PDA

View Full Version : Pat Tillman dies

Pappy
04-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Once an Arizona Cardinal, Pat Tillman turned down a multi-million dollar contract renewal to join the Army after sept 11th.

Pat was killed yesterday in a firefight in Afghanistan.

Peace Pat:(

2001400ex
04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
R.I.P.

What a guy.

Doibugu2
04-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Pappy, I saw that name in your thread and that is who I thought of. I didn't think you would know who that was (don't take it the wrong way)

That sucks, he was one of few true americans. I remember just before he went into the service someone did a TV piece on him, it was very moving.

pairanutz
04-23-2004, 12:41 PM
:( -he made the ultamite sacrifice for our safety

honda350r
04-23-2004, 12:45 PM
So did these men !!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/EnlargePhoto.pl?MediaUseId=2001906977&NewsURL=

Sad !!

F-16Guy
04-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Pat Tillman is the kind of man that young people should look up to as a roll model; not only because he fought for the security of the free world, but because he felt strongly enough about his convictions that not even the promise of millions and celebrity status could sway him. RIP.
http://mgard.home.insightbb.com/images/smilies2/patrioticpm.gif

Hammer trx450r
04-23-2004, 01:28 PM
We should start a exriders fund for families of the men that gave there lives for ME AND YOU!!

CowsBitePeople
04-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by pairanutz
:( -he made the ultamite sacrifice for our safety :(

redroost85
04-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Thank you Pat....for giving all....all for us:(

400exmom
04-23-2004, 01:52 PM
:(

JTRtrx250r
04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Once an Arizona Cardinal, Pat Tillman turned down a multi-million dollar contract renewal to join the Army after sept 11th.

Pat was killed yesterday in a firefight in Afghanistan.

Peace Pat:( Thats a true hero...RIP Pat:(

sickmojave
04-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Thats a true hero...RIP Pat:(

RUNMYTA
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
How about some of you get off of your tree huggin *** and join any branch of the military and help the few of us that serve out! Mike:eek2:

Bill Fuller
04-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Pat Tillman is a true American.A real hero.He's not just another soldier who served and is called a hero because he served rather a hero because he gave his life fighting for the spread of democracy and freedom.Turned down millions to eat MREs and sleep on a hard ***** cot live out of a rut sack and bake in the sun for a bunch of ungrateful Iraqies.I'm sure there is a place for him in heaven.Oh and runmyta the only trees I hug are the ones who jump out in front of me while I'm riding.

batgeek
04-23-2004, 05:25 PM
where are all the threads for all the other soldiers that died over there?

they are all heros...none above the next.

wilkin250r
04-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RUNMYTA
How about some of you get off of your tree huggin *** and join any branch of the military and help the few of us that serve out! Mike:eek2:

I'm not sure how serious you are in this post, but I find it rather offensive. I have nothing but the utmost respect for our military and for the causes they support, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on this site that feels that way.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
where are all the threads for all the other soldiers that died over there?

they are all heros...none above the next.

this thread wasnt to discount the servicemen that have died..and those that will die.

Pat Tillman does stand out. he had what most of us would consider a dream life. He had worked hard to build his career and had made it. After september 11th his brother and himself joined the Army Rangers to lend service to thier country. Its not the fact that he died, its the fact that he did what was in his heart.

If he was drafted I wouldnt feel as touched as i do, but seeing that he wasnt an average person to start out with makes his actions that much more signifigant.

I couldnt have told you who he was until I read his story

batgeek
04-23-2004, 05:39 PM
He had worked hard to build his career and had made it.

and what about Joe NoNAme Lawyer, or Joe NoName Doctor...that did the same thing?

they don't stand out?

just because he was a public figure because he played pro sports and made millions of dollars...he is different?

like i said, none above the rest. all are heros of equal measure.

at least to me.

i'm done discussing this.

