PDA

View Full Version : any small engine guys?

NTPracing22
04-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I've got a 6.5 hp. tecumseh motor in my mini chopper. I'm about done building it but I can't get the motor to run. it ran great before i took it out of the go-cart. here's the problem

the fuel isn't getting sucked into the carb when i pull the motor over, but when i open the drain at the bottom of the float (with the gas on) gas will go down threw the line and out the carb. im going to try cleaning out the carb, any other sugestions?

by the way-i know it's got spark, i threw some ether in there and it burning it right up
thanks guys

sly400ex
04-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks between the cardb and motor

ReconRider25
04-26-2004, 01:40 PM
^^yep. also have you tried spraying enough starting fluid in the carb to get it running so it starts pumping gas?

NTPracing22
04-26-2004, 02:50 PM
i tried quiet a bit of starter fluid, but nothing happened. I"ll check for leaks in a few mintues, thanks guys

NTPracing22
04-26-2004, 03:31 PM
i didn't find any leaks between the carb and the cylinder. i sprayed starting fluid into the carb, but it still didn't start. i even put some in the cylinder, then into the carb so when the fluid in the cylinder light the stuff frlom the carb would suck into the cylinder and start a vacuum-still no luck. I'm running out of ideas here:rolleyes:

derekhonda
04-26-2004, 05:42 PM
rebuuild the carb and check all the fuel lines/jets everything. sounds like something is clogged

NTPracing22
04-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I rebuilt the carb already and cleaned everything out, one of the lines is new and the other i blew out and inspected.

chucked
04-26-2004, 08:01 PM
I know this sounds stupid but make sure the throttle is hooked up right and the butterfly is opening, I know some small engines will shut off if you turn the throttle down really low.

brian-250
04-26-2004, 08:05 PM
yea^^^,this sounds stupid but,take out the drain plug and tap your bowl with a wrench or somthing,hey it worked for me,float stuck:rolleyes:

Jay300ex
04-26-2004, 09:31 PM
I am OPE certified =)

Try this: Turn your high speed adjustment screw in and count how many turns it goes in. It should be around 1 and a quarter to 1 and a half turns. If not, put it there. If you don't get anything from that, take your carb apart, and go through it.

By go through it, I mean completely disassemble it, blow out all passages and jets with carb cleaner and compressed air. Actually make sure that the passages are clear. If it has been sitting for a while, the gas might have gummed up and stuck inside a jet, or there is dirt/rust or w/e clogging one. You should be able to see through the jets and emulsion holes. Try that.

CarzyRrider
04-27-2004, 02:23 AM
that doesn't make sense if u got spark and u spray starter fluid in the motor it should still ignight ...... i coild have no carb and get it to ignight the fluid if it had spark

NTPracing22
04-27-2004, 06:04 AM
here's a thought-the only thing different on the motor since I had it runnning last time is the fuel filter. Depending on what filter it is, they can be too restrictive for a small engine to try and suck gas through. I'm going to puck up some hot line and try that today.

Jay300ex, thanks for the advice, I tried that earlier in the night and dind't have any luck.

Chucked-it is stupid, and its not at the same time. sometimes it just comes down to the stupid things, but the butterfly is opening and closing on demand.

CrazyRrider, the first time I put starting fluid in the cylinder it kicked right over, since then I haven't had luck

thanks for the ideas guys!

Hoggr9
04-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Sometimes the flywheel key can partially or totally shear which will let the flywheel move.This in turn changes the timing.
Then even though you have fuel and spark you may not be getting them at the same time as compression.
That means no run.....

SGA
04-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Hoggr9
Sometimes the flywheel key can partially or totally shear which will let the flywheel move.This in turn changes the timing.
Then even though you have fuel and spark you may not be getting them at the same time as compression.
That means no run.....
I agree, check that. It should pop over with ether.

Smokin 440
04-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Any pics of the mini chopper?

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2004, 03:56 PM
the best small engine site on the net http://forum.4cycle.com/

If it wasnt for that site...I'da never had any fun w/ my karts haha:D Good Luck w/ it Wes:cool: she sure turned out sweet!!

