PDA

View Full Version : Im on to something new

Pappy
04-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Well, all this traveling around and taking pictures to add to our race coverage got me a thinking....and when that happens usually money gets spent:p

Everyone knows im a photographer, I just havent pressed my skills into making me some pocket change in a few years. Well seeing the pictures at some of these races really got my goat....not too mention some of the prices they are asking.

So what to do about this problem? I went and bought a 24 foot enclosed trailer, I am ordering a laptop so that I can burn cd's at the event for riders, families and the track event promoters. I will have to also get 2 more camera bodies and a few things needed to have back up equipment etc but I have most everything I need.

So not only will this boost recognition for the site ( I also ordered a canopy with exriders.com printed on it) I will be working on a few calendars for next year, along with a new line of T-shirts featuring some of the top riders. Posters and autograph cards will be added as soon as I can lock down a quality company to produce them.

So watch out for me at an event near you!!

04-23-2004, 06:56 AM
sweet! great idea kenny!

cdalejef
04-23-2004, 07:08 AM
Thats awesome Kenny!!! Can I borrow your trailer?

YLW400
04-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Thats awesome man..........You know that only thing I don't like about those guys is, they NEVER move....They typically stay in the same spot!!

Pappy
04-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
Thats awesome man..........You know that only thing I don't like about those guys is, they NEVER move....They typically stay in the same spot!!

well I know quads and off road riding, I also know what it takes to make a slow rider look like he is blazing fast. (that helps by the way:p )

Static shots are boring and most riders have a box full of pics like that.

Most commercial photogs are going to try and capture every rider so staying in one spot gets them more pictures and lessens the chance they missed someone. My moto is if you arent doing jack chit im not wasting my time to take your picture!!! Ive looked thru some of the other photogs pics and they will have 40 pictures of riders just riding over a jump. do you honestly think that rider will buy a picture that shows (for whatever reason) him not hitting a jump?

Im sure Ill do good, as long as there are good riders or jackasses to provide the action ill capture it
:devil: :devil:

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:01 AM
And I dont plan on printing pictures trackside. I plan on burning a cd right there. The rider can do whatever he wants after that...print pics, email them or just save them for memories. If i can get 2 to 6 pics of 1 rider and sell him the cd for say $20 then thats light years ahead of buying 1 picture for $40

cdalejef
04-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Great idea Pappy, that way the buyer can make any size and as many prints as they like at home with a just a decent color printer.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:10 AM
well early in the season at a race i saw a photog that offered this same deal, but you had to wait for him to ship them out.

secondly, i sent rico a cd of pics a month or so ago and he was flat out impressed at the full rez pics. he merely went to his local walgreens and with teh cd printed out several 8 x 10 enlargements that were as good of quality as he has ever bought from a race.

im also trying to work out where you will walk up to the trailer and i will have a slide show going on of the event and past events on a monitor or screen.

ranger400ex
04-23-2004, 08:13 AM
What out for the raceday buddy...he made a bold statement too me last race... "Too many punks running around here, thinking they are gonna be the next big thing @ the GNCCs. Most of em I never see back"

I think you got skills to put him too that test....and the CD idea is tops. Good luck bud, and plan on a CD too me every race...guess I gotta start "tricking" more and giving some action...lol

YLW400
04-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Hey Pappy!!! I've got a great idea!!! Start this weekend at Tomahawk, and I'll but one :D

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:20 AM
actually i wont be attending alot of the gncc's ...just my usual one's. there are too many people doing those events as is. But ive seen thier stuff and i watch the feedback and if i wanted to wouldnt think twice about going full bore at the national's.

and he is correct, alot of people show up once, take good shots but dont either market them correctly or dont stay with the cicuit so the feel they cant make money from this.

Im not as much looking to be the next big thing, i never have tried to be the head honcho, but if you bode me i will come down on you like a ton of bricks. too many people have made it (or think they have) and then they start spouting off about "punks" lol. usually its flat out jealousy. business logic dictates that you give the customer what they want or they wont be back.

and i have way more things to add to my pictures, some of which havent been applied to our sport yet;)

remeber this...if they are big and you are small, they are slow and you are mobile. exploit thier weaknesses:macho :devil:

ranger400ex
04-23-2004, 08:20 AM
PS

You gonna be @ Sparta next weekend pappy?

