PDA

View Full Version : graduation present

Bush0102
04-25-2004, 01:00 PM
ok well my parents are offering me a 4wheeler for graduation..finally...and they say i have up to about 4500 to spend. Ok basically what should i get? Im a decent rider, but not that experienced- i can hold my own on friends 400ex's and cannondales.... Anyway i've narrowed my choices between a raptor, z400/kfx, and the 400ex. A 250r wouldnt be out of the question either.... but assuming they were all stock except the 250, which would you go for and why? and what are some major problems with these quads if they have any? i've heard the raptor has a bad tranny, but im not sure....

thanks alot

2k2-300exnj
04-25-2004, 01:06 PM
01 rapys have a bad tranny, 02 fixed it havent heard problems after that,
250r is awsome my top choice of what u posted,
the Z is nice but not my top choice,
400ex is nice too but dont buy a stocker get a nice modded one and you will be happy...
will u be riding where noise is a problem? if so i would say get something fast in stock form, u can prolly get a yfz for like 48-52 and be very happy and still quiet

Punk'd
04-25-2004, 01:16 PM
If you have some money id add to what your parents are giveing you and go for something a little more race ready.. but if you have to pick out of those go for the 250r.. goodluck man!

ZBlaster
04-25-2004, 01:43 PM
2k2-300exnj hit the nail on the head except for the fact that the one way bearings go out in all year raptors...

brif
04-25-2004, 02:23 PM
you'd have a tuff time finding a used yfz for under $5500.

meangreen400ex
04-25-2004, 02:37 PM
You can get a brand new yfz in chacago for 5500

Rrider4life8
04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
u can buy my R for 4,000 .... race ready!

Bush0102
04-26-2004, 06:59 AM
i think my top choice is the z/kfx...it sounds like no one has any real problems with them...the r would be nice but ive got a friend with one and i dunno...theres just something about it i dont really like. so does anyone know of anything going wrong with a z/kfx?

2k2-300exnj
04-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Bush0102
i think my top choice is the z/kfx...it sounds like no one has any real problems with them...the r would be nice but ive got a friend with one and i dunno...theres just something about it i dont really like. so does anyone know of anything going wrong with a z/kfx?
had axle problems early in development somewhat narrow also

rockwilda1089
04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
get the suzuki, i got an 03' EX and love it but i think if i went back in time id get the z400, havent heard n e problems with it, n a couple people i know that have one never seem to have problems, its just as fast as the EX plus u got reverse, which doesnt hurt if your a trail rider, i know 2 people with a Craptor, one has an 02' i believe and blew 2nd gear and the other has an 04' which had a recall (i forget exactly what it was) and stupid little things seem to brake easy, u wont find a yfz for under 4000, but they're fast, one of the dealers at the cycle shop i go to took off on one and couldn't rev out first gear in the parking lot, n its not a small one. and as far as the kawi, i only know 1 person who has one n he swears its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but thats how everyone feels about their bike, but i havent heard n e thing negative about them either....so its whatever floats ur boat

SGA
04-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Bush0102
First off congrats on the gift. Your parents are nice to do that.
Personally, I like the Z/KFX. Rides good and has reverse for tight places. A modded 400 EX is good too. Both are very close to one another. The raptor had problems, plus its kind of tippy in stock form. The 250r is a great quad, but not for everyone. Some people just dont like the 2 stroke powerband hit, some do.

rockwilda1089
04-26-2004, 09:56 AM
not to mention the spark plug investment you'll be making - lol
but this kid around me has a 250 which is now a 330 completely worked and no matter what you got he'll beat ya, so if you like speed and plan on modifying it, he's had the most success i've seen, but thats just me

04-26-2004, 11:52 AM
most graduation presents are cars or something to help you once you leave the house after you graduate...I dont see how a four wheeler is going to help you directly succeed in life :confused:

2k2-300exnj
04-26-2004, 12:58 PM
i believe he is graduating 8t grade man

2k2-300exnj
04-26-2004, 12:59 PM
and the plug comment is false a well tuned R doesnt go through plugs unless riden wrong

DillonTMNT
04-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
i believe he is graduating 8t grade man

wow....I didnt get anything for graduating high school let alone 8th grade....lucky you!

-Dillon

Tommy 17
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
most graduation presents are cars or something to help you once you leave the house after you graduate...I dont see how a four wheeler is going to help you directly succeed in life :confused:

and how does another one of ur stupid posts help this kid... god ur annoying... kids parents wanna give him something to have some fun on get over it...

but to put my 2 cents into this and stay on topic i'd go and buy a brand new 400ex off the show room... u can find them around 4700$ if u look hard enouf... super reliable and u can ride anything on it...

04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
and how does another one of ur stupid posts help this kid... god ur annoying... kids parents wanna give him something to have some fun on get over it...

but to put my 2 cents into this and stay on topic i'd go and buy a brand new 400ex off the show room... u can find them around 4700$ if u look hard enouf... super reliable and u can ride anything on it... :rolleyes:

hondarider2006
04-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

but to put my 2 cents into this and stay on topic i'd go and buy a brand new 400ex off the show room... u can find them around 4700$ if u look hard enouf... super reliable and u can ride anything on it...

Thats what I would do. And you can find a fairly modded 400ex for around $3,500. That way you could have a little more money to spend on even more mods. Good luck!!:cool:

Bush0102
04-26-2004, 09:11 PM
hahaha thank God im not graduating 8th grade...no but my parents dont have money to buy the car i want for college (a 99-02 ram 2500 cummins diesel so i can pull our mowing trailers) so they figured they;d give me something to keep me happy i guess. I'm going to college in knoxville, and in the snow its impossible to get a car anywhere so i'll have it made zippin around town on a 4wheeler in the snow..haha theres alot of good riding out in east tennessee too. But to set it strait i'm graduating high school and my dad already lets me drive his truck so i dont really need a new one, and a lot of my friends are going to UT with me so getting rides isnt hard...less gas money and no $250 parking fee....but it looks like i'll go with the z or a 400ex with engine mods or a good suspension

xr50layke
04-27-2004, 05:31 PM
good choice, sport quads are good in the snow with the right tires.

MichaelS693
04-27-2004, 06:20 PM
450r:devil: :D

Cly
04-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Bush0102.....With you going off to school I would say to get a 400EX they are the most reliable quad(I think)If you want something to mess around on and not have to sink money into it that is what I would go with....I had a couple Quads that when my buddies called to see if I was up for ridin I would have to go out to the quad made sure it would start and call them back and say yes or no.....I have a 01 400EX now and I love it.It is not the fastest Quad out there but I can do about anything on it.....jump,climb hills,ride wheelies or whatever.....

A guy I work with bought a 03 Z400 and we have put 2 timming chains on it and now it has a bent valve and is in need of another new timming chain.I would stay away from the Z400 with the engine problem and axle problems they have had.

Just my 2cent;)

Cly

Mr.Offroad
04-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
and the plug comment is false a well tuned R doesnt go through plugs unless riden wrong That's o.k., the Raptor comments are false, too. There's bad in everything. I just get tired of arguing. F.Y.I. The recall on the Raptor (All years) was for a possible rear brake master cylinder malfunction. Some people complained that if they went over whoops real fast, it would shake up the brake fluid in it and get air bubbles in the brakes, causing them to fade. Yamaha immediately stepped up to the plate to repair them. Don't sound bad to me. I have a Honda V45 Sabre that has the EXACT problem with the tranny that the '01 Raptor can get if you force the shift. It can bend the 2nd gear shift dog, and it'll break off sometimes, falling down into the tranny and basically exploding it. By being careful not to force the shifter into any gear, my tranny has lasted 20 years with no problem. And my '01 Raptor tranny shifts as nice today as the day I bought it.

2k2-300exnj
04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Offroad
That's o.k., the Raptor comments are false, too. There's bad in everything. I just get tired of arguing. F.Y.I. The recall on the Raptor (All years) was for a possible rear brake master cylinder malfunction. Some people complained that if they went over whoops real fast, it would shake up the brake fluid in it and get air bubbles in the brakes, causing them to fade. Yamaha immediately stepped up to the plate to repair them. Don't sound bad to me. I have a Honda V45 Sabre that has the EXACT problem with the tranny that the '01 Raptor can get if you force the shift. It can bend the 2nd gear shift dog, and it'll break off sometimes, falling down into the tranny and basically exploding it. By being careful not to force the shifter into any gear, my tranny has lasted 20 years with no problem. And my '01 Raptor tranny shifts as nice today as the day I bought it.
im suring babying it into gears works great when racing u cant tell until its too late man my uncles 01 raptor didnt get the problem yet and we ride that real hard its a roll, axis, denton, beast and whoops are non stop at most riding spots wide open , then a lot of places have pits where you are forever changing gears for power so it is a common problem in the 01.... not all will get it right away

killed300ex
04-28-2004, 07:53 PM
just a thought but have u looked into geting a cdale im sure u could find a nice one for under that price. Atk is still making parts for them and its got plenty of power and is almost race ready
killed