PDA

View Full Version : stock clutch

wantinga400ex
04-25-2004, 06:36 PM
I read a few different 400ex reviews. Most of them said that the stock clutch fades just after a little riding. I was wondering if you guys had any problems with yours? Or premature wearing?

ReconRider25
04-25-2004, 07:21 PM
mine gets stiff real quick so after lubing it it only stays not stiff fer like a wek.:mad: and yes i replaced lever and perch and the quad is only like 5 months old.:grr: :grr:

K_Fulk
04-25-2004, 10:07 PM
My stock clutch was still good when i sold my motor in december. It was about 3 1/2 years old and 2 of those years it was a 440.

Probly just depends how hard you are on it.

KY Woods Rider
04-25-2004, 10:13 PM
It depends on how you ride it.

For riding in the woods, I don't have any problems with the stock clutch. However, I am not a clutch slipper, I just keep the quad in the correct gear and let the motor do all the work. The only time my clutch gets slipped is when I truly need it, such as if I'm getting into some trouble on a hillclimb. Basically, I'm a true 4-stroke rider, I just keep my hand off the clutch and let the torque pull me out of the corners.

However, when I ride MX it fades terribly. It seems like the second I get onto an MX track, I turn into a clutch slipper. A lot this is because there's doubles that are directly after a corner, and running a gear high and slipping the clutch is a lot easier and faster than trying to pull a shift right before you hit the jump. Also, my relatively stock EX isn't all that great in the motor department, and it really shows up when racing MX, so I often use the clutch to get an explosive burst of power out of the tight corners. When riding like that and using the clutch so much, you can expect it to start fading badly about the time you start the 4th lap, and you'll basically have a limp lever by the time you cross the finish line.

So in other words, if you're a clutch slipper, you're going to have some problems. On the other hand, if you're the type of person who only uses the clutch for taking off, stopping, and shifting, then you probably won't have too many problems.

For me, since I'm easy on the clutch in the woods and I rarely ride MX, the clutch lasts about as well as you would expect a clutch to last in anything else.