PDA

View Full Version : wierd noise?

dn1911
04-24-2004, 04:16 PM
i recently installed PRM A-arm skids/full belly skid/air scoops. i just rode it for the fist time since the install and i now have a really wierd noise that seems to be coming from the front of the bike. it sorta sounds like a buzzing or rattling but everything is tight. so has anyone else heard any wierd noises after install of skid plates or should i have honda look into it some more.

thomez
04-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you have an a-arm skid that is doing some rattling... maybe use some rubber washers out of the plumbing section at the hardware store for spacers :macho

Guy400
04-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Skid plates are notorious for buzzing. I always used some self-adhesive foam insulating tape and put pieces of it between the skids and the frame and the buzzing nearly stopped completely.

04-24-2004, 07:18 PM
go ahead & pay honda dealership $75 to put some rubber spacers in between your bolts for your skidplates....money well spent & you know its done right :rolleyes:

the_hulkamaniac
04-24-2004, 08:18 PM
I had a similar buzzing noise on mine. After a while the metal portion of the break pedal becomes loose. It took me forever to find it. I thought there was something wrong with the motor.

KY Woods Rider
04-24-2004, 10:40 PM
It's a common problem to have a skid making strange buzzing and rattling noises. If all the required mounting hardware is tight, the problem can often be traced to a portion of the chassis skid that is a few inches away from the mounting bolts and is in direct contact with the frame. Basically any part of a skid that doesn't have a nearby (within a 2-3") mounting bolt can be the cause, as the skid may have a portion that isn't fitting up tightly and it will vibrate.

Since this buzzing/rattling will usually occur at a certain RPM while sitting still, an easy way to find the problem area is to have someone rev the motor until the buzzing/rattling starts and then you can go around and put your hand on various parts of the skid and firmly push up on it. When you find the right spot, you'll probably feel it buzz against your hand and putting firm upward pressure on it will make the noise stop.

Once you find the problem area, you'll just have to devise a way to dampen the vibration. I've done everything from wedging a piece of rubber between the skid and frame to putting a layer of clear silicone on the skid at all the skid-to-chassis contact points.