PDA

View Full Version : GNCC sound testing.

LS@GtThunder
04-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Just a few notes on sound testing:

The atva/ama has set sound rules in place for several reasons which include environmental issues, and the general perception that the public has of our sport. As well as many other reasons. Of the atva/ama members, there is a much larger percentage of members that do not compete in closed course competition than those that do.

There are a lot of facts that effect this whole sound level issue.

1. AMA Pro Racing has tried on many occasions to implement sound rules at Pro events such as outdoor Nationals. They do enforce some level of control but it is not consistent from race to race.
2. How do you tell half of your top riders – You cant race this weekend since you are to loud.
3. Unless they take a hard line approach to the issue, it will remain a controversy.
4. If they take a hard line approach it will eliminate a few top riders whose paycheck depends on their racing for a race or 2 and may turn into a legal issue.
5. If they take a hard line approach they will have a lot of pressure from the exhaust companies for a race or 2 regarding a lot of then obsolete exhausts and upset customers.
6. These same exhaust companies are sponsoring many of these events.
7. I was told by an AMA official, that these rules were never intended for closed course competition.
8. Most people want to ride their bikes with the same exhausts installed during the week as what they race with.
9. These load exhausts turn many neighbors into enemies, and create a lot of ill will toward this sport.
10. An exhaust that is built to make good power with a low sound out put is more expensive to build and is more than just a quiet core.
11. GNCC and racer productions is not alone in this issue – this issue is being raised all over our country and in many other countries.
12. If Racer Productions successfully implements a sound level rule and takes a hard line approach – there will be problems.
13. If they don’t there will be problems.
14. If they do they will be used as an example by other organizations as a way to do this correctly.
15. It is just a matter of time till it will be enforced in one way or another – this is the results of several things including more population and more riders which results in more rude riders annoying people who in turn will take action.
16. Do I like the rule – no.
17. Do I think it needs to be implemented – yes.
18. Why is GNCC pushing it??
19. I don’t know but I can see several reasons that appear valid and a few that don’t.
20. One reason – I heard one GNCC official say “they are making my score keepers go deaf” – solution – wear ear plugs. It is not that easy, from what I understand they need to listen for the beep from their scanners to score efficiently.
21. The perception from many GNCC officials is that the ATV’S are louder than the bikes.
22. This perception has a few valid bases.
23. Some of the exhausts are louder.
24. The ATV is heavier and to accelerate at the same speed out of a corner, the rider will be using more throttle.
25. The nature of how a ATV corners lets the ATV rider use more throttle thru many of the same corners.
26. The way a ATV gets the best forward drive also means that many times the ATV will leave the scoring tent at full throttle and the bikes will not.
27. As I left the scoring tent this weekend at a OMA race – I thought to myself that if I was the score keepers, I would hate a rider like myself. They had a 80 foot straight stretch coming out of the tent. Guess what, full throttle out of the tent, I am sure we roosted them as well as turning them deaf.
28. Many complaints have been issued regarding the accuracy of the testing at the GNCC races.
29. The type of equipment that Racer productions is using leaves a lot in the hands of the user to determine its accuracy, and it is very difficult to do accurate testing with the types of terrain and background noise that they have at a National.
30. No matter what the problems, we will eventually see some form of enforcement so why not get it over with and start now with a hard line approach using methods that are consistent.
31. Put yourself in racer productions shoes for a moment.
32. This is a business to them.
33. They do not want to lose riders – that is where their profit comes from.
34. They want to implement a usable rule – that is why it is 104db instead of the atva/ama rule that is much lower.
35. If they spend a lot of money in extra man hours for training and sound testing they would need to raise the gate fee or entrée fee to maintain the same profit.

With all this said – I am glad that I am not in their shoes with the decisions they need to make on this issue.

LS

cdalejef
04-26-2004, 05:20 PM
You and me both!

Johnny_G
04-26-2004, 08:24 PM
That is alot of information, and good information.

I agree that it must be done, but as of right now the readings are so rediculously inconsistant I would be insanely upset if they told me that I was not aloud to race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think before the rules can be enforced, it is important to better establish a system that will give ACCURATE, and CONSISTENT readings. Once that system is in place i think it should become a cut and dry meet the DB requirements, or keep your bike on the trailer rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunesurfer
04-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Now maybe someone will make a good aftermarke exhaust that is quiet!

mmills023
04-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Dunesurfer
Now maybe someone will make a good aftermarke exhaust that is quiet!

It is not an issue of them making them, it is a issue of them making them profitability. They can make them but costs would go up, which i can tell you now those costs the manufacture themselves would not absorb, those costs would come down to the consumer. Full race exhaust is already reaching 700.00, the "quieter" exhaust would only cost more..........

On the other hand, if we dont do somthing to curb the non-riding publics worries then watch how fast this sport becomes non-exsistent...

Mike

bradley300
04-26-2004, 10:39 PM
with as inconsistent as the results are so far, i plan on going from the tent, to the back of the line until i get the reading i need

Bart
04-27-2004, 05:56 AM
I don't believe that noise is truely the issue with most of the general public (most closed course GNCC's are in the middle of nowhere). The people that complain about the "noise" are the people that just hate quads. It wouldn't matter if they were 104 dB, 94 dB, or 0 dB. They will try to stop quads in whatever ways they can.

If the noise is truely an issue with the scorers (which it sounds like it is), then that is something different and needs to be addressed.

It should be interesting to see what happens this weekend in Sparta...

Doibugu2
04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Fred
I don't believe that noise is truely the issue with most of the general public (most closed course GNCC's are in the middle of nowhere). The people that complain about the "noise" are the people that just hate quads. It wouldn't matter if they were 104 dB, 94 dB, or 0 dB. They will try to stop quads in whatever ways they can.

