PDA

View Full Version : hrc kit for trails

Lon Grossman
04-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I trail ride mostly ( PA very rocky). I changed my rear sprocket to 41t, much better bottom end. I can now go slow over rocks without stalling.
Should I install the my hrc kit? Will I lose the bottom end that I gained or will the 41t sprocket be a good fit for trails.

tkwarrior
04-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I trail ride with the HRC kit and stock 14/38 gearing. I'm just on the clutch alot for tight trails. The 13t front was annoying because you had no 2-3 gear because they are so close. Anyway I would def go with the HRC kit.

servicehonda.com has it for $252

2004TRX450R
04-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Stick that sucker in there. You won't regret it!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
I have the HRC kit and 13/39 seems to work good for me.

86atc250r
04-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Personally, I'd leave the stock cam in for trail riding.

When switching from stock to the HRC cam I noticed a distinct loss of bottom and mid - and the addition of top end.

For the woods, a 450R has plenty of top end stock - not sure giving up bottom end for even more top is a good idea.

I for one, liked the wide power delivery of the stock cam and when I buy my 2nd 450R (which will be a woods racer - my current 450R has an MX setup), I will leave my stock cam in place.

Additionally, I was not terribly impressed with the gains of the HRC kit. My first impression was the quad was actually slower due to the loss of the torque I liked so much. Racing against other 450Rs has proved otherwise, but all the same, I think a full pipe is going to be necessary to see the real benefits of this cam across the board.

For woods and trail riding, I'd suggest leaving the cam stock - if you want more power, install the HRC exhaust tip, open the airbox, and jet --- or get a pipe & do the same.

For MX, TT or other riding where additional top end is valuable, the HRC cam will probably be a welcome item.