PDA

View Full Version : after market carrier really worth it?

ranger400ex1994
04-24-2004, 01:39 PM
well my carrier breaing went out on my ex and now i have to decided if i want to buy a whole new after market carrier or just buy the 2 new bearings? i am probably going to start MX racing so i know everyone will tell me to buy the after market carrier but i might my my buddys lone star swing arm and bearing at the end of the season so would just the 2 bearings hold up for a season? i think they would becasue last year they did.

04-24-2004, 01:51 PM
just get some bearings off ebay for cheap.......mine usually last a year ;) ill buy an aftermarket carrier if my carrier has damage to it but the bearings in aftermarket carriers go out too

shamisc
04-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Aftermarket carriers have either dual row or tapered bearings which last alot longer.

hondafreestyler
04-24-2004, 09:34 PM
/\
YUP

markk
04-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
Aftermarket carriers have either dual row or tapered bearings which last alot longer.

He is right, but if your motocrossing, You might be bettter off with a new carrier that has tapperd bearings!! I bought a rad carrier, with a dual row bearing, but if i could do it over i would buy tapperd. It's probley not worth your time/money buying a new carrier, if yours isn't borken or messed up!!! Getting your bearing out the best way we found out do to it is to.

Take your carrier out, and then get like a Ready heater, and hold your carrier infront of it and just sorta tap it on the ground and the bearings will just fall right out, and if u heat up the carrier and have your new bearrings frozen, they will just slide right in! good luck

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-26-2004, 09:16 AM
I would say if the carrier is fine replace the bearings for now.

hondarider2006
04-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by markk
He is right, but if your motocrossing, You might be bettter off with a new carrier that has tapperd bearings!! I bought a rad carrier, with a dual row bearing, but if i could do it over i would buy tapperd. It's probley not worth your time/money buying a new carrier, if yours isn't borken or messed up!!! Getting your bearing out the best way we found out do to it is to.

Take your carrier out, and then get like a Ready heater, and hold your carrier infront of it and just sorta tap it on the ground and the bearings will just fall right out, and if u heat up the carrier and have your new bearrings frozen, they will just slide right in! good luck

You can also have the oven on and ready to go at like 250 and throw the carrier in that for 5-10 minutes. The old bearings will come out much easier, and have the new bearings in the freezer. It will make it much easier than just beating the hell out of the carrier/bearings to get the bearings out.

250rmike
04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
all depends on what you ride in adn if you beleive you need it. also take the carrier out of the swingarm and check it. when my bearing went out i had to ride my bike back to the truck through rock trails which was real fun. but whn i took my carrier out the bearrings just fell out and a big chunk of the outside of the carrier where u adjust it just kinda fell off. so check it and make sure if you have to get a new carrier just get an aftermarket one