RUNMYTA
04-23-2004, 05:44 PM
What pisses me off is that over 600 soldiers have died and nobody gives a **** until it is someone that has a name for himself. Dont get me wrong, "EVERY" time I hear that a soldier lost his life I get a tear in my eye including Pat Tillman! It just pisses me off that nobody cares until someone famous dies!! I guess you just have to been there (or going to be there) to understand! Mike:(

Pappy
04-23-2004, 05:46 PM

i'm done discussing this.

no your not:p

i read about our fallen soldiers everyday and I pray for thier families and for the remaining soldiers still in harms way. but i cant make a thread about everyone i read about, this one just sort of stood out.

if you feel that strongly i expect a thread from you daily updating every soldier that dies in this and future conflicts:) you and I both know thats not feasible, no matter how warranted

Pappy
04-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by RUNMYTA
What pisses me off is that over 600 soldiers have died and nobody gives a **** until it is someone that has a name for himself. Dont get me wrong, "EVERY" time I hear that a soldier lost his life I get a tear in my eye including Pat Tillman! It just pisses me off that nobody cares until someone famous dies!! I guess you just have to been there (or going to be there) to understand! Mike:(

like i said, i couldnt have told you who he was for any amount of money. i just thought it stood out.

as far as teling everyone to join the service? i wouldnt wish that on anyone as long as i could go in thier place. and if i was active id be fighting like hell to get back over there not pissing and moaning on a website. alot of kids on this site and around this country are too young to fully understand what it means to serve and its not right to slam them with patriotism or anti- warism. they will have to learn thru expierence and education why its important.

RUNMYTA
04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
as far as teling everyone to join the service? i wouldnt wish that on anyone as long as i could go in thier place. and if i was active id be fighting like hell to get back over there not pissing and moaning on a website. alot of kids on this site and around this country are too young to fully understand what it means to serve and its not right to slam them with patriotism or anti- warism. they will have to learn thru expierence and education why its important

Why would you not wish that on anybody??? So the ones of us that do serve wish they where more like us to help with this heavy load. If you wish you could go in there place...Are you enlisted and have a ticket to Iraq? My orders says " June 14, 2004 what do yours say?

Oh wait, I think I will just tell the Army that I don't want to play there game and sit at home because some people think that patriotism is a bunch of BS!!!!:rolleyes:

batgeek
04-23-2004, 06:13 PM
RUNMYTA,

don't martyr yourself before it happens.

Pappy,

i never have, nor will ever care for sensationalism...not that what you did was wrong in any way. it just bugs me that his story is put up on a pedestal...just another new media "feel good" story.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 06:25 PM
just another new media "feel good" story.

now that i agree with you on. i too find it disheartening that one soldier would recieve undue attention while others go unmentioned in the press.

the whole thing that got me with this story about tillman was the fact he didnt have to do jack squat. it wasnt like he had no other options so he joined the military because he couldnt find good work or get college funds. what i found moving was the fact (and a pretty damn large fact) that after 9/11 he felt strongly enough to give up everything he had to go do his duty. Im sure there are a zillion storys of such sacrifice but when a person of his stature does it ...well...its kind of rare dont you think?

batgeek
04-23-2004, 06:28 PM
no not really...like you said, you didn't know who he was until you read the story.

i think thats how he would have wanted it. he tried to leave the NFL with as little fanfare as possible.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
what i found moving was the fact (and a pretty damn large fact) that after 9/11 he felt strongly enough to give up everything he had to go do his duty.

youll have to forgive me, because i dont look at stars or status. just re read what i quoted from myself. thats my point. i could care less if he was a ditch digger ...feeling would be the same.

batgeek
04-23-2004, 06:34 PM
gotcha :D

JTRtrx250r
04-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I hear /agree w/ what you ALL are saying, Tillman could have stayed home and made bigtime $$..and the fact that he chose to serve his country instead is what stands out to me

runmyta..I also agree w/ what you are saying, and do commend you for it, but it was how it came across in the 1st post that almost made me feel bad for not , but I do understand

EVERY LAST SOLDIER is a loss, a big loss, so I understand that Tillman being put on a pedistal isnt legit while all the others are not, they ALL are put on a pedistal in my book!

