PDA

View Full Version : turning front rims around vs offset rims

honda4life
08-24-2001, 09:29 AM
I saw a post on here talking about how you can bend your spindles by turning your front rims around, also someone saying you get bumpsteer. I'm not saying either point is wrong, I am just curious what the difference would be if you got rims with more of an offset? Would you experience the same thing? Isn't it more or less the same thing?

Leo
08-24-2001, 11:05 AM
it's exactly the same thing...

by going either route you wind up with the centerline of the tire spaced out from the centerline of the ball joints...

in relation to durability and handling it's a bad thing.. :)

Leo

ps moved to the chasis forum..

JabberJaw
08-24-2001, 11:32 AM
Don't turn your front wheels around!!!! The front wheels will be going backwards, while the rear wheels are going forwards, and you will run into yourself. :-)

honda4life
08-27-2001, 07:26 AM
LOL:D

08-27-2001, 10:56 AM
Going with a set of mild offset rims will not be as bad as turning your rims around which will really but stress on your spindles..the offset rims I have pushed out the wheels by about an inch,,turning your rims around will put them out about 3 inch I'm guessing,,,don't turn your rims around go with a better setup..:D

Tommy 17
08-27-2001, 07:12 PM
U can't turn ur rims inside out on the 400ex i tried it today just to see and the thing i can't remember whats its called but its the thing that u put the air in the tire hits off ur disc brakes. u need a drum brake on the front to do this such as a blaster it works on.

JabberJaw
08-28-2001, 11:14 AM
Oh Boy! No comment!

krazykurtk
08-30-2001, 09:56 AM
You can turn your front wheels around if you really want to. It requires some work though. Obviously if you've tried to do it to your rims, your valve stem hits your brake caliper.
1. Remove the rubber off the rims. 2. Drill a new valve stem hole on the opposite side, this takes some planning if you ever decide to go back to the stock set-up. 3. Pull the existing valve stem out and install a new one backwards. This means it will be facing inwards and not useable. 4. Put a new valve stem in the new hole you have just drilled. 5. Mount your rubber back on.
Remember this isn't the best way to make your quad wider as mentioned in the previous threads. There are quite a few guys including myself running District 16 motocross events that have done this. I haven't heard of anyone breaking anything yet.

JabberJaw
08-30-2001, 12:07 PM
Why didn't they just make the tires inflatable like a basketball and skip the hole in the rim and the valve stem? Would have been less complicated.

004exkid
08-30-2001, 02:48 PM
If you turn your stock fronts around the disks will be exposed. It maby be ok for mx but i wouldnt ride in the woods with them that way.