View Full Version : RAD "break-in"?

xrracer36
04-27-2004, 07:08 AM
hello. :)

i just bought a RAD dual pinch locknut for my 400ex with an axcalibur, to fix the problem i was having with the stock axle nut/locknut loosening up on me.
i put the RAD on and tightened it down (not too much, mind you, as the directions call for no more than 5-10 lbs torquing to prevent damage to nut or bearings,can it be overtightened to the point that it will hurt aftermarket dual-row bearings, or would my only concern be with damaging the aluminum nut?... come to think of it, i've never seen a troque wrench that big???)
went to the local MX last saturday. went out for practice, came back in, checked it, and it loosened up.:confused:
WTF!:grr:
tightened it back down, retightened the pinch bolts, and went out for the first moto.
checked it when i came back in, and it loosened again.:huh :confused:
WTF, again! :grr: :mad:
RE-tightened it, AGAIN, torqued it down just a tiny bit harder this time, tightened the pinch-bolts a little harder this time (afraid to tighten either one any more for fear of stripping threads, cuz all these aftermarket parts mfgr.s make their stuff out of aluminum, and it's softer than steel. HELLO!!! who wants to buy a part if it is going to wear out in a season or less!?!?!? who cares if you save 1/2 an ounce!?! it's a 300lb machine!!! )
RE-tightened it down, AGAIN!!!, and went out for second moto.
came back in, checked it, and it did loosen up just a tiny bit, but not nearly as much (it seemed to loosen up less each time.)

is there a "break-in period" with these things that they need to go thru until they are 100% effective? i spent $40 on this thing, and i could've kept the stocker on if i knew it would do this, and bought something else for it.

i have a harescramble (XC) sunday, so i'll tape it up real good, mainly to keep mud outa the threads on the hub. would installing the stock locknut (the skinny one that tightens to the inside of the stock axle nut)help this??? i assume the tape will help a little, too. ??? i thought this thing was full-proof?

any input???
thanks,
racer36 :cool:

xrracer36
04-27-2004, 10:12 AM
bump...

i know other people out there have bought the RAD off of C&D.
did any of you have any problems like this, or not?
:confused:
thanks
racer36

KY Woods Rider
04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't have the RAD nut, but I've got the Speed nut. They both work on the same basic principle, so maybe I can help you.

When they say 5-10 ft/lbs, are you sure they're referring to how tight the nut is against the lock ring? To me it sounds like 5-10fts would be more suited to the torque of the pinch bolts, cause that sure isn't much torque. I guess anything is possible, but I seriously doubt you would damage the bearings unless you put the nut really tight. The stock axle nut (the wide, main nut) calls for 65 ft/lbs of torque.

Also, if you're loosening the pinch bolts to check how tight the nut is, that may be the problem. I don't know if the RAD does the same or not, but I can have my nut tight, and if I loosen the pinch bolts too much, it will back up about 1/4 round just because it looses its grip on the threads.

When I check to see if my axle is still tight, I try wiggling the axle (like checking bearings), wiggling the rotor and rotor hub (try to rock it in and out like checking front wheel bearings), and wiggling the nut and threaded collar assembly like I'm trying to turn it. If the axle nut is truly loose, you may be able to turn the lock nut and threaded collar slightly and feel them stopping against the splines, you'll have just a bit of play in the axle and there will be some side to side play in the rotor hub.

The way I tighten my lock nut is to first tighten the pinch bolts until I can just barely turn the lock nut by hand. Having the pinch bolts fairly snug prevents the lock nut from spreading itself open and stripping out when I tighten it against the lock ring. Then I tighten it up against the lock ring. I don't know how tight it really is because I just go by feel. I certainly don't strain when I tighten it, but it's pretty snug. I then jack the quad up and see if the axle spins freely. If it spins with only the normal amount of resistance, then the axle nut isn't too tight. If the axle is harder to turn than normal and the quad doesn't want to roll very easily when shoved across the garage, then the axle nut is too tight.

sparky450AR
04-27-2004, 06:27 PM
I had a RAD locknut and we tightened it, i dont think we followed the 5-10pound thing but it never hurt the bearings (i had a dual row rad bearing carrier) and the thing never came loose.

protraxrptr17
04-27-2004, 06:55 PM
On a dual row you can tighten it as tight as you want, but on a tapered bearing style you have to get the bearing preload right. On the dual row you have a spacer between the bearings. If your spacer is the correct length you can put 100ft lbs on it without damage. I tighten mine with a 36" monkey wrench! I think KY woods rider had a good point about checking the nut after loosening the pinch bolt. I had one of those RAD nuts on my Raptor and ended up throwing it away and putting my stock nuts back on. I stripped it out after it came loose 3 times. I don't know what you're riding, ( I'm assuming it's a Honda.) but on my Honda the stock setup seemed to work best. I just cleaned the threads real good and used BLUE Loctite. Stressing BLUE! Then I would get my big wrench and tighten the hell out of it.

xrracer36
04-28-2004, 06:13 AM
when we are "checking" the RAD nut, we are not loosening the pinch-bolts. we are just "checking" it by grabbing the rear disk, and wiggling it front-to-back.

the nut came with a warning that you can overtighten it and mess up the threads (aluminum nut) and bearings, that's the only reason i asked that. i didn't think we could hurt the bearings, with the spacer in the middle like that and all.
just didn't know how much tightening the nut could take without stripping out.
5-10lbs on the pinch bolts sounds more like it, too, i thought.
maybe i'll call C&D and see what they have to say. they sold it to me.

we tried the clean axle, stock nut, blue lock-tite, elec. tape thing, and thestocker still loosened up. :confused: :huh

maybe i've got some freak, horsepower monster 400ex:macho , and that's why it keeps break itself loose???? lol:rolleyes:

thanks, though. i appreciate the input.

racer36 :D

parkers30
04-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I put my aluminum lock nut on when I put in a dual row bearing carrier, the paper work accompanying the carrier and nut and the honda paper work all say 5-10, basically hand tight. I had to tightn mine like 4 times before it quit loosening, I guess the bearing were wearing in a little and getting fully pushed up against the center tube, good luck and some of the posts are a little off the wall and wouldn't recommend what they said to do

xrracer36
05-03-2004, 06:59 AM
rode a harescramble ("XC" for those unfamiliar with the term) yesterday, 1 hr. long, rode hard enough to get 3rd out of 13 in my class, and checked RAD nut afterwards.
stayed tight :D :eek: :D
hot dog!!!
just need time for the bearings and everything to seat in real good and everything, like parkers30 said.
thanks for the replies. i'll keep you posted if there's any changes.
hopefully this can help anyone else in the future who has this problem.
:macho
racer36 :cool: