PDA

View Full Version : Any one get the new People Mag (ATV article in there)?

Foxyangel0425
04-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi All:

If you haven't checked out the new PEOPLE mag (the one with the olsen twins on it) you might want to check it out. They have quite a few pages of "the dangers of kids on ATV's" some really sad stories in there of young children dying and some ones that survived but are mentally/physically challenged :(

04-22-2004, 06:37 PM
yea there prolly on modded raptors to

brian-250
04-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Overkillkfx400

ATC 250rs:eek2: i saw that once:rolleyes:

Foxyangel0425
04-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Overkillkfx400

????:confused:

JOEX
04-22-2004, 09:36 PM
It's sad that kids are dying or getting hurt on ATV's but IMO 99% of these deaths are due to one or more of the following:

1. Lack of proper training.
2. Lack of supervision.
3. Lack of proper riding gear.
4. Lack of common sense.

RedEx XCRider
04-22-2004, 09:41 PM
its number 4...theres a real high number of Retards thats why they ride yamahas :huh

04-22-2004, 09:45 PM
oh yea what does someone riding a yamaha have to do with anything....i acually prefer yamahas over hondas....hondas have alot of drawbacks and you know it and people always make up excuses to stand up for honda....and IMO the yamaha yfz is faster on the track and a better machine than the trx450r...and its not that i don't like honda..if i didn't i wouldn't be here but i'm sick of hearing you people making fun of yamaha because hondas aren't that great....

Foxyangel0425
04-23-2004, 05:55 AM
sorry guys but i have to say it doesn't matter what you ride these kids are either A: Dying or they are mentally challanged now....its just sad. So many of these parents don't understand they have to wear their helmet and ride safely!! I don't know how many times I have posted on here were kids weren't wearing their helmets and died riding any kind of ATV!!

Also, how many times have u see adults on here saying always wear your helmet cause look what can happen (getting hurt, being in a coma for months on end)?

Simple fact is....people adults and kids need to WAKE UP and realize these are dangerous toys unless you have the proper gear and schooling your going to get hurt!!!!! :o :mad: :grr:

chucked
04-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Everything is dangerous. You can die doing anything. Why dont they put atv death figures against auto death figures. or people walking down the street and getting hit by a car figures.

04-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Why dont they put atv death figures against auto death figures.

I have seen those numbers compared at ATV deaths is quit a bit higher percentage!!!!!

wilkin250r
04-23-2004, 11:51 AM
The percentage of ATV deaths is much higher.

The biggest issue/problem is that people have this misconception that ATVs are safer because they are so much easier to ride. And it makes sense. You feel much safer on a Honda Rincon than you do on a CR250, so people go riding them double and triple, without helmets, and drunk, and then they get into accidents.

The problem with the media is that they sensationalize these events, and portray ATVs as extremely dangerous, but not in a postive manner. They don't say that ATVs are dangerous, so you must exercise caution and use proper safety gear. No, instead they should be banned!

Thank you, Mrs. Reporter, for attempting to save me from myself, for I am obviously too stupid to exercise self-control and proper safety measures.

Foxyangel0425
04-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Thank you, Mrs. Reporter, for attempting to save me from myself, for I am obviously too stupid to exercise self-control and proper safety measures. [/B]

You have a very good point, but you are older than most of these kids and know to wear a helmet etc! Parents should make sure they ride with safety gear at all times (their kids) if they aren't home LOCK IT UP so your kid won't be stupid and run off w/no safety stuff on. :mad:

Toadz400
04-23-2004, 04:07 PM
...All I can say is that we need concentration camps for people without common sense and hippies....

