PDA

View Full Version : Smoking 416

EX_RIDER
03-16-2002, 08:23 AM
I just starting to break in my 416 piston and cam.But it is smoking just as bad as it was before I rebuilt it.I only got say 1 hour of use on the quad so far?

Is this normal or will it go away soon?

Leo
03-16-2002, 09:01 AM
when you had it all apart did you happen to replace the valve seals..?

are you sure that your rings are gapped and indexed properly..?

how bad is it smoking, and when..?

what type and weight of oil are you running..?

Leo

shook
03-16-2002, 07:16 PM
I hope your not running synthetic oil in that thing to break it in that will cause the rings not seet.Did you hone the cylinder with enough cross hatch if the isnt enough it takes longer and some times they wont seet.

EX_RIDER
03-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Running 10w45 in it now.It smokes all the time when it is running and I put in new valve stem seals when I did the engine?We didn't do anything to the rings.I didn't think i would have to being that it was a new piston and a new bore?How do I do that?SHould i still try to break it in more?

I have rode
20 mins change oil
30 mins then cool down
30 mins then another cool down.

It runs strong but is smoking like it is burning oil ?

Leo
03-16-2002, 11:11 PM
There are a few things that could be going on...

The rings are improperly installed (wrong end gap, gaps lined up, upside down, etc...)

The valve stem seals are going (not really clear in your reply.. you did replace them..??)

The oil filter is over-oiled.. Made that mistake and mine smoked like crazy for a while..

It just needs more ride time for the rings to seat properly..

Did you have a shop do the work for you, or did you do it yourself..?

Leo

MIKE400EX
03-17-2002, 06:10 AM
Leo, how do we properly oil the OIL filter?:huh

EX_RIDER
03-17-2002, 07:19 AM
New valve steam seals in it now.The oil filter may be over oiled if i think about it.But my question is did I have to gap the rings when I put them in?We though that since they are new it didn't need it done.
I did all the work along with my dad beside me.

shook
03-17-2002, 07:34 AM
You should always check them but every set I have checked have been ok.

EX_RIDER
03-17-2002, 02:57 PM
I just put a new air filter on it and rode it around and it still smoked alot. Do you guys think that the place I got to bore it did bore to much out?I gave him my cylinder,new piston and that sheet that said piston specks.The place that bored it was barnhearts honda and susuki or Ruffcreak Pa.

I really want to get my quad right before I get quad fevor.And to beat my 400ex not running right,my 87 LT 250 I got melted a hole in the piston.It is only the second day o havign it too!But for the price I paid for it,it still is great.

EX_RIDER
03-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Leo
There are a few things that could be going on...

The rings are improperly installed (wrong end gap, gaps lined up, upside down, etc...)

Leo

What should I do to cheak this out?The letters on the piston are facing up and the ring opening are not rall lined up.Is there some way to spread the gap open more?Could have the place i bored at over bored it out to much?

400exRacerX
03-17-2002, 03:26 PM
I would have to say its got something to do with your rings. Theres only two ways oil can get into the combustion chamber one, through the piston and two, through the valves. you said you replaced the seals so its got to be the piston rings. I will be putting my 416 back together this week once I get my cylinder back from my dealer and hopefully it will go right. I know how you feel man and it sucks. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer your question.

Leo
03-17-2002, 04:13 PM
well, it's very hard to say anything from a distance..

exactly how bad is it smoking..? white smoke? blue smoke?

some other things I neglected to mention in my previous post, make sure the breather tube from the motor to the intake boot isn't plugged / pinched..

as far as the rings go.. to little end gap and when the ring's expand it may cause damage to the cylinder walls and/or the motor to sieze up.. BUT like the previous poster said 99% of the time they are OK (so the odds are in your favor)..

If it's only smoking a little bit, I'd probably put a few hours on it and see if the rings seat..

If it's really smoking badly and using a large amount of oil, I'd be tempted to pull the jug off and double check the oil control rings.. paying special attention to make sure the expanding ring was correctly installed behind the 2 scrapers..

Leo