PDA

View Full Version : best way to break in a 2 stroke

250rider
04-22-2004, 07:52 PM
i need to know bc my cuz just put new piston and rings in his bike and how should he ride it, hard or take it easy on it?? ne body this would really help, thankss

400exdad
04-22-2004, 07:59 PM
First, I would make sure it was jetted rich to keep it cool. Next take it easy on it until it gets thoroughly warmed up. Shut it off and let it cool completely. Do this a couple of times, each time working it a little harder, but not full throttle or too many RPM. After about the third heat and cool down, ride it with a little respect varying the RPM... not hard on a 2 stroke... Finally, jet it right and ride it like normal. Racers don't do all this, but they don't have the time and expect to replace parts.

IMHO

hondafox440
04-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Warm it up untill the engine (not pipe) is hot to the touch (not hot enough to burn you, but uncomfortable to keep your hand on).

Let it cool completely.

Warm it up again, and ride around at under 1/4 throttle on low intensity terrain (flat pavement works best) for about 10 minutes.

Let it cool completely.

Warm it up again, and ride it at under 1/2 throttle for like 10 minutes.

Let it cool completely.

Warm it up, and ride it at about 3/4 throttle for like 5 minutes. Then do a few full throttle runs to properly seat the rings.

This is mainly for a forged piston. If you have a cast piston, just do steps 1, 3, and 4, and do it for 5 minutes or so instead of 10.

660RaptorRider
04-22-2004, 08:53 PM
i saw warm it up and make sure nothing is wrong then do cycles of up to 75% throttle. u need to set those rings in there good.

AtvMxRider
04-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Warm it up untill the engine (not pipe) is hot to the touch (not hot enough to burn you, but uncomfortable to keep your hand on).

Let it cool completely.

Warm it up again, and ride around at under 1/4 throttle on low intensity terrain (flat pavement works best) for about 10 minutes.

Let it cool completely.

Warm it up again, and ride it at under 1/2 throttle for like 10 minutes.

Let it cool completely.

Warm it up, and ride it at about 3/4 throttle for like 5 minutes. Then do a few full throttle runs to properly seat the rings.

This is mainly for a forged piston. If you have a cast piston, just do steps 1, 3, and 4, and do it for 5 minutes or so instead of 10.

Yep thats I have done everyone I have built.

660RaptorRider
04-23-2004, 05:46 PM
and just tell me agian how many quad engines u built jerry? :blah:

AtvMxRider
04-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 660RaptorRider
and just tell me agian how many quad engines u built jerry? :blah:

Hey weren't you banned?................:devil:

skemp
04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Start it, let it run for a minute, and have at her. The word break-in means nothing to me other than a bike's maiden voyage. You have a small window of oppurunity to seat the rings, might as well take it while it's there.

660RaptorRider
04-23-2004, 08:56 PM
hey finally someone knows what they are talkin about. And no i havent been banned what would make u think that jer bear?:blah: