PDA

View Full Version : 300EX shifting into Neutral

stangboy300ex
04-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Hey guys..I just purchased a 2001 very slightly used 300EX. I have always ridden Suzukis.
I have only driven this new Honda a few times and have not learned the shift pattern. Is it 1 down and 4 up?

I also have a difficult time getting the bike in Neutral. It seems to take about 10 tries to get the theing into Neutral. Is there a Trick?
Thanks for any help.
ROB
Ft.Lauderdale

300EX_HMF
04-24-2004, 07:13 AM
i always rock back and forth to get the gears moving a little bit, and i think its easy that way.

SPEED-MDS
04-24-2004, 07:59 AM
The Hondas can be a pain to get into nuetral. I just leave it in first and shut the bike off if Im gonna be parked for a minute. Idleing a hot air cooled motor isnt the best thing for the quad. Rocking back and forth does seem to help find nuetral though.

Cody_300ex
04-24-2004, 08:56 AM
I just hit the kill swicth in what ever gear im in, then when i go to get back pull the clutch and press the little magic button and im gone!

dirtmomma
04-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 300EX_HMF
i always rock back and forth to get the gears moving a little bit, and i think its easy that way.

YEP this is what I do also they can get a little sticky sometimes :rolleyes:

sniffthis400
04-24-2004, 10:27 AM
rocking back and forth always work, thats what i do.

Towlieee
04-24-2004, 10:46 AM
The problem is your tranny gets caught in a certain gear..

usually when you come to stop in 5th gear and try to shift down to first, then into neutral..

What I do is shift tell I think im in first, then let the clutch out just a lil so the atv pops forward a couple inches, then it'l slide right into neutral..

Its the fact that your tranny is stuck and will NOT go into neutral.. you gotta engauge the tranny by letting hte clutch out a lil and pullin it back in..

fastexgirl4c
04-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Towlieee
The problem is your tranny gets caught in a certain gear..

usually when you come to stop in 5th gear and try to shift down to first, then into neutral..

What I do is shift tell I think im in first, then let the clutch out just a lil so the atv pops forward a couple inches, then it'l slide right into neutral..

Its the fact that your tranny is stuck and will NOT go into neutral.. you gotta engauge the tranny by letting hte clutch out a lil and pullin it back in..

well said....
my 300 wont start in gear so i have to put it in neutral everytime... but if its really hard to get to neutral...look and see if ur lock washer for ur shifter slide under the spring...thats wat happend to mine...when it was hard gettin it into neutral

TheFontMaster
04-24-2004, 02:53 PM
It takes a little time to get used to where neutral in on the 300's. Also jus shut it off and it'll click right into neutral.

Syrus
04-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Yes it is 1 down and 4 up, but i cant remember if the 300ex has neutral between 1st and second gear, if it is, then you do a half shift to put it in neutral. Instead of clicking one full gear up, click it half way and see how that works, most motorcycle engines have that, but im not 100% sure the ex does.