PDA

View Full Version : Does the 400EX still have a future in GNCC?

Bender
04-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Just wondering with all the hype about the new 450's.I know rider skill has alot to do with it. But just wondering if a 400ex can be sort of competitive and still reliable at GNCC. I just started to get interested in racing and bought my 03 400ex late in the season before the 450r was out (doh). Am i wasting my modding it? I was all set on going the 416 route, but now i'm having doubts about it.

400exdad
04-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Of course it does! :) The 400 is a reliable, bulletproof machine! While it may not be the fastest thing out there and you may get smoked in the open areas .... not if you mod it .... You'll do fine on it.

david kelsch
04-23-2004, 07:06 AM
I have wanted to know how the cost of parts like a lower arm compare between the 400ex and the R.

I have owned a lot of different brands and replaced lots 'o' parts. I currently run a 400ex because of the incredibley low maintenance cost. Raptor lower a-arm 135, YFZ450 lower a-arm 155, You can buy 400ex stock a-arms all day long for 75 or under. Check the prices out in general its amazing.

A good rider can really fly on a 400ex. With simple mods it can be competative. Add in the cost factor to purchase and maintenance verses other machines and I say its very competative. Youll still be runnin for less and in the top of the points and they will be broke and broke down.

bradley300
04-23-2004, 10:04 AM
i would say from the b class down, you would have no problem winning no matter what machine your on as long as you have the skill. in the a and pro classes, the talent pool is much closer, so the little things like the bad rear end geomtry, low horsepower (even when modded, the generaly put up less power than other quads with the same mods) come more into effect. its still posible to win the fast classes on a 400ex (just ask brian cook) but its easier on a few other machines.

david, i would assume 450r parts would not be much dufferent than 400ex parts b/c most oif the parts are made in the U.S.A. (correct me if i'm wrong)

the reason 250r and 300ex parts are so expensive is almost al of thier parts are still made in Japan. its nearly 250 bucks for ONE lower a-arms for my 300ex, stock plastic is more than 500bucks for a 250r, and a stock 300ex frame is 1300 and some change, isnt a 400ex frame lik 600 bucks?

KY Woods Rider
04-23-2004, 08:09 PM
For C class and lower, yes the 400EX still has a future, and I also expect EXs to hang in there pretty good at small local Hare Scrambles and MX. You could start dumping money into the EX and do fine in the higher classes, but then the question becomes why.

One of the 400EX's best traits is that it's easy for anyone to ride well. It's so smooth and effortless to ride that even a relatively inexperienced rider can get on it and feel comfortable enough to run it pretty hard. That alone is going to keep them competitive in the beginner classes of all types of racing for quite a while.

Since you said that you just started to get interested in racing, I assume that you're going to be riding one of the lower level classes. In that type of scenerio, the 400EX can do fine, because even if the other guys have a 450R or YFZ, many of them aren't going to be capable of holding it open and running it to its full potential. Remember what I mentioned above about the EX being easy to ride well. Even though the EX really isn't all that fast, if you're comfortable enough to stay on the gas and push it hard, you're still gonna beat someone on a 450R or YFZ that's afraid to run it hard.

KY Woods Rider
04-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
isnt a 400ex frame lik 600 bucks?

It's been a while since I checked, but they used to be around $430-something from Service Honda.

86atc250r
04-23-2004, 08:21 PM
If you're buying 400EX lowers for $75, you're paying too much - you can get them for $35 from Servicehonda.

That said, 450R arms are higher - although still about half what a YFZ costs.

Many other parts on the 450R are even cheaper than 400EX parts, some are more costly - however, most everything is still significantly less expensive than a YFZ.

Personally, I'm still running my built 400EX for woods - even though I also have a 450R. Later this year I may replace my 400EX with another 450R, but in the woods the 400EX isn't at a big disadvantage like it is on a MX track.

416exrider
04-24-2004, 12:40 AM
I think that the 400ex would be great all the way threw b-class in GNCC, But if you look at the lap times that Brandon Sommers ran on his 400ex at Lorreta Lynns, and you look at the lap times of some of the guys in stock class they are really really close. Its mostly about the rider. If your just getting started a 400ex is probley your best bet. Parts are cheaper, and really really easy to find.
I also hope they are still competative, because im planing on sticking alot more money into mine!!!!

400EXracer74
04-25-2004, 11:52 AM
i have had my mostly stock 400 ex for about a little over a year and i just started racing this season i have had 3 races and i have beat YFZ and 250r that are fully modified. so basically if you have a decently modified 400ex and are a good rider you will be able to beat anyone that you have a better ability than

xrracer36
04-29-2004, 08:53 AM
i started on quad racing on a mojave last year (MX and HS)
i have done both before on bikes, decided to give it a try with some "training wheels" as most bike guys refer to us.

anyways, i did alright on the mojave, but it's low HP and dated geometry kinda held me back. my best ride on that came in a harescramble (HS), 6th out of 31. beat banshees, 250r's, raptors, 400ex's, and a couple of the new (then at least) yfz450's.

usually could hang mid-pack in mx on it.

both of those i race in C class.

got hurt on my bike and sold the mojave last season while recovering, and re-invested in a 00 400ex.
LOVE IT!!!
i have trophied in 4 out the 8 races thusfar this season, with 2 HS trophies, and 2 FIRST PLACE Mx toprhies. (again, both types of racing against all types of machines, including, and BEATING new 450's)

at that level, i believe it's like 95% rider.
heck, i got 1rst last mx, but the one before it, some kid on a decked-out modded blaster came out and handed our butts to all of us other C riders (on 400ex's, yfz450's, and z400's)

just do it for the fun of it, and you're results will show much more than if you threw all the money in the world at your quad to hop it up or bought a more expensive one to begin with.:eek:
(and i know some guys on here will argue that one, cuz to some people, they think "success is determined by how much $$$ you invest in your quad to make it faster than the other guys:devil:'", but then when i go out and beat them on my practically stock 400ex, they can't figure it out. it's just a matter of how much you turn the throttle, and how good of line choices you make)
:blah:
racer36 :D

04-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Greg Trew the #6 Pro rider this year earned that #6 on a 400ex.

:muscle:

Ryan
04-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Good thread!

Wondering if I should go for a c-dale or 400ex :confused: .

The 400ex seems like a great quad for someone like me (Shallow Pockets) :o .

Hmmmmmmmm........

HiZ
04-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Go 400 the reliable ole' air hammer!

86atc250r
04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
400ex vs c-dale.

I've owned both -- actually two 400ex's and two cannondales.

You should buy the 400EX. They're inexpensive to buy used, cheap to maintain, are very reliable, handle well, and are very competitive in woods racing and to a certain extent, MX.

A cannondale is faster, handles halfway decent, but is a maintenance nightmare. Parts are not too bad to find currently, but that situation will slowly change as time goes on.

Some of the more common maintenance on a Cannondale includes many things you typically don't have to mess with on other quads - plus you have to deal with fixing or babysitting various engineering problems that will surface.

I'd only suggest a Cannondale if you're wanting a fast quad that has a low up front cost, but you don't mind pouring some significant time and coin into over the long haul. It's not a matter if you're going to have problems with it --- it's when.

I got lucky - mine self-disassembled shortly after selling it. Our other one has been fairly problem free, but it doesn't see much ride time. So far we've done several updates on it & have only had to replace one cracked lower rail--- however, every time we take it out we wonder, when's the big one gonna hit....

04-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Talking with Laz from GT thunder at the last GNCC race I think he said his sons 400ex, now a 450 stroker puts out as much or more HP than a piped and properly jetted YFZ450...:eek: Sounds like he's got more ponies than most pro's...:o

spincr4hire
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Talking with Laz from GT thunder at the last GNCC race I think he said his sons 400ex, now a 450 stroker puts out as much or more HP than a piped and properly jetted YFZ450...:eek: Sounds like he's got more ponies than most pro's...:o

Brandon can ride the sheet out of it, too.

markk
04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Greg Trew the #6 Pro rider this year earned that #6 on a 400ex.

:muscle:

Todd Knippenburg also on his old white 400ex!! also (spelling)

RUTHLESS
04-30-2004, 01:27 PM
I BELEIVE ITS UP TO YOU
YOU WON'T BE ANY SLOWER ON A 450R
BUT YOU MIGHT NOT BE ANY FASTER
I'VE FOUND THE 400EX IS LIKE THE HONDA CIVIC
THERE ARE THOSANDS OUT THERE AND PARTS ARE CHEAP
AND PLENTIFUL, ASIDE FROM THE OLD SCHOOL AIR COOLED
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY, YOU CAN STILL GO FAST ON THEM.
I WOULD FACTOR THE TOTAL COST OF A 416 OR 440 KIT AND
ADD THAT TO THE VALUE OF YOU 400EX AND SEE IF THE TOTAL
IS CLOSE IN PRICE TO A NEW OR USED 45OR
JUST MY 2 CENTS