PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem with Sparks Pipe

Rocket4U
04-23-2004, 10:15 AM
When my bike was stock it would usually start first kick. When I added the HRC kit, it would usually start the second kick, but always by the third. Last night I added a Sparks pipe and air filter. Now it takes 10-15 kicks to start it. Once it does start, it idles great and pulls hard from bottom to top with no bogs or hesitation off the bottom.

I have adjusted the fuel screw from 1.5 to 4 turns out, and it doesn't seem to make much difference so I have left it at 2.5 turns. I called Sparks and they didn't have any ideas except to turn the fuel screw out 4 turns and turn the idle up.

I have noticed that if I let the bike sit for 1.5 hours or so that it will start easily. The more it warms up the harder it is to start. It also seems to start easier when not pushing the hot start button, but you have to kick it a bunch either way so I can't say for sure.

I have the stock pilot, fuel screw out 2.5 turns and HRC needle in the 3rd position (although this shouldn't have anything to do with starting). Anybody have the same problem or have any advice? Thanks

RedRacer44
04-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I have the Sparks exhaust and Sparks filter set up with no airbox lid on my 450. I'm just running a 190 main jet and 2 turns out on the air/fuel mix screw. My quad starts the 1st kick 95% of the time and I kick it sitting down on the seat (having a 250R for 2 years aided in this).

Thats really odd that its doing that. Just thought I'd give ya my jetting specs with the Sparks exhaust.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 10:52 AM
my guess would be the stock pilot jet.

chad502ex
04-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I have a CS full with HRC lid/needle and CS cam. I switched out the HRC cam to CS and the jetting was the same.

3 turns out
50 slow
195 main.

Your problem should be your low end. As your motor warms from cold to hot, your motor goes more leaner with increased temperature. With the stock slow #48 jet, your header should start to glow after 3 minutes of idle. If the header is going, your way to lean. The more you turn your screw out the leaner the motor will become.

Hope this helps.

Chad502ex.com

chad502ex
04-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Oh, forgot,..... change your slow #48 to #50.

chad

Rocket4U
04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks. I'll try the #50 pilot. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to get some other opions.

twisted threads
04-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
my guess would be the stock pilot jet.

Thats what I was going to say. try a 50 piliot jet and see what happens.:cool:

WOracing
04-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Chad502ex i have this problem with my ex. Now you are talking about the 450r right???? But could you tell me how to fix the problem on the 400ex. It will sputter and backfire and even sometimes quit completely. When it is running the header gets red hot. Any suggestions? We put in a 152 main jet and the pilot is stock....so i was wondering if i should change the pilot? What is the stock pilot jet?

Thanks.....

Give me an IM if you guys wanna talk about riding:D
WOracing19 <---------screen name

lukester720
04-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
Chad502ex i have this problem with my ex. Now you are talking about the 450r right???? But could you tell me how to fix the problem on the 400ex. It will sputter and backfire and even sometimes quit completely. When it is running the header gets red hot. Any suggestions? We put in a 152 main jet and the pilot is stock....so i was wondering if i should change the pilot? What is the stock pilot jet?

Thanks.....

Give me an IM if you guys wanna talk about riding:D
WOracing19 <---------screen name

I believe #38 is stock, a lot of people that I've talked to run a 42 and they say it starts a lot easier.

WOracing
04-23-2004, 03:39 PM
thanks alot lukestar720......

chad502ex
04-24-2004, 12:04 PM
WO, a glowing header at idle is a good sign that you need more fuel on idle. get a bigger slow jet.

my "Charb Chart" in my "Tech Talk" section in my website, helps ppl dial their motors in and illustrates the carbs x-over points.

hope this helps.

Chad502ex.com

WOracing
04-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes chad that does help....also i called our local dealer and he said to check the spark plug to see if it is running rich or lean...and to see if something is blocking the jets. So i will keep you guys posted to see what happens.