PDA

View Full Version : I am going to burn it.

44oEX
04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
well here goes my luck. at the end of last summer when I was breaking in my 500 I pulled a stud and blew the gasket. By mid winter I had some spare time so I put in some heli-coil. Yeah that worked for about 20 minutes. I finaly got some more time and money so I put in some kein certs (sp) an was hopping that would work. 3 of them held for about 10 min but I pulled one right out. still better then the heli-coil, I pulled 3 of those. I can`t put anything bigger in there to make new treads. I am at the biggest I can go ( I think). I am so pissed. I took out the old 300 4X4 for a spin :devil: that helped to calm me down a little.

I am ready to weld the head on to the cylinder. and see if that hold. ( OK well not really but you get it ) It would probably hold tho:D
But what can I do to get that tham thing to hold. I was thinking of getting some liquide metal or something like and kind of welding those stud in there. If I can get it to hold, the cylinder is trash so even if I can`t take the studs out again I don`t really care. I just want to drive the dam thing. I never really even got a chance to get it wide open. I know getting a new cylinder would work but I want something cheaper.

Please help before I burn it or weld the head on the cylinder. :devil:

MIKE400EX
04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Silly question, but have you contacted FST? How did they say to fix it? They make a d*** good stud kit.

Florida400EX
04-25-2004, 08:34 PM
If you need the power soo bad, sell it and get a 450. Seems like you have enough stuff to sell it to get close to enough for a 450.
Good luck with it.

Silver400EXinBR
04-25-2004, 09:24 PM
hell with that... i m beatin the stock 450r with pipes...

44oEX
04-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Yeah I contacted FST and mickey says it sould hold. He said he the inserts I put in would hold no problem. Yeah right.

And right know the holes are to big to put in some HD studs.
He sayed I could change the cylinder but that is expensive.

From what I heard the 500 kicks the 450`s a** so I am better off with this one if I can just get it going.

punker69q
04-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Maybe the threads were not properly machined (too big hole before taping) or the thread finish was not good (did you used proper cutting oil) or maybe the tap was not parralel to the drilled hole....

These holes should be made on atleast a very good press drill or a radial drill, or even better on a vertical milling, this way the holes would have more chance to be straight. You should also drill the hole and right after tap it without moving the drill or milling table and using a centering tool to keep the tap perfectly straight.

You should also always use a smaller drill when you make a hole for the first time, to make sure that the machine you are using/material you a drilling won't cause the hole to be bigger than the drill size, i've sometime had to use 1/64 smaller drill to get a correct hole size in aluminum.

Maybe your holes could be welded and re-machined, but you will need to find a very competent machine shop before you let them play with your cylinder and good machine shops are rare in new-brunswick. The only ones that I know are only equiped with cnc machines and they only make huge batch of parts, except maybe one, i'll try to ask the shop owner and let you know...

If their was more quads in my area, I think I would start building engines, I could do kick *** job in my shop and could maybe help you, but I live like 8 hours away from you...

Hope this help ya :macho

44oEX
04-27-2004, 12:49 PM
thanks for the info. But I got the treads made at a engine builder/machin shop so they sould be pretty good:rolleyes: But you never know.I am going to change the cylinder. I got one for cheap that was blow but I have to take the sleeve out anyway.

I also like to do engine work. I did a couple of motors for some guys around here and they work great I just can`t get mind to work:grr: But I know it`s fun to work on engines as long as it`s going good.