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Hey Pappy!!! I've got a great idea!!! Start this weekend at Tomahawk, and I'll but one :D

the owner of that facility has already given me full access to any event they have in exchange for the track getting to use the pictures for publicity and on thier webpage. im all for that!

and i will be at tomahawk sunday shooting!

YLW400
04-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Chad's a cool guy...I went to School with him....

Awesome man!!! By the way, my wife greatly appreciated the offer for the kennel, but dum dum would keep you up all night with barking, he's never slept outside before:rolleyes: But again, thanks for the offer!

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
PS

You gonna be @ Sparta next weekend pappy?

no i will be at the virginia beach mx race covering for harlen and getting coverage for exriders and dirt wheels

seatec
04-23-2004, 08:28 AM
awesome pappy. wish you wouldve started that last sunday. lol
YOu could include small vids of the respective race starts if you wanted to. Just plant you camera on a tripod and hit the record button while you are using your camera to snap away. then upload the vid clips inot your laptop and create a wmv file and burn it right onto the cd. no biggy.

I think the start are exciting enough to have on cd in full motion.

Oh yea, since you are not going to have a cd full of pic i suggest you buy the small (3") cd's. they work just as well and all cd and dvd trays accomodate them.

I also would suggest that you give people the option of selecting standard cd or DVD format.

make sure you get the combo cd-rw and dvd-rw drive in your laptop and dont buy the celeron proecessor) dont know how savvy you are with computer hardware so don't take offense if you know all about it. better get a few extra batteries if your not going to run a generator.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:33 AM
future plans are to actually rent out 2 or 3 of the "helmet cams" so that a rider can make his own dvd or video. for say $30 or whatever you would be outfitted with a helmet cam and recorder.

my wife will be handling cd sales at the trailer and if i can get more help i could do more with video, but im not the most knowledgable about transfering /uploading and all that when it comes to video. but i will be hitting the books to learn !!

seatec
04-23-2004, 08:38 AM
you know what would also be awesome. a chase bike. SOmebody whos real good on a bike in xc conditions outfitted with a helmet cam. The bike can easily get out of the way when traffic comes up. dont they do that at the gncc's?

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:40 AM
this is why i posted this here:D

seatec...i have been using standard cd-rw cd's and so far everyone has said nothing but good things about them. i can see where the 3 inch ones would work, but what about price? any cheaper?

and the dvd recordable ones can be played back on a computer or on a dvd player correct? that would be kickazz to see the pics on a 54 inch flatscreen:macho

Pappy
04-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by seatec
you know what would also be awesome. a chase bike. SOmebody whos real good on a bike in xc conditions outfitted with a helmet cam. The bike can easily get out of the way when traffic comes up. dont they do that at the gncc's?

that would be cool, but with the local races being directed by different people it maybe hard to get that done. secondly, if i tried to ride a bike you would get a hell of a wreck and the ambulance crew carting my broken *** off the track and nothing else:p

seatec
04-23-2004, 08:44 AM
yes, the price is cheaper. buy them from ebay. NOT FROM BEST BUY. biggest rip off ever.

THe DVD's can play on almost any dvd. They dont play on a normal cd drive though. I'd give them a choice.
I just paid 50 bux for 25 3" dvd-r on ebay. SO your cost is 2 bux a pop. not to shabby.

seatec
04-23-2004, 08:45 AM
ehh, i wasnt referring to you when i said that somebody "who is good on a bike in an XC setting" should cover the race. lol

J/K. somebody might jump at the opportunity to run his/her bike during the race.

mmills023
04-23-2004, 08:50 AM
I can actually get the media for fairly cheap. And as far as the video editing that is not that hard either....I also have a few remote cameras, that could be used for chase, or helmet cams!!!!

Mike

mmills023
04-23-2004, 08:50 AM
As far as the chase thing, didnt i read somewhere that RP wont let chase bikes on the course??

mike

seatec
04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by mmills023
As far as the chase thing, didnt i read somewhere that RP wont let chase bikes on the course??

mike

Really? dang. they sure like controlling things dont they!?

