PDA

View Full Version : stripped bolts.. bummer

quadgod440ex
04-23-2004, 11:35 AM
ok i need to take my rocker arm and valve cover off .... the only problem is 2 of the bolts are stripped.. NOT the threads the head of the bolt is stripped.. dont ask how someone did that but does anyone have any suggestions? i cant really get any vice grips in there or anything cause there isnt enough room to work with... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated please!! thanks alot

y2k400ex
04-23-2004, 11:51 AM
first try the right size socket in a 6 point if that doesnt work you could try something like this http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/thumbnail/boltgrip_tn.jpg

its a IRWIN Bolt Grip Bolt Remover I have seen then at lowes and home depot.

if it was me i would Grind the head off the bolt as a last resort and then slide the cover off then just get it out with some vice grips:D

quadgod440ex
04-23-2004, 11:53 AM
thanks for responding... do u think that the socket head of wat u shown me is thin enought to get on the head because it is almost right against where the cover is ? and how much do u think it runs ?

wilkin250r
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
If you're having clearance issues, I'd pull the motor out for more room before I would consider grinding the head off the bolt.

I'm not sure which bolts you have that are stripped, but pulling the gas tank might give you a better angle to work with. Try the 6-point wrench, and give it a little tap with the hammer to seat it on the bolt before you try to turn it.

y2k400ex
04-23-2004, 12:11 PM
I think there around $25 a set. I have used some thing like that in the past but not those. I'm a machinist and have fixed many thing like this.

or get out the Dremal tool and grind the head away. You could also center punch the bold and drill the head off.