PDA

View Full Version : pep race series shock

pa_countryboy
04-27-2004, 10:17 AM
whats all adjustable on the pep race series shocks and how much difference is there between these and works tripple rates with rezzies.
Thanks
Scott

rs169300
04-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I had a 88 250r with works triple, and I just got a Leg. 250 with PEP. I could not believe the difference. The quad seems to stick to the ground and can not feel the bumps as bad. I am not shure what my PEP are called, but they have comp., rebound, pelaod, and zps. From my experence I would spend the extra money. You get what you pay for.

PhilMoore
04-27-2004, 08:20 PM
I have 400EX front PEP tripple rate standard race shocks with reservoir. They have no adjustment except preload. They are brand new. I went for two rides with them. They feel about the same as my Works Tripple rates. They are harsh, but they are better than stock. They do not bottom out. They work ok with the stock rear shock. I would have to say the Works shocks are about the same as the PEP standard race shocks. So, if the Works are cheaper, I would go for them instead. Plus, you probably won't have to wait as long for the works as you will for the PEP. One thing I had a problem with on the Works shocks, is landing off a medium to large jump, the front end would "bounce back". I would have to let off the throttle to keep from wheelying over backwards when landing. The PEPs acted the same way.

Anyway, I was extremely dissappointed in the performance of the PEP shocks and got some Elkas. The Elkas are far superior in performance, the difference is night and day, even to an amateur like myself.

To be fair, I bought the PEP's off of Ebay. They were unused, and "set up" for my weight, but I did not order them direct from Baldwin, so I can't say they were set up for me specifically. However, in my opinion, the PEP standard race shocks are no better than Works. I am not saying Works are not good, I was very very happy with my works shocks for what I paid for them. I just needed to upgrade.
Also, in my opinion, there is no way PEP can possibly be good enough to justify the wait time for them. Plus, if the PEP are not initially set up correctly for you, I wonder how long it would take to get them re-adjusted. My past experience with Elka has been very positive in this regard. I sent my Banshee Elka's to the quadshop and they had them back to me in one weeks time.

As far as PEP quality: The PEP reservoir line seems extremely wimpy. It looks like it could be broken off very easily. Other than that, the shocks seem well made, they have a heavy duty 5/8 shaft.

There is probably more to tell, but this post is probably too long to keep anybodys attention anyway!
:p

PhilMoore
04-27-2004, 08:28 PM
BTW, PEP still gives you a chunk of radiator hose and four hoseclamps to chicken wire the cans on.

Again, just my opinion, but that is pretty lame. If you race it doesn't matter, but if you want your quad to look perty, the hoseclamps are pretty cheesy.

PS: Elka hoseclamps the rear can, but gives you some rubber feet rather than a chunk of 5/8 radiator hose. I got the front piggybacks so it isn't an issue there.

Florida400EX
04-27-2004, 09:08 PM
PEP builds a very good shock. I don't know what the problem was with yours, but if they are properly set-up they are just as good/ better than elka. Good luck on your new Elka's though!

rs169300
04-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
PEP builds a very good shock. I don't know what the problem was with yours, but if they are properly set-up they are just as good/ better than elka. Good luck on your new Elka's though!

That is the main key. Works (set up right) can be just as good as PEP (not set up.)

Florida400EX
04-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Any shock that's not set-up right will feel like crap!