After that we will finally be able to achieve world peace:devil:

CowsBitePeople
04-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Everything is dangerous. You can die doing anything. Why dont they put atv death figures against auto death figures. or people walking down the street and getting hit by a car figures.

there are more cars than quad u couldnt really compare, less quads less accidents more cars more often u see an accident

QuadJunkies
04-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It's sad that kids are dying or getting hurt on ATV's but IMO 99% of these deaths are due to one or more of the following:

2. Lack of supervision.
4. Lack of common sense.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!:mad:

Foxyangel0425
04-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Here is the full article in a nut shell:

Danger on Four Wheels The popularity of ATV's is soaring.
So are the numbers of children killed or mamed by these deceptively risky--and almost totally unregulated---vehicles
By Bill Hewitt

Fourth grader Kyle Rabe had just finished an afternoon snack. Then he went back to doing what he loved best--riding his family's all terrain verhicle across the open fields of rural Turner, Ore. Moments later Kyle's parents, Tom and Sue, got a frantic all from a neighbor that something had happened. Racing over, they saw Kyle, 10 lying motionless and facedown on the side of a hill. the 500-lb ATV, which another neighbor had pulled off Kyle, rested nearby. Tom tried CPR, but it was no use. His only son died in his arms. "Tom told me he could smell the cookies and milk on Kyle's breath," says Sue. "then he could feel Kyl'es warm body growing cold. Its so hard to believe we lost him in the blink of an eye" Whats worse is that the Rabes' tradedy is no isolated incident. As the popularity of ATV's has skyrocketd in recent years--roughly 800,000 were sold in 2002 double the number in 1997--so too has the body count from accident on the vehicles, with children accounting for an alarming # of the victims. the US Consumer Product Safty Commission estimates that while children under 16 comprise 17% of ATV drivers, they represent one-third of al the injuries and deaths involving the vehicles. In 2001 there were 467 deaths from ATV's 119 of them children. This is only a small % of deaths and injuries frm bicycle accidents. But there is a growing outcry that something must be done to improve ATV safety for kids--who, in most sates are allowed to ride the large, powerful vehicles regardless of age, in few if any restrictions. It's a slaughter says Dr Gary Smith chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics committee that monitors the issue. Smith emphatically endores the academy's position that, because kids under the age of 16 lack the necessary judgment and skills, they should NEVER be allowed aboard an ATV of any size!

Basically-a lot of parent say they are sorry they let their children ride bigger quads at a young age....several of them have died! If you want to read more get the latest PEOPLE

Toadz400
04-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Those things piss me off....a 4th grader riding a 500 lb quad?? Unless they are over-emphasizing the size of the quad like they did with Ozzy (600 lb 150mph Banshee) that kid definately shouldn't have been able to ride that quad.

I started out riding around 6 or 7 on a LT185 up until I was 13 when my dad bought me a Banshee. Yes that sounds like a big difference in power, which it was, but I had the common sense not to try to go 6th gear pinned all over the place. I got used to the quad and picked up enough skill to where I could handle it. A lot of these kids just hop on a four wheeler and think they can handle it because they are tough little kindergarteners:macho .

That 16 years old law needs to be changed to weight and height and years of experience. Or at least to 15...because it's bull that you have to be 16 just to ride a 229EX or something smaller like that.

I say we need to kill all the hippies and tree huggers...they are doing nothing but destroying this country with there anti-everything antics:grr:

MOFO
04-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

2. Lack of supervision.
4. Lack of common sense.

yep, and your list can be applied to MANY other sports out there. If people dont do the above, injury or death can occur with anything....especially #4.

thomez
04-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Natural selection.

Foxyangel0425
04-24-2004, 03:58 PM
there is a picture of the cute little boy and the quad he was riding it was a 4x4 quad looks like Artic cat???? its very big! Sadly there is another story in there where another young little boy went from a small quad to a "adult" quad and his face was smashed because it over turned on him.....he died by the time paramtics got to him. Another little boy again riding a adult quad and he again was crushed under the quad....luckly he survived but had to have several major surgery's to repair was was left of his face. They even list quads that young children should be riding and when!! I would honestly pick up this People Mag at your local store and check out the story......it starts on page 55.