There is some pretty good software out there that can mix in stills and vid and make a nice DVD that is menu driven and can play on %99.9 of all DVD players. (who doesnt have a DVD player these days?)

04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
I think a 24' trailer is too small. I think you need a 28" trailer with living quarters!!!!!!!!(hint hint)

seatec
04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
YEah, one of those 33' Fleetwood gearboxes. thats the ticket.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 09:01 AM
the 24 footer should do me fine....for now.

i will have to play with the dvd stuff. time for burning it and uploading is the hard part. at home you can move on to other things while its happening but you cant at a race especially when the laptop is slower.

harlen is trying to figure out what laptop is going to be my best ...id rather have a full size pc but i dont think it would take the travel:confused:

seatec
04-23-2004, 09:08 AM
PC have auto "parcking" hard drives these days. they travel pretty good. get a case with foam and put them in there. you can get a pc with twice the oomph then a latop for the same money. YOu would need a 110 powersource though or a couple of big ups.
A nice 5500 onan gold generator would be nice.
If you go with the laptop make sure you get plenty of pre-charged batteries because burning cd's or dvd's takes a toll on the batteries big time.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 09:10 AM
the trailer is fully wired with 110 so im good there. and packaging the pc woulnt be too difficult i dont think.

i will be buying a generator it seems.

04-23-2004, 09:11 AM
the 24 footer should do me fine....for now.
Yeah but a 28" vintage trailer fully insulated with air and heat bathroom beds. sounds much better.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Yeah but a 28" vintage trailer fully insulated with air and heat bathroom beds. sounds much better.

hey if your buying then ill consider it

seatec
04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
trust me. when you are going to do dvd's and cd and vid editing you want a full size with a nice 17" flat screen high res monitor and a heavy duty video card and 1gb of ram. Also get a nice 7200 rpm hard drive. with plenty of space. when you have some cash left over buy an iomega external 80 GB or so hard drive for back ups. you don't want to go out there and loose all your stuff.
best thing is once you have your computer installed and configured exactly like you want it to ghost your hard drive and have an exact duplicate on hand. Also, try not to get Windows 2002 XP Pro because its seems that a lot of editing software has a bit of a problem with it. your best bet is windows 2000 but not the pro version. Good luck. as i think of more stuff ill let you know. Head spinning yet?

Pappy
04-23-2004, 09:23 AM
im just scared the pc will take a beating..not too mention the heat and dust. a laptop is more suited to this i beleive.

if all i can do is print and burn cd's i think it will work out ok.

04-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Nope I am selling!!!

seatec
04-23-2004, 09:29 AM
True, laptop are a bit more rugged but so damn expensive if you want a good one!

I am actually going out this saturday and start shopping for a toy box trailer. have my eye on a Fleetwood gearbox. those a very nice.

YLW400
04-23-2004, 09:29 AM
If I jump like a little girl, will you still take pictures of me?:confused:

Pappy
04-23-2004, 09:30 AM

thats where photoshop will come into play:devil: :blah:

seatec
04-23-2004, 09:31 AM

hehe. good thing is that its digital. He can touch it up and make you look like taking huge AIR!!!! lol

Pappy
04-23-2004, 09:34 AM
actually on some jumps its easy to make the quad appear like its a jet! you just gotta get atleast 2 feet off the ground :D

just dont roost me....i tend to get where a rider can hammer me if they want too:macho

YLW400
04-23-2004, 10:10 AM
AHhhhhh, photoshop....lol I would never roost you.......on purpose :devil:

mmills023
04-23-2004, 10:56 AM
as far as transport....it wouldnt be very hard...the dust and other things really are not that bad either, they make some pretty good (inexpensive) protective cases that you drop your comptuer in. (ala military style).

The DVD burners are a little slower, but you could offer that 1 race in the rears, and if the service took off there are duplication systems that dont require a computer that are really not that expensive, then all you have to do is drop a bunch of blanks in it and hit the GO button!!!!!!......

Mike

seatec
04-23-2004, 11:31 AM
yeah, forgot about the duplicators. they are pretty fast too i think.

Pappy
04-23-2004, 11:33 AM
well to start out it will be the usual way of doing things until i can get the pc/laptop here and in working order.

i will be adding all the ftp stuff so that you can look at all the pictures just like when we do a national race in the gallery section. (dont ask what i have to do for harlen letting me do that:devil: :( ) i geuss painting my truck and trailer red and black and a 20 foot exriders.com logo down the side aint so bad:p

mmills023
04-23-2004, 11:38 AM
They would see ya comming!!!

If you need any help let me know...I can even get you some massive FTP space if you need it!!

Mike

mmills023
04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I have used these cases in the past...there is a USA reseller but cant find the name right now...

http://www.industrial-computer-enclosure.co.uk/computer-enclosures/Computer_Enclosures.htm

redroost85
04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Awesome idea Pappy! All this new stuff is gonna rock!:devil:

EXriders is fricking everywhere baby!:bandit:

400ex#18
04-23-2004, 04:55 PM
sounds very very cool, I hope you make it to some of the NEATV races! I would love to pic a cd up!

Berry
04-23-2004, 05:40 PM
hey pappy thats an awesome idea! im sure you will do good!!

so what are you going to call it????

400exdad
04-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Well, I'm beginning to see why you have so many toys Pappy... You aren't afraid to get out there and try something new! :D I'm glad for ya! Are you sure you aren't kin to Eli Whitney or something? :) I wish I had the guts to do that!

Pappy
04-23-2004, 06:19 PM
ive always not been afraid to try new stuff. i usually spend sometime learning or may just jump into it. as long as i can make back my initial expenses im golden.

what do they call them guys.. reinasaunce men or something:p

you have fun when working in a field you enjoy:p

i get a kick out small details...like waiting for this rider to lock the rear tires up yet still show the forward motion of the front tires. maybe im too technical:devil:

CTmxyfz
04-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Better be at Southwick National. Hey, you using all that 24feet? I need a ride to the national. Mind giving me one???

Ps. I think it is a really cool thing you are doing man, keep it up being one of the nicest guys i know.

SGA
04-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
secondly, i sent rico a cd of pics a month or so ago and he was flat out impressed at the full rez pics. he merely went to his local walgreens and with teh cd printed out several 8 x 10 enlargements that were as good of quality as he has ever bought from a race.

He was telling me about those pics. He said you could see the bits of grass and tiny rocks flying up and everything. He was definatly impressed.
I told him its because Kenny knows his stuff around a camera. Good luck with it!:)

EX_MONKEY
08-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey Pappy, What Kind of DigiCam are you using? I am looking for a new one and your pictures turn out awesome. I am trying to get ideas on what I want.

Pappy
08-03-2004, 05:28 PM
right now i use a Nikon D100 digital SLR

250exen
08-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by seatec
awesome pappy. wish you wouldve started that last sunday. lol
YOu could include small vids of the respective race starts if you wanted to. Just plant you camera on a tripod and hit the record button while you are using your camera to snap away. then upload the vid clips inot your laptop and create a wmv file and burn it right onto the cd. no biggy.

I think the start are exciting enough to have on cd in full motion.

Oh yea, since you are not going to have a cd full of pic i suggest you buy the small (3") cd's. they work just as well and all cd and dvd trays accomodate them.

I also would suggest that you give people the option of selecting standard cd or DVD format.

pappy, if you do this, make sure you burn it to a dvd! the quality of video on a cd sucks!

Pappy
08-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 250exen
pappy, if you do this, make sure you burn it to a dvd! the quality of video on a cd sucks!

my damn dvd burner stopped workin and harlen has been to busy to come over and check it out:grr:

i did throw a cd on the TV at wisp and the pics look great as long as they are the full size/full resolution pictures. im still thinking a flat screen will be the way to go

nhs333x2
08-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I'f your using a laptop then you should get an external burner as well. It won't just serve as a backup but you could also do two projects at a time. Plus for photography you don't need the fastest computer in the game just somthing that will get the job done. You won't have to go over 1300 Mhz for it and 256 Mb should be plenty of memory.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Pappy do you and Harlen have the same camera ?

Pappy
08-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Pappy do you and Harlen have the same camera ?

no he uses a Canon but i dont remeber the model. It does really good also but it lacks some of the features i feel are a must have, for me anyway:p