I have mixed feelings about the war..or any war that involves the US, it makes me sick to hear about all these young ppl dying in countries that could care less and that is their way, they dont value human life like we do in many ways, I dont really follow politics and alott of that stuff, if we dont go there and take care of business...chit could be the same way here as it is there,bottem line is NOBODY wins war..just the higher-ups who sit behind a desk and call the shots

I shouldnt have even opened my mouth b/c its all a big catch 22 if you ask me..then again, maybe theres alot I just dont understand:rolleyes:

At this point Im just extremely proud of anyone that goes to fight for my freedom.and words cant thank you enough, aside from all the politics..its the familys I have a weak-spot in my heart for:(

exrider360
04-23-2004, 07:07 PM
true american

R.I.P pat

Dunesurfer
04-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Very sad, Another victom of 9/11. Paying the price for all of us. RIP

04-23-2004, 09:36 PM
im joining the services when i graduate highs chool most likely...im hoping air force b/c im in civil air patrol here at our airport

trx440
04-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Rest in Peace Pat Tillman. Thank you for your Service and Sacrifice. I will never forget your story.

God Bless all the Men and Women of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Don't be naive. His story is different. It is a story that will reach a new generation. It is a story of sacrifice on many levels. It is a story of honor, commitment and priorities. Maybe it will change the way alot of Americans think.

batgeek
04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
i highly doubt it.

just look out your door, just watch TV...majority of Americans could care less...too busy trying to make a buck, or mold themselves into what the media is calling "cool" at the moment, etc...

welcome to the 25% rule....where only 25% of us give a chit and the other 75% have a free ride due to our humanity, morality and sense of duty not only to ourselves...but to one another.

tinner
04-24-2004, 04:40 AM
He's a hero and an excellant role model in my book. He could have been home kicking back and collecting fat paychecks, instead he joined the military protect us. Hats off to all the men and women in the Armed forces.

infantry317
04-24-2004, 08:06 AM
I think Mr. Tillman is above not all, but most others as an example. .01% of the American public would give up $3.6 million dollars (his contract) to have your *** handed to you by the Army Rangers and risk death in combat. My prayers for all, but so far this is the biggest story of duty versus greed I have seen.
My .02

tclapp
04-24-2004, 10:11 AM
It takes a truly remarkable person to give up 3.6million, and easy 3.6 mill to go fight for ure country. Its obvious that these ppl are few and far between. He is truly a hero

trx440
04-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Actually Pat Tillman passed on a 5 yr - 9 million dollar contract from the Rams to stay with the Cardinals because they had taken a chance on him coming out of college. Tillman was an undersized linebacker in college and made the switch to Safety. He owns the Cardinal's tackle record in a single season at I believe 208 which AVERAGES 13 a game.

I wonder how many millionaires have ever vlounteered for the service [with the Special Forces as the only option] for the sole purpose to serve in combat?

I wonder if you were to take everybody in America and put them in Pat Tillman's situation just how many would have done what he did? I wouldn't have. I wish I could say I would've. That's why 1 Pat Tillman is worth a million me's.

honda350r
05-29-2004, 10:35 PM
I guess our own troops killed him. frendly fire isn't so friendly!

What a bad deal !

DillonTMNT
05-29-2004, 10:57 PM
http://toothpastefordinner.com/051904/to-the-internet.gif

Ryan
05-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Thats a true hero...RIP Pat:(

Bretmd94
05-30-2004, 02:55 AM
that really sucks... he is a better man than I. I would have joined the coast guard.

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Pat Tillman's death was focused on because of what he was, a celebrity. Lets not forget all of these others on this list who wont be enjoying this Memorial Day Weekend:(
Coalition Casualties (http://lunaville.org/warcasualties/Details.aspx)
I encourage all of you to read thru the entire list and look for people from near you.
God bless them all and their families

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
that really sucks... he is a better man than I. I would have joined the coast guard.

At least you're honest.