It's all about perception. If RP is saying they are trying to make advancements to quite the exhaust, they can at least say they are doing something.

What soulnds better to a reporter, when someone asks, "Joe, down the street thinks ATV's and there riders are a bunch of drunks, who ride 4 wheelers instead of Harleys because they can't ride on 2 wheels?

Racer Prod's First Response: "Who cares about them, they just are ignorant and don't know nothing:

Or

Response Two: "We are working to change the perception of the ATV industry. First and formost we are a family sport and we don't allow anyone to drink and ride. We provide a place for people of all ages to ride in a safe enviorment. And we are working with exhaust Manufactures to reduce the noise pollution."

Which response is a better BUSINESS response?

Dunesurfer
04-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by mmills023
It is not an issue of them making them, it is a issue of them making them profitability. They can make them but costs would go up, which i can tell you now those costs the manufacture themselves would not absorb, those costs would come down to the consumer. Full race exhaust is already reaching 700.00, the "quieter" exhaust would only cost more..........

On the other hand, if we dont do somthing to curb the non-riding publics worries then watch how fast this sport becomes non-exsistent...

Mike

Mike, I couldn't agree with you more. Still it would be cheaper to buy one pricy quiet exhaust than being in the position of buying a system and then needing to replace it to get quiet.

240GNCC400
04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
I think part of the reason that sound has become an issue is because RP is trying to get races closer to cities and not so far in the sticks (no disrespect to anyone living close to a track) so they can draw a larger spectator crowd. Also places like Wisp and now the new WV track are vacationing places who probably like our money, but not the noise we make.

When I was on a two stroke I was all for a restricted sound level. Ive come up behind too many 4 strokes that gave me headaches, and thats with a helmet on. Now that I have a 4 stroke its got me a little worried because Im right at the cut off level. but to me 104db is a reasonable level and if they will enforce it for everybody I say go for it.

GNCC225
04-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Maybe you should wear earplugs, and i guess you don't understand what everybody is talking about the different readings they are coming up with, they said i didn't pass in N.C. and in S.C. it did. How is that possible.

popo
04-27-2004, 10:35 PM
The real question is, who owns the testing equipment????? Did somebody say Silent Sport........ How come no testing at GNC races??? R/P puts these events on.

yamblaster200
04-28-2004, 06:09 AM
do they test the bikes? like barry hawk and them? They race on the same track and in many cases use the same motors. also, bring back the 2 strokes. I don't know what the decible levels are but i know that when watching a race 4 strokes sound 10 times louder than the 2's. And these expensive quiet exhausts are bull. Someone like me, who barely has the money to make it to the track once in a while, i was looking into getting an exhaust on my quad cuz of the power to dollar ratio. If pipes get more expensive, I and a lot of other people won't be able to afford it. And I'm not going to put a pipe on that won't let me race...so I'll just stick with my stock pipe. I agree that something has to be done for the scorers...but for the neighbors? I agree that the people complaining just hate atv's and would complain if they were running on electric motors.

Ryan
04-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

Response Two: "We are working to change the perception of the ATV industry. First and formost we are a family sport and we don't allow anyone to drink and ride. We provide a place for people of all ages to ride in a safe enviorment. And we are working with exhaust Manufactures to reduce the noise pollution."

Makes the sport look much better....

04-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Well I hope this new HMF pipe with quiet core sitting on my desk is gonna pass....:o

It's gonna be funny to see YFZ's with ballance series pipe go thru and fail but Bill still get to run....:o

Shawn H
04-28-2004, 03:10 PM
There is no way to get a accurate reading when you got 50 or more quads driving and burping there throttles coming by the testing site :grr: while they are testing along with all the additional noise from everything going on ,(people,cars,trucks,food stand generators etc....)

104db shoot 2 of our local races in D23 is 96+2 db which is almost impossible to hit. With out a turndown and extra steel wool packing:devil:

TheJeSter1340
04-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, just put some steel wool in there, they only rev the bikes to 4800rpm's right? just make sure it is packed good enough to stay in at that, or put a quiet core in on top of it, then after sound take the core out and rev the bike a little, the wool will come out. :devil:

cjpoole1
04-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Rico
It's gonna be funny to see YFZ's with ballance series pipe go thru and fail but Bill still get to run....:o
I was thinking the same thing except I want be laughing cause it could be me :mad:

spincr4hire
04-29-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by TheJeSter1340
Yeah, just put some steel wool in there, they only rev the bikes to 4800rpm's right? just make sure it is packed good enough to stay in at that, or put a quiet core in on top of it, then after sound take the core out and rev the bike a little, the wool will come out. :devil:

if it don't come out, it will give a new meaning to the phrase 'pulling some wool'...:p

Pappy
04-29-2004, 07:08 AM
ummm very interesting concept popo.....

silent sport is a large sponsor of the gncc's.....what better way to move product and look like the good guy when your pipe fails the limit.

"oh your pipe didnt pass:confused: no problem, hand me some cash and we will re pack it for you"

do they test the bikes on sunday?

i agree that if gncc riders are tested id say gnc riders should follow suit.

yamblaster200
04-29-2004, 10:49 PM
heck, why not test everyone in every form of racing? Nascars can only make 105 db ?!?!?!?!?! dragsters? monster trucks? The fact is they're only doing this i believe because we're atv's, and everyone hates atv's. I still haven't heard yet if they're testing the bikes, but i don't see how they can get away with testing quads and not bikes when they race on the same track the same weekend, and have basically the same motors and pipes.

quadnice
04-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Check out the pic links in my post here-
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105003