PDA

View Full Version : YFZ swingarms and rear brakes

jlhughes750
04-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Ok, I've been wondering a few things. I have not been able to make any GNCC's this year so I have not had a chance to walk PRO row and check anything out!

I heard Smiley had brake issues in SC. I saw Derisi running a stock swinger on his but it was a local race (so maybe it was a practice bike). I saw Ballance had a stocker on his bike (but it was a display at the Indy show)..

How many out there have aftermarket swingers, and how many decided to use the R set up in the rear.. I'm waiting on my swing arm and will be using all R parts, axle,carrier,brake nut,rotor,caliper etc..... I have had the stock rear brake go away while racing a harescramble. I am on my 3rd set of rear pads. I think Yammi dropped the ball on the rear brakes, but then I saw that a few of the PROs may be using the stock set up???? The bikes that the PRO's roll up to the line at the GNCC's do they all have R brakes on the rear or not???

Pappy
04-22-2004, 08:56 AM
most of the ones ive seen remain stock. Andy L has just switched to an aftermarket swing arm but i didnt look at the brake caliper.

the yfz brakes are mushy compared to the TRX or even old R brakes.

04-22-2004, 09:05 AM
The only person on Por row that I know of that is running an aftermarket swing arm is Bryan Cook. Duvall was but after breaking chains went back to stock.

jlhughes750
04-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
The only person on Por row that I know of that is running an aftermarket swing arm is Bryan Cook. Duvall was but after breaking chains went back to stock.

HHHMMMMMM interesting.....breaking chains huh??????

Maybe the added travel of the ELKA link????

I think Chris Borich has a Laeger.

04-22-2004, 09:31 AM
That might be correct about Chris.

I think most of the other guys run ars fx componets which they do not have a swing-arm avaliable for the YFZ yet.

xcyfz450
04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
borich is running the laeger setup with r parts

powerstroke
05-01-2004, 04:02 PM
from what i hear the long travels do tend to break chains. you also have to shim the airbox up. I ordered a custom axis standard travel for mine. I have personally had great luck with the brakes and brake pads on my yfz. I used to go through rear pads on my 400ex every race. I have 4 races on my yfz rear pads and they still look good! There are a couple guys that have broken swingarms but not many. The nice thing is if you break one you can buy a stocker on ebay for 100 bucks. Matt

jlhughes750
05-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Anyone have the chain coming loose all the time????

Also with the Axis rear shock (std.)travel, are u guys able to get the bike low enough??

m. smiley
05-03-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm recently switched to a Lonestar swingarm with the round housing for simple chain adjustment .as far as the rear brake I've been using stock but I've had problems and will be switching to R style for Rousch Creek put your stock swinger in the trash you'll be glad to see it go.

05-03-2004, 08:04 PM
i tink chris has a jb swing arm

powerstroke
05-03-2004, 08:11 PM
JL hughes.......The standard travel axis rear dramatically lowers the ride height of the bike. Matt

jlhughes750
05-04-2004, 09:46 AM
thanks for the feedback guys!!!

Mr. Smiley:) I saw u had problems in SC so i figured I may see u with the R set up soon..(beware the pipe smashing the caliper with the LSR "R" set up) . I appreciate the feedback thanks.

One of my few complaints on the YFZ.. the rear brakes are tiny. the frt.s are over built!!!