PDA

View Full Version : Pivot bolt help ASAP!!!

slosh13
04-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Well heres our problem. My friend needed to replace his front swingarm bearings, easy enough. Well when he tried to get the swingarm pivot bolt out it was froze. It wouldnt twist, turn, or move at all. So he heard by word of mouth that you should cut it off. After he tried almost everything to get the bolt out he reluctantly cut it into pieces and proceeded to get it free. All but one piece and thats the piece that goes through the rear part of the motor at the cases. Now he is stumped on how he should get it out. Has anyone been in my situation or can anyone lend us a helping hand on what we should do? Thanks.

WKY400EX
04-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Been there. Use a punch and a hammer. Place the pointed end of the punch in the hole of the bolt and tap it out. It won't be easy, but try that and some penetrating oil. Just be patient.:(

Don't forget to lube the new bolt up with marine grease and/or anti-sieze!

cals400ex
04-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Don't forget to lube the new bolt up with marine grease and/or anti-sieze! [/B][/QUOTE]

yes, at least once a year. i haven't done it to mine yet and it is a 01. :eek2:

i imagine i won't be able to get mine off. then again i don't know because i don't ride my bike in mud and water.

zephead400ex
05-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Cal, I was in the same situation you are. I never ride in mud or water. But it was a sob to get the pivot bolt out. It did turn but was very tight. I had to use a punch and a lot of muscle to get it out. But I was comitted getting that friggen' thing out once I started:D

zephead400ex
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
Don't forget to lube the new bolt up with marine grease and/or anti-sieze!

yes, at least once a year. i haven't done it to mine yet and it is a 01. :eek2:

i imagine i won't be able to get mine off. then again i don't know because i don't ride my bike in mud and water. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cal, I was in the same situation you are. I never ride in mud or water. But it was a sob to get the pivot bolt out. It did turn but was very tight. I had to use a punch and a lot of muscle to get it out. But I was comitted getting that friggen' thing out once I started:D

Rescueme
05-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Had the same situation just a month ago. Tried everything, WD40, PB, Sledge. I too, was commited to getting that dern thing outta there. Finally resorted to this:
1. Put quad on side.
2. Rent a 60 LBS. electric jack hammer.
3. Go at it.

This worked for me. Within a minute it started to drive the bolt through. As soon as the pivot bolt is flush with the frame you will need to get another bolt (slightly less in diameter than the pivot bolt), drill a starter hole in the head so you can put the point of the jack hammer in it, and continue to drive it through.If this doesn't work the next step is to do what your friend did and cut it off. The only problem with that is you still have all the pieces that are stuck still in the swing arm. Good luck!