PDA

View Full Version : XC tires on a MX track

James Parent
04-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey i'm going to start racing MX soon and i was wondering.. do i need beadlocks on my tires for say the first year .. this is going to be my first year, and about a month ago i got ITP Holeshot XCR-03 rears, and XC front tires and rims..

will it be ok to race with these till i know what i want?
james

Berry
04-21-2004, 09:16 PM
yes! its definitley ok. beadlocks are not a must whatsoever for MX. alot of people run plain out rims, and alot run beadlocks but you will probally never break a bead MX racing unless your just smashing ruts left and right as hard as you can! dont worry about beadlocks your off just as good with regular rims. but XC racing is a different story!

04-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Berry
yes! its definitley ok. beadlocks are not a must whatsoever for MX. alot of people run plain out rims, and alot run beadlocks but you will probally never break a bead MX racing unless your just smashing ruts left and right as hard as you can! dont worry about beadlocks your off just as good with regular rims. but XC racing is a different story!

Not really man. Beadlocks are made to keep the tires on the bead. Coming into hard corners at high speeds cause the tires to come off the rim. Beadlocks are pretty much a must for any racing really. My suggestion is to pick up a used set or something, before you ruin a good set of reg rims.

Berry
04-21-2004, 09:52 PM
sorry but ive been mxing for awhile and i have never had any problems with my tires dismounting from the bead. neither have all the people that i know! im my opinion, beadlocks are a waste of money unless your some doug gust or time farr type of rider!

ive been racing with regular douglas wheels for about 9 months now and have had NO problems! so if its your first season i would say you didnt need beadlocks! but do what you want

James Parent
04-22-2004, 06:18 AM
thanks guys