SGA
04-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
the best small engine site on the net http://forum.4cycle.com/

If it wasnt for that site...I'da never had any fun w/ my karts haha:D Good Luck w/ it Wes:cool: she sure turned out sweet!!
Thats bobs. Excellent site. We race Karts also.
Heres the home page link.
http://www.4cycle.com/

brian-250
04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
www.smallenginewarehouse.com call and ask for Roy padgett,the rest of them boys dont know chit:o :D ;)

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Thats bobs. Excellent site. We race Karts also.
Heres the home page link.
http://www.4cycle.com/ I think 1 of those guys on that site is fam w/ Roger Clements, but yeah..awesome site for karts, I traded my Wazoom motor for a bunch of R parts, I still have my CRG but its leaned against the wall all motorless haha, all the neighbor kids have been "hot-lappin' the hood" on their karts, kinda makes me wanna bust mine out and put another motor on it...the Briggs are cheapest and a dime a dozen but its a shifter and I keep telling myself not to mess w/ those anymore and just throw a real shifter motor back on it LOL:o :rolleyes: :D Chances are I'll end up w/ another B&S;)

NTPracing22
04-27-2004, 06:46 PM
what's hot lappin the hood mean? lol. Im not into road racing carts, just the offroad ones. My cart is slowly commin along...back to the chopper

i'll head out and check the flywheel key real quick. if anyone wants a picture of the chopper, send me thier email adress so you can post the picture on here, i have no idea how to.

JTR, check your pms'

NTPracing22
04-27-2004, 06:50 PM
by the way-the lack of flywheel key that causes incorrect timing would lead to not creating the vacuum needed to bring the gas to the cylinder, right?

and the off-timing would be the reason that when i put started fluid in the motor, it doesn't light even though I have spark?

thanks for the help guys

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
what's hot lappin the hood mean? lol. Im not into road racing carts, just the offroad ones. My cart is slowly commin along...back to the chopper

i'll head out and check the flywheel key real quick. if anyone wants a picture of the chopper, send me thier email adress so you can post the picture on here, i have no idea how to.

JTR, check your pms' your box is full dude:D

another thing that gave me greif was the air-gap in between the coil and flywheel, but if you havent messed w/ it ..it should be fine, all I know is it was real picky when I lost the gap on mine, oh yeah..stay away from those aluminum flywheels....they've been known to explode and hurt ppl pretty bad(if its got 1), w/o the key-way..it wont stay timed at all, Ive seen a few that did for awhile but they'll spin outta time ,they shear keys all the time,good luck dude

NTPracing22
04-27-2004, 08:05 PM
that's wierd, i don't have anything in my box. i'll clean the outbox

I think the coil **** the bed on me yesterday, because it had good spark when I started working on it, then it kind of died out, and today it had none. I did clean off the pickups on the flywheel and coil, so i most likely lost my gap.

this crap's getting fustrating! lol

NTPracing22
04-27-2004, 08:33 PM
For all your karting gurus, where would I go about finding an ignition coil for a Tecumseh Powersport OHH60 (6.5hp). Thanks!

NTPracing22
04-28-2004, 04:38 PM
alright I got a new coil and have spark again (wahoo) but It still won't light starting fluid in the cylinder.

I think the main problem I'm facing is that gas is going into the carb, but not going out. Cleaning it tonight will now be my 3rd time.

there is air comming out of the valve cover and going down into the carb, but maybe its not enough to start a vacuum effect?

Defiant
04-28-2004, 04:46 PM
How long has it been sitting .

NTPracing22
04-28-2004, 07:10 PM
a lloonnnggg time, rougly since early last summer

brian-250
04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
For all your karting gurus, where would I go about finding an ignition coil for a Tecumseh Powersport OHH60 (6.5hp). Thanks!

the link i posted,that guy carres ANYTHING you just have to call;) ,roy is always nice to me:D

SGA
04-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Air being pushed out of the crank vent tube ( going to the carb) is normal when the piston goes down. any crank case blowby gasses are pulled in the combution chamber and burned.
It cant be all that hard to get a little engine running, even though it seems the simplest are the hardest some times.
Did you pull the side cover at all and change the cam timing?

You should have hot fire to the plug able to travel 1/4 inch.
Have you tried a new plug. I have seen plugs do weird things.

SGA
04-28-2004, 10:27 PM
If you have good spark, good compression and the timing is correct, it HAS to pop over with starting fluid. It has no choice. Show that engine who's boss:)

Jay300ex
04-29-2004, 09:01 PM
http://motocross.com/motoprof/

Here you go bud, those are some of the lessons that my teacher uses at school. Hope they help.

Jay