PDA

View Full Version : 416 won't start..Help!

Atreyu
04-24-2004, 05:42 PM
I was riding it around and I noticed it was backfiring alot but not loud and it was like real fast bursts and then it acted like it ran out of gas and I think it did couldn't really tell cause it was kinda dark...well then I put more gas in it and it wouldn't start and it hasn't started since then. I think it may be a carb problem or something? Tried sanding the plug and spraying it with starter fluid. My plug was a decent color. Could my main jet be loose? I really have no idea. Any help would be good. Thanks

Atreyu
04-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Anyone...?

KY Woods Rider
04-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Going by the backfiring and feeling like it ran out of gas, it sounds like you might have developed an air leak. Since the intake boot is a known problem area on '99 EXs, I'd take a close look at it. Also, hopefully you've done it already, but make sure the air filter is on securely. It could also be the CDI although it's kinda unlikely, but if everything else checks out okay, try to borrow a CDI from someone and see if it will start and run okay.

Atreyu
04-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Check all of the above except for the CDI. Will check it out, thanks. Any other ideas?

BSTURDIVANT
04-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Shut off fuel and remove jet bowl to see if there's dirt or water.
put a rag or something under bowl to catch fuel while you turn on fuel (to check fuel flow) if flowing good, reinstall bowl plug.
Install new plug- when they foul the are junk!

Atreyu
04-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot...I'll try that tomorrow morning.

UglyMotha™
04-25-2004, 12:07 PM
replace your plug

sanding it will do absolutly nothing and spraying starting fluid on it only worsens your problem since it's more than likely fouled