PDA

View Full Version : motor problem... need help bad

Tommy 17
04-23-2004, 04:26 PM
ok heres whats happening...

if i was 2 sit on a hill with the quad in 1st gear and pull in the clutch the quad should roll down the hill... mine won't roll the rear wheels are locked... put the quad in neutral it rolls down the hill fine...

when u go to start the motor with the clutch in in 1st gear the quad will jump forward and take off...

hit the rear breaks to stop and the motor shuts off (sometimes other times it will run fine)...

put the quad in 1st gear pull the clutch in and try to push it... it won't move... the rear tires are locked... put it in neutral and push and it moves perfectly fine...

theres no weird noises coming from the motor... nothing wrong that we can see.... any ideas????

i've takin the motor to my motor builder he said there is nothign wrong with the clutches... they look fine... they are brand new white brothers clutches...

any idea what it can be????

Tommy 17
04-23-2004, 04:27 PM
also u can put a wrench on the lever that the clutch cable pulls... move that its full travel forward (should dissengauge the clutch) and try to spin the wheels and it still won't move!!!:(

COOTERGUY
04-23-2004, 04:29 PM
YOU BASKET AND CLUTCH ARE TRASHED. MINE IS THE SAME WAY RIGHT NOW. WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF NO AFTERMARKET PRODUCTS. AT LEAST NONE THAT I CAN FIND.

Tommy 17
04-23-2004, 04:31 PM
theres no grooves in the basket... and the clutch plates have 2 rides on them... they don't slip at all...

4wheelboy
04-23-2004, 04:34 PM
mine dose the same thing clutch is pulled in and ajusted and it still jumps foward wen i start it:confused:

COOTERGUY
04-23-2004, 04:35 PM
DID YOU CHANGE THE SPRINGS WHEN THE NEW CLUTCH WENT IN?? IVE HEARD OF SPRINGS BEING TO LONG TO WORK WITH SOME BASKET PRESSURE PLATE COMBINATIONS AND WONT LET THE CLUTCH DISENGAUGE. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT MINE IS REALLY JUNKED OUT, DEEP GROOVES IN THE BASKET STOP IT FROM FULLY WORKING.

Tommy 17
04-23-2004, 04:37 PM
yes it has aftermarket springs... i'll pull the side cover and change the springs over to my stk just to see if theres a problem with the springs... it'll eliminate a variable...

COOTERGUY
04-23-2004, 04:41 PM
THAT MIGHT JUST SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM THEN. COMPANIES WILL SELL YOU ANYTHING, ITS LATER THAT YOU FIND OUT IT WON'T WORK IN YOUR APPLICATION.

wilkin250r
04-23-2004, 05:21 PM
The problem has to be in your clutch somewhere. Just the "start in 1st gear" test proves that. If you pull in your clutch, but it still leaps foward, then the clutch is not fully disengaged.

I hope I don't need to ask this question, but you tried adjusting the clutch cable, right?

AtvMxRider
04-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The problem has to be in your clutch somewhere. Just the "start in 1st gear" test proves that. If you pull in your clutch, but it still leaps foward, then the clutch is not fully disengaged.

I hope I don't need to ask this question, but you tried adjusting the clutch cable, right?

LOL you beat me too it. Tommy it sounds like the cable is not adjusted right. Have you adjusted it at both ends?

mark26
04-23-2004, 06:22 PM
this is tommy on my friends name...

yes i've tried to adjust the cable every way possible at both spots... super super tight... super super loose... in between with a nickle etc... i've spent a hour today tryin every possible way...

but if u read my 2nd post i tried to say... if u get a cresant wrench and put it on the lever arm (the part the clutch cable pulls) and rotate it to the furthest point forward it should dissengauge the clutch... it can't pull it any further then that... and still NOTHING:(

skidaddyjr
04-23-2004, 09:30 PM
No you mean clutch problem!you say you checked the basket,check also the drive hub the inner part that the clutches ride on for grooving.if both are OK then it is in the engagement rod or pieces that ajoin it.