PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swing arm bearings

quadgod440ex
04-23-2004, 11:52 AM
how do i get the swingarm bearings out of a 400ex swingarm i got the rebuild kit thing and i need to get the old bearings out please help

skidaddyjr
04-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Man are in for some fun!The only way I've been able to get them out if they pretty shot is to take a tip to the beer store then run all the kids away from the garage.Take a small cold chisel long one if you can find it probably get two and try to cut the bearing case all the way down the side trying not to get into the swingarm to much, you might have to do this in a couple of places then try to pry the pieces out.GOOD LUCK!

Be careful put the new ones in, or you'll be cutting them out again.

sniffthis400
04-26-2004, 06:13 PM
HAve fun with that i did...it sucks

Defiant
04-26-2004, 06:49 PM
One of the best ways i have found to do it on different bikes is to get a 1\2 inch or bigger air gun and put it on the bolt and spin the bolt if it will move most usually does after a few times then when its spinning have a friend hit the other end with a 2 pound hammer or something and tap it out .If the bolt is hollow put a bolt with a shoulder in it and hit it so as it dont mess up the threads .

Quadzilla
04-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Or soak the hell outta it with WD40 for about a week. I sprayed all exposed areas of the swingarm bolt on both sides of the frame and inside the frame where it goes thru the motor EVERY NIGHT for about a week. Guess what????? It came right out after that. No issues!!

kilabeez0
04-26-2004, 07:36 PM
juuuuuuust out of curiosity, how much would a dealership or a small engine shop charge?

Defiant
04-26-2004, 07:44 PM
25 to 50 dollars depending on where your at plus parts and labor if they put it back in .If u take it somewher and have it done make sure that the use antisieze on it before reinstalling it .

kilabeez0
04-26-2004, 08:35 PM
i've replaced bearings on my 3 wheelers but not my 400 yet. on another thread they said u can simply take out the whole carrier, toss it in the oven and after about 10 minutes they'll fall right out!:eek:

quadgod440ex
04-27-2004, 07:17 AM
lol thanks for replying guys but im talking bout getting the bearings out of the swing arm where the pivot bolt is not the pivot bolt .... i already have the swing arm off i need to replace the bearings where the pivot bolt goes lol hehe

skidaddyjr
04-27-2004, 08:02 PM
I was wondering where everyone was going with all that?Are the needles gone yet? If not you might try to heat the end or the swingarm around the bearings on the outside, then try and drive them out ,but those bearing cases are so thin I not had any luck doing that, they are also to brittle and hard to grind out!If nobody comes up with a better idea everybody I know and me do it the way I described above. GOOD LUCK!

Foxrage
04-27-2004, 08:30 PM
if you havent tried putting a socket that fits perfectly down in there and pound it out and that didnt work. heat it up or try to cut them. also if you have a drill press you try pressing them out.

K_Fulk
04-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Foxrage
if you havent tried putting a socket that fits perfectly down in there and pound it out and that didnt work. heat it up or try to cut them. also if you have a drill press you try pressing them out.

The socket trick works for me. Forget what size i use but i take the biggest size the fits in the put an extension on it and then i hammer them till they come out.

Juggalo
04-27-2004, 10:42 PM
i tried every trick under the sun including every one mentioned here so far. none worked. finally had to cut that mofo out of there with a torch. have fun!

quadgod440ex
04-28-2004, 08:57 PM
hehehehehehehe lmfao i tried the socket thing before i read the posts today and i thought i was being really really ghetto doing it but hell it worked alot better then anything i ever tried thats halarious i really didnt think anyone else new about it lol i just thought i was being ghetto thanks alot for all the info guys i got them out and the new ones in everything is working fine . thanks for all responses