PDA

View Full Version : Clutch chatter..............

RIDER11X
04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Is this from my clutch getting hot, or does it mean that it is time for a new one? When letting it out sometimes it will chatter, and it had me wondering.............:confused:

cals400ex
04-27-2004, 11:55 AM
i am getting something similar too. i can feel it when i take off from a dead stop. i can't hear anything though. it doesn't slip at high rpms though. it only does it when the bike is hot. sorry that i didn't help much.

NacsMXer
04-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Man, I wish I could help you but Ive never experienced clutch chatter before, so im no clutch guru. But if I were you, I would change the oil and double check the cable adjustments at the lever and at the case. If it still chatters after that, then I would think that it would be time for some new plates and new heavy duty springs for peace of mind.

KY Woods Rider
04-27-2004, 02:07 PM
The stock 400EX clutch, and also some that are running aftermarket components, will chatter under certain conditions. My EX does it and every EX that I've ridden with OEM clutch components does it also. They do it the worst when they're hot and when lugging the motor at a low RPM. If you run it hard and get it hot, then you let the RPM drop and try to lug it, it will have some chatter. Likewise, if it's hot and you try to take off at a relatively low RPM, you may get a bit of chatter. Also, it seems to be just a bit worse if you're needing an oil change.

I've had my EX since late '98, and it has always had a little chatter under certain conditions. However, I've never had any unusual problems from it, just normal wear like you would expect from a clutch.

UglyMotha™
04-27-2004, 03:53 PM
yup http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

i couldn't have summed it up any better, you'll get clutch chatter out of just about anything when you lug it

RIDER11X
04-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone! That puts my mind at ease. What are the signs of a worn out clutch anyway? Slippage?

NacsMXer
04-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Thanks for all the info everyone! That puts my mind at ease. What are the signs of a worn out clutch anyway? Slippage?
I'd say that and your oil will smell like burned clutch fibers. The main thing I would look out for would just be the slippage. Do you get any when your on the gas ever, and does it do it more than it used to? That would probably mean its time for a clutch change.

RIDER11X
04-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I'd say that and your oil will smell like burned clutch fibers. The main thing I would look out for would just be the slippage. Do you get any when your on the gas ever, and does it do it more than it used to? That would probably mean its time for a clutch change.
All good in those ways, so I guess it is fine. I got a clutch pack and HD springs on the shelf just in case, so I guess I'll wait and see...........Thanks for the replies everyone!:cool: