PDA

View Full Version : opinions on downloading music

sic250x
04-26-2004, 12:29 PM
I gotta write a school paper on the topic chosen. I need some inputs. No cussing. NO FLAMING.

sic250x
04-26-2004, 12:33 PM
I forgot you also need to put your first name at the bottom of your post. Thanx

rollie
04-26-2004, 12:53 PM
i personaly think its a good idea but i wouldnt think that if i was a record company or a band....so im undecided

:o

Nik

sickmojave
04-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Are you asking about the pay-per-song downloads or the "illegal" type downloads?

Doibugu2
04-26-2004, 01:32 PM
I don't think bootlegging is any more wide spread now than it was before. They meaning the Record Industry just has an easy way to fight it. If we went back to the old way of just coping them and passing them to a buddy we would never get caught. The age of the internet just allowed them to use IP and Internet Companies to prosecut the little guys.

We are only taking money out of the record company because the artists get virtually nothing for every CD sold. They only make money on Tours and apperances.

Also, the quality of the music recently has gone way down. How many original songs do you hear now a days. Most of them are remakes.

Doug

blondie69
04-26-2004, 01:39 PM
It's okay if it is the odd song. But if your downloading whole albums, then that shouldn't be allowed.

-Tegan

hondafox440
04-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm all for it. The musicians hardly make anything from record sales, and even if we couldn't download music I still wouldn't pay for CDs. Having free music gives me a chance to find out which bands I do and don't want to see in concert, then go buy tickets (from which the band makes money). The only person I'm really hurting is Mr. Boughtmywife at Trendyname Records. He may only get to buy 4 Bentleys this month :(

Wayne64SS
04-26-2004, 02:16 PM
I am all for it as well. Most of us that dl songs go out and buy the cds later anyways. No reason to prosecute its so stupid... Record companies m,ake too much $$ anyway. Anyone that thinks its wrong should watch cribs once or twice. REDICULOUS

04-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Wayne64SS
Anyone that thinks its wrong should watch cribs once or twice. REDICULOUS b/c every music artist has a house like that right? no :rolleyes:

Atreyu
04-26-2004, 02:55 PM
I think the download software should be purchased and the cost should be split amongst the artists who chose to allow their songs to be downloaded. I know I sound like an old ******* when I say this but I think piracy is wrong. It's no different from stealing a candybar. People put work, time, and money into the music.

gojk
04-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I think Napster did it right. I am not gunna go buy a $15 CD for one song, but I will buy the 1 song for $1.

massjunglist
04-26-2004, 03:33 PM
just out of curiosity, who are you to tell me what to do? your thread seems a little bossy. imo.

blondie69
04-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by massjunglist
just out of curiosity, who are you to tell me what to do? your thread seems a little bossy. imo.

Did he tell you that you can't download music?:confused:
He's just looking for opinions...not to flame people who do/don't download music. He's researching for a paper he's doing to see what people think about it. He's not trying to lecture you to not download music;) :)

hondarider2006
04-26-2004, 03:51 PM
I think that its nice to be able to just click and have the song there for you to listen to anytime that you are on your computer. The new Kazaa lite costs about $2.00 a month and you can download whatever you want, sounds like somthing I am going to do, seeing as how it won't be illegal that way:)

-Nick

hondarider2006
04-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Its 100% Legal:)

And here is what it says on there site....

"Stay legal and avoid breaking the law! MP3s and file-sharing networks are legal and using them is also legal. Inside our member's area you will find a section dedicated on showing how to stay 100% legal while getting access to the largest file sharing networks.

Share Responsibly:
Copyright law protects original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual compositions. Individuals who reproduce, distribute copies, publicly perform or display works without the copyright owner's consent, may be in violation of the law. For more information about U.S. copyright law, please visit:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

We do not condone copyright infringement. Due to the nature of peer-to-peer software, we are unable to monitor or control the types of files shared within the peer-to-peer communities. "

400EX_Kid_03
04-26-2004, 08:47 PM
I DL, dont see anything wrong with it...

Dan

ewalker302
04-26-2004, 10:19 PM
I say get it while the gettin's good

If you pay for kazaa you are getting ripped.
It's the same network as the regular kazaa, it's actually a scam.
They make this site up to charge people money, and connect them to the exact same thing you can get for free, and it certainly isn't any more or less "legal".

Kazaa lite which was based on Kazaa 2.5 is dead.

The new hacked version is called Kazaa Resurrection, based on Kazza 2.6

http://frysblog.com/kazaa/

:bandit:

hondarider2006
04-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
I say get it while the gettin's good

If you pay for kazaa you are getting ripped.
It's the same network as the regular kazaa, it's actually a scam.
They make this site up to charge people money, and connect them to the exact same thing you can get for free, and it certainly isn't any more or less "legal".

Kazaa lite which was based on Kazaa 2.5 is dead.

The new hacked version is called Kazaa Resurrection, based on Kazza 2.6

http://frysblog.com/kazaa/

:bandit:

Now I am glad that I downloaded an older verison instead of paying for it. I was wondering how it worked......them being on the same network and all. Looks like I will be sticking with the "illegal" one;)

sic250x
04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by sickmojave
Are you asking about the pay-per-song downloads or the "illegal" type downloads?

I was talking about free downloading, so yea the "illegal" downloading

sic250x
04-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey guys thanx alot and thanx for your opinions. That helped me a bunch. I didn't hear about that 12 year old girl getting sued.My teacher said it was good info.

P.S.- Sorry about my thread being so bossy.LOL.:rolleyes:

sly400ex
04-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by sic250x

P.S.- Sorry about my thread being so bossy.LOL.:rolleyes:

It wasn't bossy, you were basically asking for mature responses, which you got for the most part....:)

Giz400ex
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
I believe the amount of money they charge you for a CD is crazy! I'm glad that you can download the music. Its pay back time for all those years that they screwed us! Obviously the music industry is hurting because you see all these artist going to the films and occasionally they'll pop out another album. Napster, Limewire ect.... Thank you!!!!

250rider4lyfe
04-27-2004, 07:11 PM
I think downloading free music is fine. If you were to record a song on the radio onto a tape wouldnt that be the same thing. But thats not illegal. Its just a more modern version of recording because nowadays no one listens to tapes, everyone listens to cds.

Brandon

toby400ex
04-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I think it is wrong because we are taking food out of the hungry mouths of rap stars and teenie boppers. :o

DillonTMNT
04-27-2004, 08:33 PM
I download as much stuff as I possibly can a day. I download for others who dont have acess to the internet or a fast connection. musicians dont make squat off of cds anyways. they make their cash through the live shows and merchandise. The cost of a cd is crazy. I mean I can buy 50 blank cdrws for 15 bucks. If the recording industry lowered their prices to say 5$ a cd then I would buy them, but until then I will burn all my music. Cause in reality isnt music made to be enjoyed not to be made profit off of? These artists dont need a zillion dollars anyways. I figure I make up for my lack of cd buying with my purchasing of the artists t-shirts, stickers, patches, buttons and show tickets anyways. I do this because all of the money goes directly to the artist not filtered through the recording company (who keeps over 75% of the cash anyways)...

-Dillon

PS: I download Metallicas new stuff just to spite lars....take it ..

roostin_dale
04-27-2004, 08:36 PM
I do it every day, i think it is fine. They are so filthy rich its not like they will miss the few dollars from downloading a song.

When rap stars and singers whine because they currently only have $15,000,000, i think it is rediculas. We can hardly pay our bills every month:o

Dirk

hondarider2006
04-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
I do it every day, i think it is fine. They are so filthy rich its not like they will miss the few dollars from downloading a song.

When rap stars and singers whine because they currently only have $15,000,000, i think it is rediculas. We can hardly pay our bills every month:o

Dirk

werd:cool:

sic250x
04-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I think it is wrong because we are taking food out of the hungry mouths of rap stars and teenie boppers. :o

If i was you i would not be worried about saving money and i would be worried about getting some shocks and signing up in the b class and not chicken out and sign up in c:rolleyes: