a picture of a450R where the case was split open at the kick starter when someone held the throttle open while kicking it!

04-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by lilredridenwood
. I also saw a picture of a450R where the case was split open at the kick starter when someone held the throttle open while kicking it! remind me not to do that now ever :eek2: