PDA

View Full Version : Trail TIPS

Jekyl_22
03-16-2002, 12:21 PM
Does anybody have any secret tips or strategies for woods riding? Or for hillclimbing? Also, what is the best (good & cheap) improvement you have made on you four wheeler for the trails?

Striker49
03-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Tips.....i guess you could say not to give it all you got b/c youll make a mistake some how. Stay come and cool and dont go faster than neccisary(sp).
One of the best things that I think you could do to improve your quad for woods ridin would be tires. Ive got Razrs on mine and they have more traction and better handling than my stockers.
Just my opinion. :cool:

Tommy 17
03-16-2002, 02:41 PM
for hillz the only thing i can tell u is to hit them with enouf speed that u can leave off half way up the hill and coast to the top thats what i do and i have yet to roll down one on my 400 and i climb pretty big hillz...

Live2Ride300
03-16-2002, 08:11 PM
ya, always hit the bottom of a hill full throttle and with tons of momentum so u dont get stuck at the top, sometimes theres a lip at the top and u either want to go over that using ur momentum or gas it over it and get air at the top, just be careful because if u dont have enough moment and u try to get air at the top u may end up catching too much traction and flipping over backwards, i came close to this once, man it scared the **** outta me

Moto92
03-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Dont hit trees....they hurt :blah

03-17-2002, 10:12 AM
lol

Lil90man!!
03-17-2002, 03:18 PM
Yea man trees hurt!! but like everyone says for hills get your momentum goin and keep on it! and on tight trails focus on gett'n really close to a tree on one side cuz if you just try n go in the middle, your bound to hit a tree!

Chino
03-19-2002, 11:54 AM
nice pic lil90man looks like a pretty steep hill and that ur front tires are starting to come up off the ground? what gear do u hit that hill in and what gear do u stay in? and gd'luck climbing

trx400ex
03-19-2002, 04:44 PM
that looks like a nice hill to hit in 4th gear on a 400 and get a little air at the top:D

400exdad
03-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Never ride above your head and only ride "what" you are comfortable with. If your buddies call you scared or whatever, who cares? Ride within your limits and ride at your own pace. Sure its fun to get pushed by others.... its one of the ways you learn and of course, you get the ole adrenaline pumping. Pretty much a natural high. But know when to stop. When you get tired, you'll make mistakes. On New Years Eve of 2001, we were on a fun ride. I was pushed or pressed to try going up this hill a second time, only this time with bent bars, I crashed (again), only this time I fractured my tibia right at the joint in the knee. I still go over it again in my mind... and of course, I wish I had made the decision to find another way. I made the decision to do it, it was my fault. Nobody elses.

As far as a pointer for fast woods riding, Denton (I think) only looks at trees on one side of the trail. Not both. He cuts as close as he can to that one side and lets "mother nature" do the rest. I guess if he's on a GNCC track, he knows he can make it through all ridden trails.

Lil90man!!
03-23-2002, 06:10 PM
haha i love that hill, if you notice there is racks in the pic that is my stepdad on his rancher but right to his right is a hill that drops down bout 40 feet i go down that get into 3rd and when it starts to get steep stay on the tank and stay on the gas sometimes i would hit second when i got clear to the top and didn't wanna ramp! but the first time i did it i was kinda scared and i had hammered all the way up and i hit a little lip there and it kinda got a lil messed up goin up it and i landed to the right a little way up in the those trees then i climbed it a few more times just mess'n around ridin wheelies up it:D but the funest part is comin back down cuz right where the rancher is is a coal hill hit that about 4th gear coming off that hill WHEEEEEE lol u go like 15-20 feet then hit a downhill landing its fun!

03-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Here are tips on climbing hills.

:Hit the hill with momentum and keep your weight in the middle of the quad so if you hit something unexpectedely it wont be as hard to recover.

:If you hit the hill fast enough you can jump up it.

:dont let off the gas.:blah

:If you get too much traction and start to come back slip the clutch and lean forward so the tires will start spinning again.

04-04-2002, 02:03 PM
In a dirtwheels mag (i forget the month) they interviwed a trail champ. racer he says to use the front brake around turns. It works pretty well.

Zingnut
04-04-2002, 03:29 PM
I have one tip I use to corner faster in the woods but its not to healthy for the motor. I used to race street bikes and when we entered a corner you down shift to the use the compression of the motor to assist the brakes. I have adapted this to my woods riding and have found something that is benefical. I down shift releasing the clutch between shifts that brings the revs way up and starts to lock or skip the rear tires thus it is starting a slide as I enter the corner then give her **** that starts the spinning tires to slide me around the corner much smoother than just entering the corner with the brakes. Not sure its healthy for the motor to send it to those high rpm's fast like that but have had no troubles with my quad.

lildude
04-05-2002, 06:33 PM
well for trail riding all i know is dont try to over do it esp. when u dont know the trails very well. as for hill climbing i dont go up super steep hills but from the ones i do go up i always just go wide open till i get to the very top then let off so i dont weelie of nething off the top

an dmost importantly dont hit trees ive only hit 2 but i made the second one count

250rampage
04-07-2002, 09:10 PM
My 2 biggest things are try and have fun at all times. I try to never ride "just to get somewhere". The other is always keep a good $200 pad of cash for quad's only. You never know when you'll have to buy a new steering stem or set of bars.

05-03-2002, 09:13 PM
When your going up a hill try to keep ur rpms up to keep the wheels spinning. Its not really how fast u need to hit the hill. On
My Warrior i go up Huge hills and unless i wanna get air off them i go up them in second gear. If the quad starts to die feather the clutch and keep the momentum. It takes practice but once u master it u will climb ANY hill :cool:

Castor-426ex
05-05-2002, 09:30 PM
my tips .........never scratch yourself while navigating rough terrain
........Dont grab the thorn bush bare handed......it hurt didnt it?
........Dont ride with your mouth open
........Do not chase after wild animals.....well....im a little partial on that one

RdingManiac420
05-06-2002, 07:58 PM
What always works for me is, when in doubt, balls to the wall!! Dont ever be the one being made fun of for not doing something..... just be crazy. If you crash whats the worst that can happen?;)

xfox250x
05-08-2002, 05:39 PM
when ur ridin hills hit it really fast an if u get off the gas dont get back on it especially at the top cuz i was climbin a hill pretty long ago and i didnt have enough speed and i gave it gas at the top the thing stood up and knocked me off n i fell like 10 feet but i was lucky that the quad got up and didnt chase after me

lildude
05-08-2002, 06:45 PM
i just recently got a 400 ex and so far i learned first of all on hills check them out first like make sure there aint no deep ruts or anything and kinda watch for like a bump in small hillsand somtimes on big hills because if u hit a bump in 3rd gear or so goin up a hill it feels weird jumping while going up a steep hillo and most importantly unless ur trying to jump high dont go overly fast going up a hill

frogburner
05-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Ya,,, What Fearthis said earlier is right , Watch out for the TREES. You could bend or fracture your A-Arms, and its not to cheap to replace that.. As far as hills go, if your not comfortable at steep hills, start out with little ones, and work your way up as you get more educated about hillclimbing.... I learned that the hardway... No borken bones, but muscle tissue swelling was taking place around my ribcage... IT HURTS TOO... If people laugh at ya cause you wont go up a certain hill, so what,,, your the one riding with sense... Have fun at riding, dont try to injure yourself..

xfox250x
05-13-2002, 06:50 PM
wen ur climbin hills make sure u no wats on the other side once i was ridin and went up a like 10 foot hill and on the other side was almost straight down and a pile of dirt right there and i hit it and flipped the quad and put a big gash in my leg from the bars it was bad so make sure u no

MOFO
05-14-2002, 06:07 AM
this usually holds true in most cases. When in doubt, nail the gas....

Eric

05-14-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
this usually holds true in most cases. When in doubt, nail the gas....

Eric

What happened here then Eric.:eek: OMG,,,I'm LMFAO:devil

05-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Sorry I was laughin so hard I forgot the pick...

knighttime
05-14-2002, 08:41 AM
run out of gas.

:eek:

MOFO
05-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Oh I cant wait for the WV ride! My camera will be nice and warmed up! LMAO! I cant believe this pic came out again......ahhhh :D

This is what happens when everything that could go wrong, went wrong when you are trying to blaze a new trail. :p

05-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Still LMAO...:D

MOFO
05-14-2002, 01:03 PM
ok, you mofo's.....I've circled the two main hangup points and also circled the area that was all frozen ice covering a very deep mudhole/creek.

The two points circled in yellow are where the quad was hung up. The front tire was intermixed with a tree that had fallen and when my quad got spun around because the ice broke, this is when my front end "landed" in this mess. Also, the other circle shows where my quad was hung up on the frame...right before the swing arm. I was basically floating back and forth on the ice "jam". If I pushed my quad back, my back tires would be completely submerged (thats how deep the "hidden by ice" mud hole was" Oh and the blue circle shows the area that was the mudhole/creek that was hidden by the ice....

so there is my detailed story :D :D :D

05-14-2002, 01:12 PM
LMAO,,,,I still think you run out of gas cuz that little mud hole shouldn't have stopped ya eric..;) I guess this pic will never die huh,,,,Eric you gonna have your camera mounted to the side of your helmet at Hatfield so you can get every chance possible to catch me and Mike in a bad spot...Oh this trip is gonna be soooo much fun..

MOFO
05-14-2002, 01:15 PM
**** ya! I cant wait.

dont worry...there will be spots for everyone to get stuck/screw up in. :D

knighttime
05-14-2002, 01:20 PM
and these on the WV ride

:cool:

knighttime
05-14-2002, 01:22 PM
:blah

knighttime
05-15-2002, 12:43 PM
what kind of tires r u gonna use in wv? :confused:

05-15-2002, 12:59 PM
I"m gonna buy me some Maxxis Razr 6 ply 23's up front and 22's on the rear,,,I think they'll do the trick..:blah I'd like ta get some mudders like you got,,but I don't do any mudding really so I think an all around trail tire will do the job..

knighttime
05-15-2002, 01:02 PM
mine are for the exteme mud, I may take my holeshots if its gonna be dry.

05-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
mine are for the exteme mud, I may take my holeshots if its gonna be dry.

Well I plan on taken a complete set of spare tires I think and a bead breaker in case they need to be swapped out...I'd bring the holeshots mounted and put the mudders on after a few rides ta see what things look like..

Taco
05-15-2002, 06:54 PM
my holeshots do good for WV mud.

05-19-2002, 12:00 PM
i hate holeshots in the mud! they just spin and fling mud at me:grr

knighttime
05-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Matrix250R
i hate holeshots in the mud! they just spin and fling mud at me:grr

i agree :o

05-20-2002, 09:19 PM
It seems to bend tie rods!:devil

Adam F
05-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Hey knighttime, what kind of tires are those in that picture?

knighttime
05-29-2002, 09:22 AM
is the company name and Realtor is the name of the tire.