PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Thumb throttle??

nasty88r
04-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Does anyone run a different thumb setup with the Edelbrock carb?? I have the stock 400ex thumb throttle that I grinded out to make the slide come up more, but it still does not open all the way and you have to push the throttle too far now and after a couple minutes of hard riding my thumb is killing me.. I heard of people running different thumb throttles to get the full opening. Does anyone have any experience on the different setups that can be used??

PHIL_B54
04-26-2004, 09:58 AM
do some searching, ive heard people cutting a coil off the spring to soften it up

86atc250r
04-26-2004, 11:06 AM
That's one of the biggest problems with the Edelbrock and Lectron carbs -- too much throttle throw.

About your only option to solve the problem is to alter the leverage ratio somehow - via a new thumb throttle or some other means.

Doing so will make the throw feel more firm- but the trade off for less throw may be worth it --- many people don't realize that many times it's not the stiffness of the throttle that creates thumb fatigue, it's the ergos of the throttle itself - a long throw is one of the biggest reasons for thumb fatigue.

As far as what to use to accomplish this goal? Can't help much there - maybe someone else has some experience on what to use (other than switching to an FCR ;)).

R3Concepts
04-26-2004, 12:31 PM
In order to get full throttle even after you grind down the stop, is you have to adjust the cable out at the top. And with the hard thumb throttle take off the throttle cap and spray WD40 down the cable often and it will loosen right up. Mine is softer then stock bikes.

nasty88r
04-26-2004, 10:47 PM
You can only adjust the cable out so far, then the idle becomes to high. I never said it was hard to push it is just that the travel is to long. Has anyone ever tried a different throttle housing off another bike?? I heard somewhere to use a YFZ throttle has anyone tried this??

velocityatv
04-26-2004, 11:08 PM
I race with a couple other guys who run edelbrock carbs and they run the Terry cable or Moose all aluminum assemblies. It's the only way they can get full throttle out of em. I was just on Ebay and there is a red one on there as tonight.

K_Fulk
04-27-2004, 03:04 PM
I used a warrior throttle for my edelbrock. It let the carb open all the way. But even after removing the return spring, taking out the small magnet that came in it, and greasing the thumb shaft and the cable end it was still really stiff.

Only thing that fixed it for me was switching to a fcr.